In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My first time out shooting clays!

concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I'm going Sunday morning! I can't wait; its supposed to be above 50 degrees for the first time in months. I've got my new semi-auto 12 Ga and a bunch of cartridges! [:D]

One last question for some of you with experience shooting clays; what choke should I use? I have 5 included with my shotgun, including Full, Modified, etc. The shells I bought are 2 3/4" 9 pellet (1 oz) Fiocchi.

Thanks!
G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT CriminalsThe 2nd Amendment; America's Original Homeland Security

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I would suggest Improved Choke, till ya get used to it then switch to Full choke.

eagle.gif
    "It is hard to soar with Eagles when your surrounded by Turkeys"

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • Options
    bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    All sporting clays ranges are different so I would go with something in the middle like an improved or an improved modified. Next time get some 7 1/2 or 8 so if one pellet hits the target will break. Sometimes the 9's will just dust the top off if you don't hit it solid. Have fun, you're gonna love it!!!

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,093 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends upon what you are shooting Concealed. For skeet either skeet or IC or Mod. something pretty open for wide patterns. I don't shoot trap or sporting clays, you will have to get another poster for those. I use a couple of o/u's the 12 is choked skeet/skeet and the 28 is choked IC/M.

He Dog
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your gonna love it.
  • Options
    toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    Make sure you shoot with both eyes open. If it's a trap gun they are purposely made to shoot high, if that's the case don't lead the bird.

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!

If they're still moving, put another round in them!

P239n_Beauty.gif
  • Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    Use either IC or Skeet choke, at some stations you may want to change to mod or IM. You shouldn't need full unless they have a duck tower, then use full and 7 1/2's. Most sporting clay shooters use 9's or 8's for the entire course and skeet choke.

NRA ENdowment, CRPA Life, NRA ILA EVC, Past President NRA Members Council
    Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem. Semper Fidelis
    marinesega2.jpg
  • Options
    claysclays Member Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad to hear that you are getting out G36. The weather has finally broken here in western NC and my wife & I are going to Benton Tn to shoot sporting clays tomorrow. Bought her a new gun for Christmas and she has only had one oportunity to use it since. I have been shooting sporting clays for about 15yrs now and have found for most courses the best choke is IC & #8 shot. You can play what I call the choke game and change at different stations but you will only complicate matters and loose your concentration. I carry one box of #9s for the really close shots & one box of 7.5s for distant rabbits. Might also add that an ounce & eigth load will give you a little more edge by having more shot. Good shooting & enjoy yourself.

Bob
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hope you take a pocket full of money!!!!![8D][:p][:D]

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    By 'clays',do you mean sporting clays,or trap,or skeet ,or??
    Telling us the exact type of shooing you're going to do will help us mess you.....er,I mean help you out. :)

Throckmortons' the alias,cas is the game.
  • Options
    daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    Did a job for a man and told him I was going to get the 12ga. and go skeet shooting the next day. *This is the honest truth!! He asked if skeet were good eating?[:(][:(]
  • Options
    gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    Modified.

Larry