In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

If the Dems get back in power..........

BlackieBoogerBlackieBooger Member Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
If the Dems get back in power what will they mainly push for? National health care, gay marriage, more gun control, raise taxes, more big goverment spending, more controls and fees for small business, less defense spending, or something else?

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, not liberty to purchase power."
Benjamin Franklin, 1785
123div.gif

Comments

• Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd be suprised if they done anything different than they have ever done which is pretty much what you described.

The Democrats won't be satisfied until there is no middle class and everyone below thier elite level will be on the "dole" with the Democrats controlling the "dole".

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    I feel sure they will push for more gun control,definately less defense spending,and the gays will be taking over the country.
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Black, Hispanic gays.
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:0][:0][:0]Enjoy your freedoms while you still can because many of us and most all our neighbors will trade them off for a little comfort from the government.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.

Don't fly the river!
  • MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I didn't realize Bush was a democrat........

Merc

Insignia?

Nos nullus habitum rancidum insignia!

"Tolerating things you may not necessarily like is part of being free" - Larry Flynt
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Merc,

You hit it right on the head![:D]
  • HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    The ideal situation would be a president of one party and the Congress controlled by the other. [:D]

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.
  • powdersmokepowdersmoke Member Posts: 3,241
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by BlackieBooger
    If the Dems get back in power what will they mainly push for? National health care, gay marriage, more gun control, raise taxes, more big goverment spending, more controls and fees for small business, less defense spending, or something else?

Benjamin Franklin, 1785
    123div.gif/quote]
    Lets see now. I agree with National health care, don't agree with gay marriage, you should know how I feel about gun control (I'm on this forum ain't I), I don't mind higher taxes if we get something for it ( in Germany a single male pays over 52% of his income in taxes and that's before any other taxes he pays, or they useta' anyway) So tax me just give me something to show for it, The rest, well, they always play politics with those things anyway, Rebumblican or Demolitioncrat.

fa4d9fb5.jpg

When you wrestle a 'gator, there ain't no good end!!

"Molon Labe!" Spartan General-King Leonidas
  • FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mercury

What??? How many of those 9 things mentioned by Blackie has Bush done??

This brings up something that has annoyed me for the past few days. Bush is NOT like Kerry. Yes he has disappointing moments and aspects, but I think it is a horrible stretch to compare an outright liar who will say anything to be elected to Bush.

Other than his spending, what else has he dissappointed you about. And he couldn't have forseen the severity of the depression, or 911, or the war on terror and its costs.

I'm not happy about the prescription drug thing but there isn't much more to complain about. (Patriot Act being a wartime necessity approved by congress IMHO). And even then, did he blatantly lie about any of these things??

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrOg
    quote:Originally posted by Mercury

What??? How many of those 9 things mentioned by Blackie has Bush done??

National health care- See medicare entitlement act. Though it is not fully funded government health care, its a definate step in that direction-and a step that no other administration has taken since Johnson.
    MORE GUN CONTROL- GW has said that he will renew the Assault weapns ban. He also said he would sign the gun show bill that McPain was(Is?) sponsoring.
    RAISE TAXES- Well he cut taxes, but taxes are going to have to be raised to pay for Bushs spending spree.
    MORE BIG GOVERNMENT SPENDING- Non military spending. George Bush, hands down takes the cake for increased spending. Clinton did not come CLOSE to the spending increases that George accomplished. The only president who rivals Bush in the increase spending department is LBJ. Lets be real folks-the days of saying that the Republican party is for fiscal responsibility are over!

And who cares about gay mariage, and why is it relevant what the president thinks? he has absolutely nothing to do with the process of amending the constitution. So whatever a presidents opinion is with respect to gay marriage, whether he is for it, against it, or wants a constitutional amrenmdnet dealing with it, is a non issue.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo
    National health care- See medicare entitlement act. Though it is not fully funded government health care, its a definate step in that direction-and a step that no other administration has taken since Johnson.
    MORE GUN CONTROL- GW has said that he will renew the Assault weapns ban. He also said he would sign the gun show bill that McPain was(Is?) sponsoring.
    RAISE TAXES- Well he cut taxes, but taxes are going to have to be raised to pay for Bushs spending spree.
    MORE BIG GOVERNMENT SPENDING- Non military spending. George Bush, hands down takes the cake for increased spending. Clinton did not come CLOSE to the spending increases that George accomplished. The only president who rivals Bush in the increase spending department is LBJ. Lets be real folks-the days of saying that the Republican party is for fiscal responsibility are over!

Salzo, why do you attribute to Bush things which he did not do. He has NOT raised taxes, he has not endorsed a national health care plan, he has not renewed the AWB ban (although I realize there is a lot of pressure for him to do just that). And even if he renews the AWB, it'll be due to political pressure; the dems introduced it and it'll be hard for anyone in office to kill it -- that should be obvious to you salzo. Bush hasn't tried to increase gun control as you stated.

Salzo, you need to be more objective and truthful in attacking Bush.

Further, the dems publically say they will raise taxes, further gun control (beyond the AWB), increase govnmt size, etc. How can you compare the two. They are not the same; dems are far, WAY FAR worse.

About Bush's spending, I'm no happier with it than you, but I believe he is trying to appease the liberals by compromising on some issues important to them. I think he is trying to give them something that will keep them happy (uniting, not dividing). Of course, you and I know that liberals HATE him (I use that word on purpose) and no appeasement will make them change their minds.

About the prescription med bill, didn't he promise one when he ran for president? Fulfilling a promise maybe or is it too hard for you to say something good about Bush?

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrOg
    quote:Originally posted by salzo

Salzo, why do you attribute to Bush things which he did not do.What on earth are you talking about
    He has NOT raised taxes,Never said he did

he has not endorsed a national health care plan,Never said he did
    he has not renewed the AWB ban (although I realize there is a lot of pressure for him to do just that).YOu seem to be ignoring the fact that HE SAID HE SUPPORTS THE BAN AND WOULD SIGN A RENEWAL OF YHE BAN
    And even if he renews the AWB, it'll be due to political pressure;Ohh the good old "political pressure" excuse. That good old excuse that Republicans constantly use whenever they do the wrong thing. Please explain how it matters whether or not someone signs a bill due to "political pressure" or for reasons of conviction? Either way, we get stuck with a bill that screws us. Perhaps you can excuse someone for being spineless and screwing us due to "Political pressure-I do not. There is no difference between someone who signs a bill because of political pressure, or someone who signs the bill because they are convinced it is the right thing to do-either way, we get screwed and we are stuck with it.And if he is so spineless that he will signthe AWB because of political reasons, why wouldnt you expect him to do the same thing with any other gun control bill that comes across his desk?
    Salzo, you need to be more objective and truthful in attacking Bush.
    I havent attacked anyone, I have criticized. Please choose your words a little better.Using words like attacked, and hate make you sound like a four year old.

Further, the dems publically say they will raise taxes, further gun control (beyond the AWB), increase govnmt size, etc.
    George Bush ssaid he would sign McPains gun show loophole bill. George Bush said he supports mandatory instant checks at gunshows. George Bush has said he is opposed to arming pilots.
    INCREASE GOVERNMENT SIZE!!?? You are kidding right? No increase in government in the history of the US since FDR has compared to GWs big government agenda. The Dems may talk about it-but GW did it. And as I said earlier, I did not say GW raised taxes, but taxes are going to have to be raised to pay for GWs spending spree-of course he could stop spending, but he has not expressed any intentions of doing that-matter of fact I read today that GW proposes to put us another trillion dollars in dept(whats a trillion dollars compared to the already 7 trillion) to overhaul social security-something, I might add, he said he was going to do the first time he ran, and something we have not heard a peep about until now, election time

About Bush's spending, I'm no happier with it than you, but I believe he is trying to appease the liberals by compromising on some issues important to them. I think he is trying to give them something that will keep them happy (uniting, not dividing). Of course, you and I know that liberals HATE him (I use that word on purpose) and no appeasement will make them change their minds.So why do it? Time and time again Republicans use that excuse when they spend, or when they legislate in a manner that is more in tune with liberals, yet it never gets votes from them, and winds up screwing us. Again, whatever the motives behind liberal spending and liberal legislation, in the end we get screwed

About the prescription med bill, didn't he promise one when he ran for president? Fulfilling a promise maybe or is it too hard for you to say something good about Bush?
    Whether or not he said he would do it, increasing spending to pay for entitlement programs IS WRONG, and it appears it goes against conservative ideology(or at least it used to. Now conservatives believe government is there to solve all of societies problems).But if you would like to say its good that he kept his word, then fine, its good, even though its bad. And speaking about keeping his word-GW said he would not sign CFR when he was campaigningm but when it came to his desk, he signed it-but Ohhhh I forgot-he signed it due to "political pressure", so that makes me feel a lot better about the rights that were taken away from americans

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • BlackieBoogerBlackieBooger Member Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will be interesting to see the Dems platform at the convention. I bet it will be a real cornucopia of liberal "goodies" to try to keep all the various groups that make up the party in the fold. You will have some good anti-gun stuff for the "Brady Bunch" and Hand-Gun Control, advocating gay marriages, abortion on demand for the pro-abortion groups and N.O.W., plenty of social programs to help those who choose not to work for a living, raise taxes to pay for Senator Byrd's pork agenda, a new foreign policy that is kinder and gentler toward our enemies and the UN, more money for the labor unions while they open up trrade with more third world countries to insure that more union workers will be unable to compete with foreign labor.

Benjamin Franklin, 1785
    123div.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BlackieBooger
    It will be interesting to see the Dems platform at the convention. I bet it will be a real cornucopia of liberal "goodies" to try to keep all the various groups that make up the party in the fold. You will have some good anti-gun stuff for the "Brady Bunch" and Hand-Gun Control, advocating gay marriages, abortion on demand for the pro-abortion groups and N.O.W., plenty of social programs to help those who choose not to work for a living, raise taxes to pay for Senator Byrd's pork agenda, a new foreign policy that is kinder and gentler toward our enemies and the UN, more money for the labor unions while they open up trrade with more third world countries to insure that more union workers will be unable to compete with foreign labor.

Sounds like ARlen Specter to me-someone who YOU will be voting for in the primary, even though his opponent opposes the above platform. So if you are going to vote for Arlen, who supports the above platform, why would you have a problem with someone voting for a Democrat, who supports that platform?

-Jimmy the cheese man
  • BlackieBoogerBlackieBooger Member Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Salzo, have you forgotten> Remember I told you I was votinjg for Tomey. My concern was that if Tomey won the primary he would not be able to beat the Democrat in the general election. But be assured that I will vote for Tomey anyways.

Benjamin Franklin, 1785
    123div.gif
  • NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    I don't often agree with Salzo's political views, but I often read them to stay a little open to other opinions. Salzo, you got my attention today. You say the President has already come out and said he'll extend the ban and end gun shows. This is not a challenge but an honest question: When did he say these things? And how did he said he'd go against gun shows? Even if it's that bleak, I want the info. Wayne Pierre for President.
    edited November -1
    Nick-It is common knowledge that Bush has stated that he will sign a renewal of the assault weapons ban. He even said it when running the first time, but has had made simular comments much more recent. Do a search and type in something like GEORGE BUSH SUPPORTS ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN EXTENSION, and I am sure you will find many news articles dealing with that topic.
    As far as gun shows- There is a McPain/Liebermann gun show bill that have not heard much about recently-I dont know if it has been put on the back burner. But George Bush said he would sign that bill if it reached his desk.

-Jimmy the cheese man
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    Bush say that the economy will become so robust with so many people working that the resulting increased revenues will erase the deficit, therefore no need to raise taxes. That sounds like a lot of McJobs to me and just more money going to the elite.
  • droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,363 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Allen Greenspan talking before congress. Barney Frank talking as I write this. I hope he does NOT say Irrational Exuberance

Which reminds me. Got this *.wav file in my email.

IT IS ONE (1) meg. I found it quite funny.

http://websoft2000.com/arg.wav

Plays well in explorer.

A lot of money is tainted - It taint yours and it taint mine.