In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Problem with 1993 mercury villager van

crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I have a 1993 Villager van and I can smell gasoline inside and the outside of the van occasionally. Sometimes a week will go by and no smell. I can smell it sitting at a red light and also driving at 65 mph. I cannot find any leak anywhere under the hood nor underneath. Never find it on the ground either. But like I said it will go one maybe two weeks with no smell then all of a sudden hold your nose. Please cut me some slack I know it is a ford. Any suggestions will help. [?]

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

Comments

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,867 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Well this ain't gonna be no help but I have an 89 Taurus that does the same exact thing. I've had it for almost two and a half years and I have looked and looked and I have never found any sort of a leak. Wish I could help you.

Aberdeen.gif
    81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad
    U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
  • RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really have no idea. Just a dumb guess, check the charcoal can, (I think that is what it is) that is on the gas tank breather. Is it clogged allowing you to smell the fumes? This is just a straight up guess, I would get it to a dealer, cause where you smell gas there is gas.

RUGER.jpgNRA_FLAG_2.gif

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    It can be the purge valve/hoses on the evap canister or sometimes it can be a faulty o-ring on the fuel injection rail letting gas seep onto the engine (which is a fire hazard as well)

orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Not positive on this, but doesn't the ekg valve cause a gas smell when it's plugged or going bad?

Notice nobody has cracked anything about it being a ford so neither will I. [:D]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    No, a plugged EGR valve will cause a spike in NOx emmissions, and sometimes will cause the engine to idle rough if it is stuck open[8)]

orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey kingjoey, I am so glad that you mentioned that the egr valve can cause a rough idle. Along with my smell of gas the van starded to miss on me real bad going down the highway then cleared up. I checked into it later and pulled my plug wires one at a time to see if I had a miss fire on one of the cylinders. One of the plugs broke in half when I pulled the wire off. I replaced the plug and ran good for a while and now the van idles and runs down the road rough with a miss once in a while. It clears up for some time and runs rough again. I will have to check the egr valve because that is probably my other problem. We are all problem solvers!!

• nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,062 ******
    edited November -1
    I am not going to knock it for being a Ford, either. It's a Nissan, is it not?

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nunn, It does have a nissan engine and trans. I forgot about that when I posted it. My bad. Thanks for reminding me. I cannot keep track of what is what sometimes!!