In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

This country is floating in oil.....

Comments

• Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Supposed to be a wash in natural gas too and I just got hit with a $5/gal propane bill. [V]
  • Options
    Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gas prices at the pump depend on refinery capacity and transportation capacity.

So when demand goes up/is anticipated to go up prices will go up.

If a pipeline or a refinery have problems, prices go up because supply will go down.

I understand that many of our refineries are getting old and building new ones is difficult due to safety/environmental problems.

And all crude oils are not the same -- some are better for producing gas and some are better for heavier feed stocks.

Here's a graph showing the number of active oil rigs, a measure of how much new oil will be coming on-line to replace depleted wells.

us-active-oil-rigs.png

Drilling a well is expensive and rigs will get parked if the price of oil doesn't support the cost of exploration.

I grew up on the edge of the Texas-Oklahoma oil field. When I was young there were always rigs in sight, especially at night. As I grew older the field was fully developed and few rigs were seen at work. Now the only rigs seen are the ones pulling pipe out of dry holes that are being abandoned.

There's a lot of infrastructure that has to be built to support a new oil field and it all takes time and money, and that money comes from folks buying fuel.
  • Options
    Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's another graph showing rise and fall of rig count with recent uptick.

9-16-16-oil-rigs-chart.png
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,346 ******
    edited November -1
    Let's face it folks! When it comes to energy costs of all kinds, They got us by the "short hairs"![V]
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FIVE BUCK PROPANE?

I just paid $2.49/gal for two twenty-pounders and a 100 pound tank, it is a lot cheaper for bulk deliveries. Where the hell do you live and did the guy charging you that much drive a Rolls Royce home at night?
  • Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FIVE BUCK PROPANE?

I locked in at $1.29
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Supply and demand...
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the new pipeline is reinvigorating the Bakken field. now they can send it down the tubes instead of hauling rail cars... the choking point is refinery capacity...all of which have been producing product at capacity for years, barring hurricanes/flooding/explosions of course..a 10 year permitting process is normal is preventing NEW refineries. upgrading old facilities does not have the permitting concerns new construction entails
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "Supposed to be a wash in natural gas too and I just got hit with a $5/gal propane bill."...............just to note; propane and natural gas have nothing in common, 2 different 'cats'. bought propane last fall (bulk) at $.89/gal.
  • Options
    AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpageabc
    Supply and demand...

Supply and demand is only half the equation. Price elasticity is the other half. Price elasticity is essentially a measure of how much wiggle room there is in pricing without affecting demand. And refined petroleum products have a large price elasticity. So prices at the pump can stay quite high and people will continue buying with minimal diminishing consumption. That's why prices are quick to go up, but very slow to go down and never go back down to prior lows.
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by AzAfshin
    quote:Originally posted by wpageabc
    Supply and demand...

Supply and demand is only half the equation. Price elasticity is the other half. Price elasticity is essentially a measure of how much wiggle room there is in pricing without affecting demand. And refined petroleum products have a large price elasticity. So prices at the pump can stay quite high and people will continue buying with minimal diminishing consumption. That's why prices are quick to go up, but very slow to go down and never go back down to prior lows.

That's correct,, in a way,,, they do go down to prior prices,, but then go even lower and NOT adjusted for inflation.
    Historically the low price "lasts a long time".

Trump is thinking way ahead,, can't have a good economy if inflation is rampant which much is tied to energy prices.
    That's why Trump "slipped" opening ANWAR for drilling into the tax bill.

Had already taken the reins off oil companies for drilling and other
    energy projects being held up by "big ears" and his minions.

Personally think the oil companies are better off selling MORE oil
    for the same money per gallon.

Alaska has been running low on oil reserves to feed the * for at least a decade probably two.
    If that would happen no new oil to feed the pipeline and very soon a
    "shutdown". Result will be a MAJOR source of U.S. production will be GONE. Guess where prices would go?

PS: Takes from 1 to 5 years to develop new oil fields and production facilities.
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    FIVE BUCK PROPANE?

I just paid $2.49/gal for two twenty-pounders and a 100 pound tank, it is a lot cheaper for bulk deliveries. Where the hell do you live and did the guy charging you that much drive a Rolls Royce home at night?

Amerigas...a bunch of rapists [:(!]
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,346 ******
    edited November -1
    I "play" my area gas stations pretty much like some of you high rollers play the stock market!

I try my best to buy low! Then I just burn it![:D]

Even a poor guy can do stuff to feel rich!
  • Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gas, $2.89 in Pa. $2.49 in Wv. An added tax causes this.
  • Options
    jerrywh818jerrywh818 Member Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check your state gasoline tax rate. Oregon is 31cents and the Dems just raised it by 10 cents. Add to this the federal gas tax. Government is always the problem. The federal tax is 18.4 cents. Every tank of gas cost you about $10.00 in taxes.
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Brookwood
    I "play" my area gas stations pretty much like some of you high rollers play the stock market!

I try my best to buy low! Then I just burn it![:D]

Even a poor guy can do stuff to feel rich!
    Hadn't thought about spending my money before burning it.