In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Any Racing Fans Here??

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Today is your day!!

The Monaco Grand Prix is on now, the Indy 500 is on later, and then NASCAR's Coca-Cola 600 tonight.

I'm a BIG Formula 1 fan, this is the best race of the year IMHO.

Any of you guys follow F1, IndyCar, or NASCAR?

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I'll watch Indy and the 600.

I have not heard. Is anyone going for the full 1100 miles today? (Indy and the 600) It used to be that someone was trying it but it has been a couple years now.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by *_r_done

I have not heard. Is anyone going for the full 1100 miles today? (Indy and the 600) It used to be that someone was trying it but it has been a couple years now.

I remember John Andretti and Tony Stewart did it, I don't think anyone is doing it this year.
  • frog21frog21 Member Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like racing.But it's not much fun anymore with all the restrictions and rules.Anyone that wants to see real racing should go to local dirt tracks,thats where the racings at.Just look at what nascar has done to Stewart.Tony used to tell it like it was,now he's just another puppet.
  • Nurse DebbieNurse Debbie Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love Jeff Gordon. He is hot.[:X]
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Nope, no race fans here....[;)]

Tonight's first night of racing at local dirt track, Mike's boy's first race of the season. And he's in a man-killer this year. I'll be a nervous wreck all night.[:(][;)]
  • Joe DreesJoe Drees Member Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    moto GP. Rossi is a hoot!
  • MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was happy to see Braun finish 1-2. I thought they might have problems at Monaco but not to be. Anxious to hear what they have to say during the interviews.

Tony (I'm an A$$hat) George changed the starting time of the Indy 500 so no one could make the trip and run both races. I hold him personally responsible for the deterioration of open wheel racing in North America. But no... I'm not bitter[}:)]
    Regards, MAALOX
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by *_r_done

Currently its not possible because of the schedule of the races. They either pushed back the Indy or up the 600, I forget.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,858 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Nope, I quit watchin' Nasty Car when they let that yota crap on the track, and that other stuff ain't really racing.
  • rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    We're headed to a 1/4 mile dirt track. If you followed last year, my 14, then 13, year old was HATED! We moved to a pure stock this year, as 4 cylinders were just becoming pedestrian for him. Now he has a 'pure' stock. But, we're way over motored in it.....425 horses, gutted turbo 350 trans, and built like a bridge.......

Actually, compared to the karts, these things are pedestrian, as his kart pulled 77 miles an hour on the dirt......at age 9[}:)]

We'll see how he does in a crowd......[:D]

[img][/img]1243175924.jpg
    [img][/img]1243175949.jpg
  • Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
    I want to catch the Indy, but I'll probaly be fishing. I hope Weldon wins.
  • WinM70WinM70 Member Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In honor of the Veterans that woork for Lowe's, the names of the employee's that work for them will be on the hood of Jimmie's #48 today. There are 12,548 vereran's names on his car today, I also know a lot of vets in the store I work at didn't know about this. My name is on there.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rcrxmike_2

Actually, compared to the karts, these things are pedestrian, as his kart pulled 77 miles an hour on the dirt......at age 9[}:)]

You should have got him in enduros, nothing like doing 130-150 with your * 2 inches from the ground. [:D]
  • lindalecowboylindalecowboy Member Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Maalox
    I was happy to see Braun finish 1-2. I thought they might have problems at Monaco but not to be. Anxious to hear what they have to say during the interviews.

Tony (I'm an A$$hat) George changed the starting time of the Indy 500 so no one could make the trip and run both races. I hold him personally responsible for the deterioration of open wheel racing in North America. But no... I'm not bitter[}:)]

He has singularly done more to destroy REAL racing in America and any chances for real race heroes by his desire to CONTROL. He ruined CART racing when he outlawed their cars at the INDY 500 and thereby created the IRL, which is for girls, not real horsepower. The plick has no heart for real fast racing, which he has proven time and again.

The only REAL racing left in America is what you can watch at your local 1/4 mile dirt oval on Saturday night. Guts, grit and horsepower against the elements. Get out there and support them. Screw the big money control freaks of the IRL and NASCAR both.
  • mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been up since 3am (Pacific time) and started by watching the GP-2 race from Monaco, then the GP, (then a nap), now the Indy 500, and later the 600.
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14

You should have got him in enduros, nothing like doing 130-150 with your * 2 inches from the ground. [:D]

I have a coyote bullet at the shop, but I sold the parilla that was on it.......
  • screwobamascrewobama Member Posts: 625
    edited November -1
    moto GP. Rossi is a hoot

Wathching Valentino Rossi race a bike is like watching a well trained ballet dancer dance. He's just very fluid like-smooth with the power, brakes, & shifting/ down shifting.

P.S. Valentino's autobiography is a good read.
  • mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just Drag Racing for me!
  • screwobamascrewobama Member Posts: 625
    edited November -1
    You should have got him in enduros, nothing like doing 130-150 with your * 2 inches from the ground.

Are those enduros shifter karts or centrifugal clutch? My kart has the Yamaha KT100 motor on a Mike Wilson chasis. I'd love to get in one of those shifters.[:D] A lot of the Indy car guys train in the shifter karts during the off season because they are similar to the indy cars just less power. Danika Patrick started in karts and look at her now. That girl can drive no question about it.
  • SwanKongSwanKong Member Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    I've been up since 3am (Pacific time) and started by watching the GP-2 race from Monaco, then the GP, (then a nap), now the Indy 500, and later the 600.

Me too.[:)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mango tango
    Just Drag Racing for me!

Looking at an 8 second suzuki. 144 rear wheel horses, 1260 cc, and street legal... andrea calls it my midlife crisis. If I could low 9 it, I'd be good with that.....

As for oval vs drags, I'm a dirt tracker, with a lot of drag race friends. to them, it's 'circle jerkin'....my answer? Hey, we drag race twice a lap, and we don't need help to get back![:D]
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    I'm a total failure as a redneck when it comes to racing. Bores me to tears. Except when they have a crash.
    edited November -1
    We're headed to a 1/4 mile dirt track. If you followed last year, my 14, then 13, year old was HATED! We moved to a pure stock this year, as 4 cylinders were just becoming pedestrian for him. Now he has a 'pure' stock. But, we're way over motored in it.....425 horses, gutted turbo 350 trans, and built like a bridge.......

We'll see how he does in a crowd......[:D]

[img][/img]1243175924.jpg
    [img][/img]1243175949.jpg

Well it was 'interesting'....Car is wicked fast, but way big on front brake, causing a severe push. I hot lapped it, but it didn't affect me much, as I really am 'soft' on the brakes. for the 'Boy' however, was looking for the brakes to 'set' the car, and hasn't masterd the throttle modulation to turn the car.

After the races, he hot lapped for about 45 minutes and stripped the axle, so it's gonna be a call to Summit racing for a set of Mosers......

gonna be a interesting year......