In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sheriff Joe's Animal Safe Hospice: C&P

sheepdipsheepdip Member Posts: 3,124
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
Sheriff Joe's Animal Safe Hospice:

Sheriff Joe Arpiao's no-kill animal shelter, MASH, was created to house and care for animals that have been abused or neglected by their caretakers, and that have been rescued by the Animal Cruelty Investigation Unit. The purpose of the shelter is to provide a safe, healthy and healing shelter for these tragic animals, who must necessarily await the outcome of their owners' cruelty case in court. Hopefully, their ultimate outcome will be adoption into loving, permanent homes.

The MASH unit also houses the small pets of individuals who check into domestic violence shelters that do not accept pets. This is a no-cost service that can be provided for up to 60 days. The animals must have current shot records. Any medical costs expended while the pets are in Sheriff Joe's care will be the responsibility of the owner.

The first shelter opened by Sheriff Arpaio is in the First Avenue Jail, located at First Avenue and Madison Street, Phoenix, Arizona. This 30-year-old jail previously held inmates, but was closed for repairs to plumbing in 1999. Though it is no longer suitable for housing inmates, the jail is like a paradise to the four-footed victims now housed and recovering there. Detention officer staff and sentenced female inmates care for the animals. The shelter is air-conditioned and the cells have been reconditioned to comfortably house animals. Some critics have said that it's inhumane to put dogs and cats when in air-conditioned quarters when inmates don't have air-conditioning. A good answer came from one of the inmates assigned to care for the dogs. When asked if she was resentful about not having air-conditioning, she gestured to some of the dogs and said, "They didn't do anything wrong, I did."

MASH animals available for adoption have started their shot series and have been spayed-neutered. Persons adopting animals will be responsible to continuing shot series and ongoing medical care, if needed, as well as promise to treat their adopted animals with care and affection. MASH accepts cash donations, which are used for medical services. In-kind donations of food, equipment and professional care and training are also accepted.

Facts

? Animal cruelty is a violent crime and should be taken seriously.

? Animal abuse often occurs in homes where domestic violence, child abuse, and/or elder abuse are present.

? FBI studies confirm that several murders, including Jeffrey Dahmer, David Berkowitz (the Son of Sam), and Albert DeSalvo (the Boston Strangler), all tortured and mutilated animals when they were children.

? Animal Cruelty Investigators depend on the public to spot and report animal abuse.

Comments

• Options
    agman1999agman1999 Member Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure I can agree with a total "no-kill" policy at an animal shelter, especially if they're using public money in excess of what it would cost to run a normal shelter. However, I like the guy so much that I really can't complain.
  • Options
    sheepdipsheepdip Member Posts: 3,124
    edited November -1
    agman1999, I'm with you on the "no kill".
    I do like the part about the AC fot the shelter, not for the inmates.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    BlackRoses here...Not Classic...

I dont agree with the "no kill" as there are quite a number of animals that are sick, or can be mean, cannot be trusted etc...

I do love what the inmate said about the AC though, and its so true...

Public money is used to keep inmates, often repeat offenders, THEY DID SOMETHING WRONG, but we pay for it....

yo-yo.gifsmilie_flagge13.gifmittelgr124.gif
  • Options
    jl45jl45 Member Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote: "They didn't do anything wrong, I did."

Sounds like the project has given at least one inmate a new perspective on things.

jl45

NRA Life Member