In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What type of dog is best for protection work?

trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Im curious to everyones opinions here.Im expecting to see alot of votes for the German Shepard because its a Police/Military dog but that doesnt mean they are the best out there.It could be because they are easy to train and contollable.I mean just the best mix of intelligence,loyalty,size,weight and just flat out ferocity.

Comments

• kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Jim Croce would vote for "junkyard dog"[:D]

orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
    edited November -1
    I'd pick a dog that weighed more then 50 lbs..
  • old06old06 Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doberman pincer 5 th smartest dog and with out fear take my word. Had a friend trained USAF working dogs and he said that with out hesitation would pick a doberman over many other's. I had 2 at one time our male passed 4 years ago. He was the most intelgent dog we ever seen I still have a female she is 9 now still smart as ever. We have a pit bull he about 3 years old a good friend but way down the chain as far as smarts go, but makes up for in bravery you dont want to get on his bad side.

psalms 16
  • Jake_S-83Jake_S-83 Member Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive got a boxer mastiff mix, it seems to do the trick

jake
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Question: What type of dog is best for protection work?

Answer: Any dog that will alert me so I can protect myself. I had a little toy fox terrier one time that would make a growl every time someone came close to our house. Day and night. I kept the "protection" on the nightstand--a Colt 1911.

Rafter-S
  • old06old06 Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is the list of the top 10.........Ranks 1 to 10
    Brightest Dogs

Understanding of New Commands: Less than 5 repetitions.

Obey First Command: 95% of the time or better.

Rank Breed
    1 Border Collie
    2 Poodle
    3 German Shepherd
    4 Golden Retriever
    5 Doberman Pinscher
    6 Shetland Sheepdog
    7 Labrador Retriever
    8 Papillon
    9 Rottweiler
    10 Australian Cattle Dog

I hope this helps

psalms 16
  • trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just saw a list on the net.It goes:
    1.Bullmastiff
    2.Doberman Pinscher
    3.Rottweiler
    4.Komondor
    5.Puli
    6.Giant Schnauzer
    7.German Shepard
    8.Rhodesian Ridgeback
    9.Kuvasz
    10.American Staffordshire Terrier
  • earthmvrearthmvr Member Posts: 473 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the most part protectivness depends more on the dog's personality and the training rather than the breed.

Personally I like mastiffs and great danes. They are not the meanest when it comes to fighting but the sheer size of them ( and bark ) scares the crap out of most people. Plus they are great with kids, you don't ever have to worry about them attacking someone unprevoked. But again it all depends on how they are raised and trained.

4dff19a9.gifc716f163.gif72d96bc6.jpg
    Proud member of the NRA and Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was
  • WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it has more to do with training and personality than breed but I have always had Shepard as pets. Dang smrt dogs but all have been adopted from shelters.

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it.
    I know the spelling is bad but guess what I DON'T CARE
  • kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive always prefer dobermans when I have a large yard. Very samrt, very loyal, and very protective. Never had one turn on me or ever even heard of one turning. I raised Blues and they would drive my wife crazy when I left and told them "take care of your momma." They would shadow her everywhere she went in the house till my return. Great discipline too. Max would guard a door as I opened it to see who it was. He'd never try to go around me and see who it was himself. But woe be your * if I steped out of the way without sending Max away first. Good luck trying to touch me with him in the room too. A friend slapped me on the back once and ended up pinned against a wall by my male and the female. Almost funny. I've had German sheps (which I love also), Rotties (which I hate but my mother loves, shes got a huge female right now), rodesian ridgebacks, pitts, and boxers but the best of all I would still say is the Doberman. The most well rounded dog for loyalty and protection. Unfortunately I only have a small yard with 4 jack russel terriers right now, but they make a great alarm system. My HP does the protection part.

James

Whats next? A ban on automatic transmissions?
  • Cyberdyne systemsCyberdyne systems Member Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also recommend a DOBERMAN, the one I had was the most intelligent dog I ever owned, also the most loyal, he never ran away like my other dogs. he never lost a fight, he had a natural very agressive fighting ability
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    44 special BULLDOG, out of charter arms.

flageagle.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Classic,I was waiting on somebody to say it.[:D]
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My daughter had three Dobermans that were dumb as a box of rocks.
  • gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    I have a rottwieler. She has shadowed my side for 7 years now. I never had to train her to protect, she just did. She is by far the most loyal dog Ive ever owned. She is also the smartest Ive ever owned. She was housbroken inside of a week at 6 weeks old and learned hand signals by 8 weeks. I feel completly safe with my door unlocked, thats for sure.

Larry