In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Google maps oddity

Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,317 ******
edited April 2017 in General Discussion
So, apparently, you can play ms. pacman on the streets where you live (or search) in google maps. WTH??
Some will die in hot pursuit
And fiery auto crashes
Some will die in hot pursuit
While sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life
And drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche
Coming down the mountain

Comments

• Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ha,, thought you were joking !!! Not just any street but there is a selection A PACKMAN square, where the satellite, street, etc. image was.

Not sure how I got it to come up but it' neat.

2300 pts. on first try, never was any good a pacman
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,383 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    They list my friend's driveway as an extension of a county road across the highway. I told him earlier this week. He was not happy.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    They list my friend's driveway as an extension of a county road across the highway. I told him earlier this week. He was not happy.

Can he get federal / state highway funding ?
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter

It would make me happy as a pig in mud to have a chance at county maintenance of my driveway. [:D]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "It would make me happy as a pig in mud to have a chance at county maintenance of my driveway."

At that point,it would become public access.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Goggle anything is only about 80% in a best case scenario.
    The alleged pointer coordinates are incorrect, sometimes more than 1500'.
    The overlay for roads/trails is pure conjecture, starting nowhere, and going through homes & businesses. Some are even shown crossing water where no bridge exists.
    The pizza joint I usually get deliveries from has a standing caveat for my address; never use the navigation from a phone or tablet, and forget about Goggle Earf unless you want to deliver to the wrong place everytime.
  • Options
    PacManPacMan Member Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My kind of game....[:D] I have an 1981 Head to head Mrs PacMan cocktail unit that I brought back to life. When I got the unit fired back up I call the kids in from the yard to check it out. They never saw such a thing and were totally amused...[:)] Now I've converted it into a 60 in 1 unit with a bunch of the early 80s games on the unit. Kids and I play it from time to time.

IMG_20130608_183119.jpg
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of the oddest GE image results come from the fact that the pictures are taken from different angles overhead. When images from two different satellite passes are computer integrated, they can produce startling errors, like intertwined bridge spans.

It's an artifact of orbital mechanics. It is worse when the object in question is near one edge of the scanned area, and on the next orbit is on the opposite edge of the scan. The camera see the object from one side and then the other. The computer then tries to integrate the two angles into one - and weird things can happen.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840

I don't play computer games .. find them a huge waste of time although did play wack a mole for maybe 5 minutes once.

Had a Nintendo 64 once too ... for about a month. Also found it to be a huge waste of time so got rid of it.

I'd rather do something CONSTRUCTIVE with my time...just me. [^]

like posting thoughts on an internet gun forum [;)]
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    "It would make me happy as a pig in mud to have a chance at county maintenance of my driveway."

At that point,it would become public access.

It might as well be now. [:D]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    The overlay for roads/trails is pure conjecture, starting nowhere, and going through homes & businesses. Some are even shown crossing water where no bridge exists.
    The pizza joint I usually get deliveries from has a standing caveat for my address; never use the navigation from a phone or tablet, and forget about Goggle Earf unless you want to deliver to the wrong place everytime.

That's amazing and in the United States? My gps shows my location within 10 feet or less in the U.S. and is right on the money in South America. Living in a rural town in South America and even have the city streets on google STREET view for most of the town. Darn, hadn't mowed the lawn when picture was taken.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I don't play computer games .. find them a huge waste of time although did play wack a mole for maybe 5 minutes once.

Had a Nintendo 64 once too ... for about a month. Also found it to be a huge waste of time so got rid of it.

Says the man with over 28,000 post. [:D][:D]
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Well lah dee bleenin' dah!
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Getting better over 3000 + Helps to use a street map with lots of turns, wide streets and non rectangular blocks. These are South America, easy to find good pacman locations.[:D]

pacman_high_score01.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by droptop

That's amazing and in the United States? My gps shows my location within 10 feet or less in the U.S. and is right on the money in South America. Living in a rural town in South America and even have the city streets on google STREET view for most of the town. Darn, hadn't mowed the lawn when picture was taken.

Gotta remember that GPS coordinates are only as good as the GPS engine and solution being used. GE uses gps-style coordinates; their engine gets good data, then the solution forgets to subtract the distance from the center of the geoid to the surface. Try this: find an easily findable spot in your immediate area, & zoom to it in Goggle Earf. Copy down the coordinates shown for the tip of your cursor.
    Go outside to the place you found, and after staying there 3 minutes with your GPS running; store the coordinates as a waypoint (in the same format as the ones you copied earlier). Compare.
    Use WGS84 as your datum, unless your handheld is VERY NEW.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    GPS is only as good as Uncle Sam allows. He holds the keys to shade it or turn it off as required.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpageabc
    GPS is only as good as Uncle Sam allows. He holds the keys to shade it or turn it off as required.

Originally, but not necessarily so nowadays.
    With the advent of GLONASS and localized High Accuracy Reference Networks; you don't really need to use the GPS constellation for positioning.
    Even if the Gubmint custodians decide to implement anti-spoofing again, or adjust the signal strength; many GPS receivers will still be accurate enough to get within 120'.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Gotta remember that GPS coordinates are only as good as the GPS engine and solution being used. GE uses gps-style coordinates; their engine gets good data, then the solution forgets to subtract the distance from the center of the geoid to the surface. Try this: find an easily findable spot in your immediate area, & zoom to it in Goggle Earf. Copy down the coordinates shown for the tip of your cursor.
    Go outside to the place you found, and after staying there 3 minutes with your GPS running; store the coordinates as a waypoint (in the same format as the ones you copied earlier). Compare.
    Use WGS84 as your datum, unless your handheld is VERY NEW.

Cell phone is usually my reference or tablet in conjunction with google maps. Use android program named: GPS test for satellite signal strength and the "speed" function not very useful but interesting.

Think more study is necessary. Will cut&paste to my TODO list.