In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Which is more valuable,Knowledge or

bigt7mmbigt7mm Member Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭
edited March 2005 in General Discussion

Comments

• Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wisdom more = common sense than knowledge.
    All the knowledge in the world won't get you anywhere without the common sense to go with it.

Marge: 'Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday.'
    Homer: 'Woo-hoo! Four-day weekend!'
  • Options
    bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Knowledge is found at the library in vast amounts, more probably than one's mind can retain. Wisdom is what it takes to write a book that ends up in the library.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    two hookers and a circus clown....er wrong thread...[:0]

annoyaliberal.jpgnotmyfault.gif
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I know people with the Knowledge to use a wrench, but dont have the wisdom to..[:D]

yo-yo.gif
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    knowledge, wisdom, or experience?

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg
  • Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    God luck, then wisdom.
  • Options
    bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Actually I think imagination trumps all. The ability to create something from nothing but an idea is the closest man can come to knowing what it is to be a god.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Options
    ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
    edited November -1
    All three. That is: intelligence, knowledge, and wisdom (which we'll define as equivalent to common sense, natural and/or from experience). You can impress people with knowledge, but you'll never be able to apply it without common sense and you'll never form any unique knowledge of your own without intelligence. You can get through life on wisdom alone, but you'll have to work way too hard at it if you don't have knowledge and intelligence. And you can solve problems with intelligence, but not without knowledge to build solutions on and common sense to evaluate your solutions.

I wouldn't want to go through life being short of any three of these in at least some small ration.
  • Options
    victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    knowledge, wisdom, or experience?
    Wisdom first,(also common sense),knowledge next,(being able to find it not just know it).Being able to use common sense with all the above , and being able to recall your screwups,(experience).The trouble is once you have it all , your not able to remember any of it, or just parts of it.Dang.[:D][:D][:D]

And this has come to pass,not to stay.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    correct on both counts
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wisdom is knowledge intelligently applied. Therefore, it is more valuable. Common sense, imagination and experience are subjective and situational, and therefore less valuable (viz., it was once "common sense" to believe that the earth was flat; "imagination" without knowledge will forever remain an idea; and "experience" is but individual, second-order response to first-order stimuli).
  • Options
    plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    pieces of 8[}:)]

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for." -- Will Rogers

My friend is one... who takes me for what I am.
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DancesWithSheep
    Wisdom is knowledge intelligently applied. Therefore, it is more valuable. Common sense, imagination and experience are subjective and situational, and therefore less valuable (viz., it was once "common sense" to believe that the earth was flat; "imagination" without knowledge will forever remain an idea; and "experience" is but individual, second-order response to first-order stimuli).

I have to disagree on your assessment of the value of common sense. I roll it into wisdom because I don't see a significant difference between the two (unless common sense means only the sense shared by society's members in common, but that'd be too rational for any discussion at the level this one is riding [;)]). Although it was common sense at one time to believe that the Earth was flat, that exact common sense was merely the intelligent application of what was known about the Earth (using then-known methods and reasoning to so apply it) to one's view of the world, which I believe fits your definition of wisdom. I won't dispute your ordering of virtues, but I'll instead say this: wisdom may be the most important, but it's only really useful if you have enough wisdom to doubt your own knowledge (and the wisdom based on it).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ZERODIN
    ...to one's view of the world

Damn, I love the German language. So precise. Consider the signficant difference in the words weltanschauung (world view) and verstehen (understanding). Wisdom lies precisely in knowing the difference, and why.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ...to one's view of the world

Damn, I love the German language. So precise. Consider the signficant difference in the words weltanschauung (world view) and verstehen (understanding). Wisdom lies precisely in knowing the difference, and why.

Yes, the Germanspeakingandwritinglanguagewithlongcompoundnouns certainly has its benefits.
  • Options
    RadCatRadCat Member Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][8D][}:)]

Duhhhh!

Mail me a dollar (cash only please) to cover expenses, and a self adressed, properly stamped envelope, and I will reveal to you the source of the secret to the answer you seek. [}:)][}:)][}:)][;)][;)][:X]

gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    Wisdom because along with wisdom comes common sense and that is more important than any knowledge based education.[;)]

Larry
    binladen.gifShowLetter.gif
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    Where does instinct fit into all this. You can attain Knowledge, wisdom and experience but instinct is the most valueable[;)]

I do what ever the voices in my wifes head tells me to dosarcastic joke
  • Options
    rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    Um....I's go with luck![:D]

If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made tham out of meat!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MVP
    Where does instinct fit into all this. You can attain Knowledge, wisdom and experience but instinct is the most valueable.

Great question! However, you can't have instinct without knowledge, wisdom and experience. But what is interesting is that even with knowledge, wisdom and experience, instinct will likely still elude you. Consider: The great art critic Berenson walked into the Dresdan Museum after WWII and informed the curator that half the paintings on display were fakes. Outraged, the curator demanded Berenson explain why he would say that. Berenson replied, "Take that Reubens over there. Look at the brushwork on the figure's inner ear. That is not a Reubens technique." He then proceeded to point out similar flaws with several dozen other paintings. To prove Berenson wrong, the curator submitted a random sampling of paintings for carbon dating and chemical tests. In each case, the paintings were determined to be frauds. The art community rocked with the news. They begged Berenson to write down all the rules he used to detect fake paintings, which he did and published a year later. However, when other art critics attempted to duplicate Berenson's ability by following the rules he had written, they all failed. Why? Likely because Berenson was making observations and weighting nuances that even he was unaware of, and therefore was unable to articulate to others. This ability is the "instinct" to which you refer, and is what allows great judges, doctors and detectives to "sense" (as much as know) the truth about someone or something.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MVP
    Where does instinct fit into all this. You can attain Knowledge, wisdom and experience but instinct is the most valueable.

Great question! However, you can't have instinct without knowledge, wisdom and experience. But what is interesting is that even with knowledge, wisdom and experience, instinct will likely still elude you. Consider: The great art critic Berenson walked into the Dresdan Museum after WWII and informed the curator that half the paintings on display were fakes. Outraged, the curator demanded Berenson explain why he would say that. Berenson replied, "Take that Reubens over there. Look at the brushwork on the figure's inner ear. That is not a Reubens technique." He then proceeded to point out similar flaws with several dozen other paintings. To prove Berenson wrong, the curator submitted a random sampling of paintings for carbon dating and chemical tests. In each case, the paintings were determined to be frauds. The art community rocked with the news. They begged Berenson to write down all the rules he used to detect fake paintings, which he did and published a year later. However, when other art critics attempted to duplicate Berenson's ability by following the rules he had written, they all failed. Why? Likely because Berenson was making observations and weighting nuances that even he was unaware of, and therefore waS unable to articulate TO others. This ability is the "instinct" to which you refer, and is what allows judges, doctors and detectives to "sense" (as much as know) the truth about someone or something.

Wow. My instincts suck by comparison - they just tell me to be irrationally afraid of snakes, worms, bugs, and other creatures with numbers of appendages other than 2 or 4.
  • Options
    cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Great question! However, you can't have instinct without knowledge, wisdom and experience.

False, an instinct is a behavior common to all members of a species that they participate in without choice...humans have no instincts.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ZERODIN/Cletus85: Obviously, I was not referring to the baser, involuntary human instincts (like procreation, survival, etc.) as you wrongly assumed. Did you even bother to read the context in which my remarks were made, or are you simply unaware of the difference?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [;)]I knew what you meant, but I just thought I'd throw something in here irrelavent[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ZERODIN/Cletus85: Obviously, I was not referring to the baser, involuntary human instincts (like procreation, survival, etc.) as you wrongly assumed. Did you even bother to read the context in which my remarks were made, or are you simply unaware of the difference?

I can't speak for Cletus, but I read it all, understood it all, and chose to make a joke out of feigned ignorance. Sometimes I forget that (a) not all jokes are funny and (2) not everyone appreciates them when they are. [:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah ZERODIN, besides I know better than to bandy words with ole wise * here[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sometimes I forget that (a) not all jokes are funny and (2) not everyone appreciates them when they are.

Yes, I noticed similar hilarity with the German language precision post.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cletus85
    Yeah ZERODIN, besides I know better than to bandy words with ole wise * here.

Ah, spoken like a true scholar, not like an ole wise * like me. Tell me, Cletus, in using the word bandy, were you deliberately trying to flatter yourself or simply mask your apparent reading deficit?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Ah, spoken like a true scholar, not like an ole wise * like me. Tell me, Cletus, in using the word bandy, were you deliberately trying to flatter yourself or simply mask your apparent reading deficit?

I had to look it up of course, but I'm still not sure it's the word I wanted...[?]
  • Options
    RadCatRadCat Member Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My ears are presenly ringing, although (thank goodness) I still hear no voices speaking to me in tongues. Or is it a low pitch rumble?

Plenty of dissected semantic play here. I guess it must have some catharctic redemption value. Mind twisters, tongue twisters, ego strokers. Somewhere there is a message. Wouldn't you think so?

Or is it a waste of virtual cyberspace? [:D][:D][:D][8D][8D][B)][|)]

edited November -1
    Sometimes I forget that (a) not all jokes are funny and (2) not everyone appreciates them when they are.

Perhaps you're just missing the joke here because your dictionary and mine aren't the same. What does yours say for instinct? Mine reads:
    quote:1 : a natural or inherent aptitude, impulse, or capacity <had an instinct for the right word>
    2 a : a largely inheritable and unalterable tendency of an organism to make a complex and specific response to environmental stimuli without involving reason b : behavior that is mediated by reactions below the conscious level

Except for 2b, there is nothing approaching the definition you are using. 2b itself still carries the connotation of something not gained by experience but rather by inheritance, particularly given that it's only a subdefinition under 2, so a similar theme to that in bold applies to it.

Perhaps your dictionary says this under instinct, instead:
    quote:1 : quick and ready insight
    2 a : immediate apprehension or cognition b : knowledge or conviction gained by intuition c : the power or faculty of attaining to direct knowledge or cognition without evident rational thought and inference

Of course, my dictionary says that that's the definition of intuition, so your dictionary must be different than mine. Perhaps those pages are stuck together so that you get to instinct on the bottom of one page and read its definition at the top of a page 5 or 7 subsequent? Do the sticky pages account for the differences in our dictionaries?

The joke here, DWS, is that your very specific complaint about the precision of the English language is not the fault of the English language at all, but the fault of your own vocabulary not providing the accurate definitions for words that are required to produce precise sentences. It is this deficiency that put you into category 2 from my post above; not out of any difficulty with your sense of humor or conscious decision not to appreciate the joke, but rather a complete and utter inability to appreciate it due to shortcomings in your command of the English language.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One has to have Knowledge to have Wisdom.
  • Options
    jl45jl45 Member Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Which is more valuable, Knowledge or Wisdom? Hmmm?"

Firepower, and the ability to apply it in an effective manner.[^]

jl45
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    wisdom.. if you are wise you will gain knowledge.

Greg
    Former Marine
    A N G L I C O
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Without curiosity, the rest is moot.

Clouder..
  • Options
    CrittergitterCrittergitter Member Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by whiteclouder
    Without curiosity, the rest is moot.

Clouder..

Without desire, even curiosity is moot...

If your beliefs aren't based in fact, TRUTH is the first casualty...
    penguins.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1

Perhaps you're just missing the joke here because your dictionary and mine aren't the same. What does yours say for instinct? Mine reads:
    quote:1 : a natural or inherent aptitude, impulse, or capacity <had an instinct for the right word>
    2 a : a largely inheritable and unalterable tendency of an organism to make a complex and specific response to environmental stimuli without involving reason b : behavior that is mediated by reactions below the conscious level

Except for 2b, there is nothing approaching the definition you are using. 2b itself still carries the connotation of something not gained by experience but rather by inheritance, particularly given that it's only a subdefinition under 2, so a similar theme to that in bold applies to it.

Perhaps your dictionary says this under instinct, instead:
    quote:1 : quick and ready insight
    2 a : immediate apprehension or cognition b : knowledge or conviction gained by intuition c : the power or faculty of attaining to direct knowledge or cognition without evident rational thought and inference

Of course, my dictionary says that that's the definition of intuition, so your dictionary must be different than mine. Perhaps those pages are stuck together so that you get to instinct on the bottom of one page and read its definition at the top of a page 5 or 7 subsequent? Do the sticky pages account for the differences in our dictionaries?

The joke here, DWS, is that your very specific complaint about the precision of the English language is not the fault of the English language at all, but the fault of your own vocabulary not providing the accurate definitions for words that are required to produce precise sentences. It is this deficiency that put you into category 2 from my post above; not out of any difficulty with your sense of humor or conscious decision not to appreciate the joke, but rather a complete and utter inability to appreciate it due to shortcomings in your command of the English language.

I see your problem (and RadCat's). You consider the dictionary a terminus rather than a heuristic assist, completely exhausting discussion of word meaning and use. Fact is, the word instinct as used in this context was Berenson's, not mine; perhaps your complaint would better be made to him, along with the admonition that, expert as he may be about matters of art and despite what he chooses to call his unconscious judgments and deliberations, you feel he should keep to the strict dictionary definition of the word, lest he incur your ire or RadCat's hand-wringing semantic concerns. BTW, I just looked up the word justice in my dictionary. Oddly enough, I did not find Thrasymachus' definition "nothing but the interest of the stronger". But then, Thrasymachus was a philosopher, not a philologist, so what would he know.
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    My definition of common sense is "The WISE use of KNOWLAGE"!![;)]
    You need both, but of the two the wisdom is the one you can use to make decissions, and stay out of trouble. If you are wise you will know when you are lacking in 'knowlage' and reframe from making stupid decissions.[^]

Self defence is an ablsolute and natural right. Keep your powder dry! J. Rau, Alaska
  • Options
    MRBEANMRBEAN Member Posts: 562 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sticking to the original question, I heard a quote many years ago, "With knowledge comes wisdom" I'm not getting into the rest of the argument (my dictionary is in the closet across the room), but that quote should say it all.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MRBEAN
    ...that quote should say it all.

Actually, that statement says nothing, tantamount to saying "With burger comes fries".