In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Email Virus....

crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I've got a question for you computer experts, if you don't mind. My emails have been messing up since yesterday. I mean that they have become very slow and my little Smiley guys don't end up on the other end of my emails. When I send an email to myself to check how things are working, it takes several minutes to come in whereas it used to just take seconds...I'm using Outlook Express. Do you think I might have an email virus? I have run my Norton AntiVirus and scanned the whole computer, but it doesn't show any viruses or whether it is scanning Outlook Express, although I have my email scanner activated.
What do you think? Are there any email virus scanners that I can download from the internet?
Thanks for any help fellas.......

denny

Comments

• 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    If your Norton definitons are up to date and Norton didn't find anything, then it's not a virus.

Can't help with Outlook as I run Netscape Mail

" Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession.
    I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first".
    (Ronald Reagan)
  • trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen problems since yesterday with email from MSN as well.They are sent with words and arrive blank.Some go through and some go blank and some are received and some are received blank.Who knows.
  • crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks fellas...
    22WRF...My Norton is up to date, so I guess the virus thing is out. That and the fact that trusta45 is having problems too makes me think the system is having problems. I feel better now and will just be patient. "I have the patience of an oyster". Hmmm, I heard that somewhere but can't remember from who. [:D][:D] Thanks again.

denny
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I heard this morning the MYDOOM virus is screwing up mail and slowing things down.
    edited November -1
    I just heard the same thing about the MYDOOM.It showed how it gets to you through email and by god if I didnt open up one of them.It said on the news that if you send an email and it comes right back to you thats one way the virus gets in.3 nights ago I sent an email to my girlfriend at work and then on the last one I sent it came back like it was returned and said no known user as the reason and I knew there was because I had just gotten done sending a couple and like a fool I opened it and nothing was there.Thats how it got me.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What did it do when it "got" you? Everybody talks about how it is bouncing around through e-mail, but nobody says it does anything to your PC other than try to deny service to MS and SCOE web sites. Did it disturb your PC?

If you need a fix for MYDOOM, anyone, try this:

To make sure your computer has not been infected with MyDoom worm, click the link below and OPEN when prompted. This will scan your computer and disinfect it if you have been infected without your knowledge.

http://www.f-secure.com/tools/f-mydoom.exe

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    This afternoon, my computer at the college was running the processes on this board about as fast as my clogged apartment kitchen sink. I turned it off, then turned it on, and it's ok, so far.
  • crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    offeror....Actually, my computer seems to be working OK as before. It's just that the emails have been very slow in reaching their destination and my Smiley Central characters don't make it there at all....When sending emails to myself, no, I'm not lonesome, just testing, the last one took over 30 minutes to arrive....it's kind of weird. I'll try the link you provided and check it out. Thanks a bunch....

denny
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My computer was acting strange today so I used "GOBACK by Roxio" and went back 5 days and restored this setting. Now it seems to be working fine. This is the best software I have, it has fixed my computer several times. You don't need Virus software with this. If you get a virus just goback on your system to before you got the virus and restore those settings.
    edited November -1
    The only thing its doing to me is erasing all my emails.Before I opened that one email that was blank and returned everything was fine.Ever since more than half of my sent and received are blank.