In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Special Forces Push Ups?

trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I ran across a show on one of my tapes last night that I have no idea when I recorded but its about Navy Seals Buds training and workouts.One of the guys on the tape was named Scott Helvensten and when he got down to do his push ups he kept his feet wide aprt and his hands close together about in the middle of his chest and had them touching like a diamond.My question is:Are these better push ups to do?Do they isolate your chest more or what?Why do these kind as opposed to traditional shoulder width arms and legs touching?Thanks.

Comments

• PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    I don't know the definitive answer to your question, but I was always told to vary the distances between my hands in feet while doign pushups because it varies which muscles are being stressed. By varying what muscles you are stressing, you can do more pushups than you thought you could before. Hope that helps.

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    Close-hands, or diamonds, work your triceps as opposed to your biceps and deltoids.

In my PT, I alternate regular pushups, wide-arm pushups (more work for the delts) and close-hands (for the tri's).

Most people's triceps are weaker than the rest of their arm and shoulder muscles, so you wont be able to do as many. But that's okay. Do them anyway. Even if you have to go to your knees.

"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate for an outright ban, picking up all of them, "Mr. and Mrs. America, turn them all in," I would have." -Sen. Dianne Feinstein

"Molon labe, you fascist ice-queen!" -Me
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    THEY WORK YOU OUT MORE THERE CALLED DIAMONDS OR PYRAMIDS.THEY ARE NOT FUN TO DO IN A SURF ZONE

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
  • kitfookitfoo Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Diamond pushups are actually bad for your wrists and forearms. Its ok if you put your hands close together, but not close enough to where they touch.