In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I want to get a 300 win mag. have a few ?'sssssss

glutetootglutetoot Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited December 2006 in General Discussion
I can't decide what gun to get for my self. I really really want a 300 win mag. But everyone I know say's that they kick really hard. Although i have shot alot before this will be my first gun. I either want a 300 win mag, a 270win,or a 270wsm. I will be hunting almost everything, from varmets to elk. I will also be reloading all my ammo. I weigh about 200 lbs so i'm not a little guy.
My main questions are:
1. Honesty how hard do the 300 win mags kick? I have shot a 300 h&h, so how does that compare to a 300 win mag. I have also shot a 300 win mag, but it had a muzzle brake. I had no problem with the either of them.
2. Which calibar is the best alround gun? the 270 or the 300 calibar?
3. if i decide to get the 270 should it get the wsm over the standard?
well thanks for looking

Comments

• Options
    300Win_Mag300Win_Mag Member Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    300 Win Mag all they way!!!!! [:D]

The 300 doesn't "Kick" it is a solid thump. However, it is a magnum cartridge what do you expect? I currently have a varmint load of 72.5 gr. of powder pushing a 125 gr. sierra and it is fine for the first few shots but you feel it after about a dozen. I shoot a Model 70 300 Win Mag. Got questions, I might be able to answer them.

Having never shot a .270 I can't comment on them. However, a 300 Win Mag can be loaded down like I have it for varmints or loaded up for big game very easily.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I prefer the .300 Win Mag, but the big calibers do not bother me. If this is your first rifle, I'd go with the .270. You'll shoot it more and get more enjoyment out of it. It's plenty big for the game you are after. The .300 will bruise you...shoulder and cheek. It is an AWESOME caliber though!
  • Options
    37rangemaster37rangemaster Member Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have a remington model 700 sps in .300 win mag...very accurate and has very good ballistics...if you decide to get the 300 make sure the stock fits you...min is a little on the short side so i have to get into it a little more than i'd like which makes recoil a little worse...i plan on fixing the problem with a 2-3' stock extension...also dont shoot hornady SST bullets in it they are very accurate but do not do well in hunting situations (dont ask me how i know)i just picked up some 180 grain gamekings that i plan on trying...i also got rid of the factory remington triger and bought a rifle basix trigger which made a night and day difference in the performance of the rifle...i'd say go 300 but thats just my biast opinion[:D]
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Since you reload, of the three I'd recommend getting the 300 Mag. My personal choice is a 338 Mag; but I digress. By reloading you can reduce the load in the Mag so htat it's possible to shoot it a lot and accustom yourself to it. I shot at a great big elk with a 375 H&H; I missed and after I check the site sufficiently to confirm the shots missed, I went back to my stand to get the empty brass, because I couldn't say for sure that I had even fired the rifle since there was absolutely no sensation of recoil.- It's like that when you're shooting at something.
  • Options
    jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 37rangemaster
    i plan on fixing the problem with a 2-3' stock extension

Man, you got some long arms![:D]

Ben
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i'm 6'4" and the stock sysnthetic on the remingtons are pretty short in my opinion...the only position it really bothered me was shooting prone or sitting...i have to get so close to the scope etc with my head to get my shoulder firmly on the butt of the stock that i have had a few "oops'" involving my eyebrow[B)]
  • Options
    use enough gunuse enough gun Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 300 makes a nice little long range varmint rifle. Recoil? I've never noticed it shooting the kids 300. Dave
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your first gun and you're going to jump right into reloading too?

Are you going to shoot more varmits or more elk? Which is the real priority? If the priority is elk, I would use a 300Win Mag, if the priority is other stuff, I would use something else. When you're varmit hunting you're going to more than likely get alot of shots of in one day, pretty easily. This little task would be absolutely brutal with a 300WM. Yes you can take Varmit with it, as it is a fast, flat shooting caliber, but you shoot it twenty or thirty times and you're not going to want to do that twice.
  • Options
    roysharoysha Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let's face it. You "really, really" want a 300 WM so regardless of what is said here, you will never be satisfied with anything else, until you have owned one. Just go buy it and be done with it. While recoil can be calculated and so forth, the truth of the matter is, it is a lot of personal perception and how you deal with recoil. I DON'T like it so I don't own a magnum caliber. As far as I'm concerned, as I have stated several times before, if you can't kill it cleanly with a 270 Winchester, you probably shouldn't be hunting.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Balderdash!
    The .300Win Mag is an excellent round for anything on this continent as well as most of the others.
    I have pipsqueak(?)loads for my Ruger M77MKII that "bump" more like a 30-30 that absolutely pulverize prairie poodles (red fog anyone?), and I have loads for my Sako TRG-s that thump a little more for Elk or Moose.
    I've loaded every shell those guns have fired, and I can tell you that even after firing a full 40-shot silhouette course; I'm ready for some arm wrestlin'!
    Hunting/competition makes the recoil go away (for me), and adrenalin will probably do the same for you.
    Sure, a person could shoot 100 rounds from a .270 and feel a slight bruising; but nothing compares to the huge blue/black/green camo you get after firing a few dozen rounds in a truly awesome smokepole like the .300!
    In short; the .300 will reach out and touch things you'll have a hard time seeing with almost any other caliber-huntingwise, I mean.
    Another plus is all the other .30cal bullets available; almost 4 times as many as your other caliber choices.
  • Options
    roysharoysha Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ....the 300 will reach out and touch things you'll have a HARD TIME SEEING... This is hunting??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by roysha
    ....the 300 will reach out and touch things you'll have a HARD TIME SEEING... This is hunting??

what about prarie dogs? its not much fun shooting them at 100 yards now is it?
  • Options
    Trader DaveTrader Dave Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get the 300 win mag. I am 6' 4" 225lbs and used a 300wby mag for several years. Just a slight bit more than the win mag. Recoil was not that bad. My brother-in-law 5' 6" 160lbs was not as lucky. It tattooed his eyebrow on his 1st shot. Yes we all laughed and so did he after he got the blood to stop.

Maybe find a Browning BAR 300 win mag with the BOSS. Very loud but the recoil is greatly reduced. I currently swear by my BAR (BOSS) in 7mm Mag. Good luck on whatever you choose.
  • Options
    elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree get a 300 win mag mine is a custom mauser and with a good recoil pad I find it no worse than a 12 gauge kicks the 300 win mag is a hell of a good caliber and will meet all you needs for the game you mentioned.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    For some reaon I'm recoil
    sensitive these days but I
    shot my buddy's friend's browning
    bolt in 300 win mag and I didn't
    think much of it in fact
    if I was gonna go on an elk hunt
    and had to buy another rifle
    it would be a browning in 300wm
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the gun fits you, recoil will not be bad at all.
    off the bench, a little , in the field, forget about it
    consider the .300 wsm if this is going to be a hunting sporter rifle
    .300s are much more versitle than the .270 or 7mm cal weapons
    will not be noticable change from the h&h
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome! 300WM is an excellent choice ... go for it!
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you shoot a box at a bench you'll know you shot it, if it is a light rifle. i have a model 70 that is now a custom built, heavy Hart stainless bbl heavy stock......and very very accurate[:D]

fars as limiting yourself to one rifle for everything doesnt make sence
    yes you cam load down the big ones but why not just have smaller chambering for varmint hunting...ie 22-250 243win ectect.

i have a 270 win nothing wrong with it either dont use it much anymore though.....that said i smacked a coyote at....i'll just say a ways over 500 yds [dont want to upset the people who think you should'nt take long ranges shots :-) ] with a 22-250 this morning prefer one of my 243's for coyotes but all i had in pickup was a 22-250

I dont subscribe to the theory of one best allround chambering. i like to own many rifles.[:D]
  • Options
    rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    My buddy picked up a Ruger 300 win mag, with the plastic stock and stainless barrel, etc for $400. (The one that looks like the 'illudium Q-38 explosive space modulator') have to say, range is impressive....not my taste in hardware but capable...)

nice unit though.... screw recoil...live with it. (I can say that, as my choice of hardware is a 'man-killing beast" a .444