In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Cubs pay too much for Greg Maddux?

fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
As a die hard Cub fan, I love the addition of Maddux to the rotation. But 24 million 3 year contract on a man born in '66? Anyone think they got a little spend crazy, or could it be worth it to have that many good pitchers to rotate?

Go Cubs, Next year is here!!!
Ben

Comments

• rmeyerrmeyer Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 3rd year is voidable if he doesnt pitch 400 innings over the 1st 2 years. Overpaid? I think so to but he sure does improve their rotation.
  • Winchester-muttWinchester-mutt Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The contract is back-loaded, per what I read in the paper yesterday. It has been reported as a three-year, $24 million deal. But, in effect, it's two years for $15 million (he'll make $9 million in '05). The only way the third year kicks in is if Maddux totals 400 innings pitched over the next two seasons. Looking back at the last two years in Atlanta, he will not reach the inning clause to kick the third year in. Heck, last year he made $14.75 MILLION! This year the guy has to get by on ONLY $6!! He will do wonders teaching those kids on the Cubs how to "pitch" and not just throw heat. Should be a good year to be a Cub fan! If we can only keep the fans from reaching out unto the field. DOH! [:(]
  • bsallybsally Member Posts: 3,165
    edited November -1
    I think all those guys are overpaid.[V] But, he will help the Cubs. His knowledge passed on to Wood and Prior could be the most important part of the trade. Never really liked him personally, but maybe we can finally stop sayin "wait till next year."

GO CUBBIES

SALLY
    Committee member-Ducks Unlimited
  • rmeyerrmeyer Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Looking back at the last two years in Atlanta, he will not reach the inning clause to kick the third year in".

Looking back at those last 2 years i'd say it's a lock that 3rd year will kick in.
  • Winchester-muttWinchester-mutt Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Looking back at those last 2 years i'd say it's a lock that 3rd year will kick in.

Very doubtful. Last year, he pitched 233 innings. Year before, 199.1. The guy will be 38 in April of this year. Not too many that old can go 7 or 8 innings anymore. And the Cubs would be foolish to let him. Get him his 6, then turn it over to the pen.
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are over paid. Just like boxing. In a boxing match the winner gets 1 million and the loser gets 750,000.00. That's not to bad for the loser. How about 1 million for the winner and 1 dollar for the loser. Now your gonna see a real fight!

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!