In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Serious question in regards to protecting the home

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
In the many posts I have read here in the last few years it seems that there are some here who are itching to shoot someone. What I want to know is do you really feel it is the right thing to do to shoot someone for something as simple as trespassing or stealing the TV from your living room? Some have said the being in the house is a death sentence for the perp. Is that really how it should be? For myself one of my biggest fears is having to shoot another person, that fear dictates how I conduct myself when it comes to home protection. I will confront a burglar gun in hand but in no way will I shoot unless it is an absolute only choice. I do not like the idea of killing a person under most circumstanses and someone stealing my TV is not going to get shot. I am not for protecting the criminals at all, I just don't feal that a death penalty is the answer for all criminals. I am all for harsh punishment, chain gangs, hard labor, life in prison and so on. Death penalty for the violents is a good thing and should be adminstered more often but I myself cannot shoot someone for commiting theft or trespassing.

Am I on the wrong side of the fence thinking this way? Maybe blasting all criminals into hell would be a good deterrant to crime but then on the other hand isnt this what we pay the cops and judges for, to arrest and punsih severly those who would violate our homes and lives?

Talk is cheap and there is alot of it going on, it sounds cool I guess to sound off by saying, "come into my house and I will kill you just for being there" but could you really do it? Another question, those of you who wish death upon a thief have you ever seen a dead person? I have and it isnt pretty.

Now when it comes to endagering my family yes I will shoot but for a common thief who is only interested in stealing I will do my best to identify the person or hold him for the cops. And to say, "well I was in danger just because he was there" is kinda rediculous, not to side with the criminals but do you honestly believe that every thief is a murderer or rapist intent on doing harm?

I'm rambling, sorry but this bugs me that some cannot wait to kill. Maybe they need to join the military so they can get some trigger time.

line2.gif
email2b.gif
hillbilly.gif

Comments

• stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    Well,,,7mm,
    I can honestly say that the last thing I want to do is to open fire inside my own home, with ANY firearm, in ANY direction, at ANY target!
    BUT,,,, I would if necessary.
  • 3gunner3gunner Member Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As for me, the answer to all your questions is... YES

And that's my serious answer to your serious question.....
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Trust me, I'm not itching to put holes into anyone, but it's more than just a question of "my" property.

Sure, I can afford to have my television stolen... it's just stuff, right? Surely a $100, $200, or even $1000 dollar TV isn't worth a human life, right?

But what happens when that thief breaks into a single woman's apartment? And what if he decides to have himself a little "party" before he carts her stuff away? Suddenly my decision to NOT shoot that intruder has consequences that someone else will pay for.

Admittedly, those are big "if's." But they are "if's" I'm not willing to bet someone else's safety on.
  • DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 7mm nut

And to say, "well I was in danger just because he was there" is kinda rediculous...

...unless, of course, you live in a rural area and shop at CO-OP and are talking about a dog.
  • WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes to most of your questions. If some one breaks in to my house no I would not shoot them just becasue they where there yet at the same time I would not give them the chance to do anything if I identified my self and that I was armed and they tried to run out of the house I would let them. If they made any move towards me in a way I preceved as threating I would shoot. I have seen dead people. I have seen 15-18 year old kids bleeding out in the middle of the street from GSW, I have worked on people who have been shot tring to stop them from dieing and I HATE it but I would still shoot some one. As soon as I shot them and was sure they where no longer a threat I would most likly start working on them. Go figure. So no I am not trigger happy, yes I would shoot someone if I needed to, no my first reaction to an intruder in my house would not be to shoot. It might be some teenager trying to steal the TV then what but ya know what also until I know fo sure I am going to assume that teenager has more firepower on them than they know what to do with...

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it.
    I know the spelling is bad but guess what I DON'T CARE
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Suffer not a thief to live.
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As redneck as this may sound, I will be providing protectin for me and my family and that may mean someone getting shot and killed. Not a pleasent thing but thats the way it is.

The way I see it is the person who breaks into someones house has made the choice freely knowing there is a risk of being shot. Home intruders will never get my sympathy.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe if the criminal justice system actually worked.
    How many times on the news do you hear of one of these thugs getting arrested (again) and when the reporter starts reading down his/her rap sheet, it sounds like this slime is just going down the list of actions that are illegal? Seeing how many he/she can get away with. Starts off with petty crimes and progressively worsens to a point, where all you can do is shake your head, and wonder why this slime is still on the street. They are on probation for their last assault and battery, or out on parole for armed robbery, rape, or murder. These are the kinds of thugs you hear about all the time.

These facts would be going through my mind if I was to confront anyone that was uninvited in my home. The VERY LAST thing I would want to do is put a hole in anyone. But if I had NO CHOICE....well....read the next line.....

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    What p3 said.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    Thats the thing for me - I worked as a corrections counselor for years, until I got fed up with a system that does not work. We were there to push paper and collect any money we could from the inmates. They would do their time easily and give lip sevice to the shrinks. And the shrinks would push paper until they could find a lable for the inmate and get a lighter sentence because they know (duh) they have a problem. They would get through probation/paroll and back to where they were to begin with. You see all the time some agency reporting low recidivism rates - low is somewhere above 50% and below 70% - it is just another statistic made up by some statitician.
    So - would I shoot an intruder coming into my home? - I wont know until it happens, but if it does, there are gonna be very few seconds for the intruder to prove he should not be shot. I do not care what the intent is he/she is invading my home for something of MINE. Most criminals are opportunistic (sp- it's late) and most will escalate their crimes. Given those 2 facts - I will defend my family/home/possessions, and I will feel no remorse as I will not have created the situation, only reacting to their crime. Everybody reacts differently in uncommon stressful situations - who is to say what is right or wrong, when you wake up to the sound of an intruder in your own home???

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Am I itching to shoot someone. No.
    When I worked overnights in a gas station I drew on a punk that reached behind his back and then reached accross the counter and grabbed my collar. He backed off at the sight of the gun, if he hadn't, he would have died and I would have taken my chances with a jury. He was a drunken wisea$$ kid that grew up a few years in a few minutes. He thought he was being funny trying to intimidate me into selling him something he wasn't old enough to have at an hour that was after the time it could be legally bought. At the time I believed he was really reaching for a knife or gun and trying to rob me.

If someone were in my yard breaking into an outbuilding or my truck I might try and hold them at gunpoint, but I also know the gun going off would make me the criminal in this state. I'd more likely go out and try and kick some butt the old fashioned way if I knew the odds up front. But, even more likely, I'd just let my tax dollars do thier job and let the sherrif deputy do his job.

Inside the house uninvited, sorry the assumption will be made that they intend * harm and they will get shot.

Would I jump up and down beating my chest if I did have to shoot somebody. Nope it would probably devastate me emotionally and I know it. I've seen too many births and deaths in my time to hold life less sacred that that.

Woods

Hamlin.gif

rockin_lg_clr.gif
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not belive that anyone really is wanting to cause anyother persons harm. I do believe that self preservation is number one for most people. I feel bad when I have to put a cow down. But I do it. If the situation calls for it, then you do what needs to be done. Then there is time to feel bad. I would much rather feel bad then feel nothing.Don

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    quote: I do not like the idea of killing a person under most circumstances and someone stealing my TV is not going to get shot.

I think I'd shoot the T.V. If he is a "three strikes" candidate, he may retaliate with deadly force. No choice then. Most perps get in and out in 60 seconds. Chances there is an accomplice in the wings. Watch it if he gets chatty. Keep your back against a wall and watch his eyes.

A leg shot can always be explained as "He lunged at me. It was an AD."
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Anyone who breaks into my home will be armed when they sponge him off of the floor.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • schotzi1schotzi1 Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOODSRUNNER said it like it is. I couldn't agree more.

Be responsible
    Be intelligent
    Be REPUBLICAN
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Lonnie: Do you by any chance have one of those new fangled plasma screen tv's! If so please leave some cookies and a beer near the door!![:D]

Pa.

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

Kids that fish, hunt and trap have never mugged any old ladies!

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    For saftey's sake, you should always assume the worst when it comes to a home intruder. You have absolutely not idea of their intent, or if they are armed, or how many there may be. You assume a serious risk, by just confronting them and trying to hold them there until the police arrive...you also put your family at risk. In short, if an intruder enters my home, he will be carried out in a body bag...that is, if I'm successfull in defending my home and family. Just my .02

Eric

All American Arms Company

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • FlatheadFlathead Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good post 7mm nut. Could not have said it any better. I see no reason one person should be dead and another (home owner) in jail over some houshold items.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Y'know 7mm, I think you've made some assumptions that may well expose the differences in our communities.
    Where I live is allegedly a "nice" neighborhood on the edge of the "war zone". There is NO police presence to deter or otherwise impede mayhem, robbery or crimes against a person. APD is comprised of a pack of thugs, dullards, Military rejects, dropouts, brown-nosers and criminals. I don't let THEM into my domicile on the occasional visit to write another report about a burglary/shooting.

Someone toting off my TV? Whether inside or outside; if they've gotten in past the alarm, video, dogs, gas & "surprises", they deserve to be shot because they have made SEVERAL conscious decisions to proceed with criminal behavior at each step.

I'm not some bloodthirsty psycho salivating at the thought of making another notch on my gunstock; I'm being realistic.
    I've seen dead people.
    I've made a few.
    They're really not pretty when a projectile has removed portions of their * features, or partially severed a limb.

The "cops & judges" we pay for are all wannabee social engineers, trying to reintegrate these miscreants into society without regard for their propensity to commit more and more violent, risky crimes until someone removes them from the playing field.

That being said however; I think it illustrates how different places have different ways to rationalize/explain away shortcomings in our judicial system-even going so far as to change citizens' behavior when faced with a serious personal threat.
    I hope you can talk them out of taking everything they want while dialing 911, juggling a pistol, watching their hands, listening for sirens, and attempting to reason.

If you know it all; you must have been listening.<br>WEAR EAR PROTECTION!
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 7mm nut

Now when it comes to endagering my family yes I will shoot but for a common thief who is only interested in stealing I will do my best to identify the person or hold him for the cops. And to say, "well I was in danger just because he was there" is kinda rediculous, not to side with the criminals but do you honestly believe that every thief is a murderer or rapist intent on doing harm?

I know that every thief is not a murderer or rapist. But the thief who has taken the extraordinary step of coming into my home? I dont know what his intentions are, and I do not think it is ridiculous for a home owner, who has just been burglarized to assume that there is a probabilty that the burglar will cause you harm.
    The fact that this burglar invaded your home should be enoug justification for a homeowner to use lethal force. Not as a punishment, but becaue it is reasonable for a homeowner to assume that the guy who just entered your house, who broke the law, who invaded the one place that a person should be safe, is capable of causing harm.
    I think it is "unsafe" to try and identify what the burglars intent is. You have too much to risk. Does he have a gun? A knife? Is he just stealing my TV, or is he going to rape my wife and kill my kids? Takes too much time to do all of that, time that can cost you your life. Dirt nap time.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not itching to kill anybody either but if someone breaks in my home in the middle of the night and I think for one second my family is at harm and the intruder doesn't leave in one second then ( YOU KNOW THE REST OF THE STORY)!

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!