In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Help Me Choose Please!!

trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I have just gotten my tax return and after going through all my bills and what not and I will have enough to pick me up a new pistol.I have narrowed it down and need some help choosing.Please give me your vote and reasoning for if you can.These are my choices so far.
1.Ruger Security-Six 4" in .357Magnum
2.Ruger P-97 in .45acp
3.Taurus PT-145 Millennium in .45acp
4.E.A.A-Tanfoglio Witness Full Size in 10mm
Please Help Me!![:D]
Nevermind the S&W

Comments

• rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    I don't think they make the Security Six any more. Sigmas don't have the reliability or longevity I require. That leaves the Witness or the Ruger P97. You won't go wrong with either one but I would lean towards the Ruger. The originator of the Witness design (CZ) does not offer a 10mm or a 45 in the original size (the CZ97 45 is a considerably beefier version). So that leaves the:

RUGER

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
  • trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was meaning a older one(security six) in excellent condition or I guess I could just as easy get a new GP-100.
  • kenneth and melissakenneth and melissa Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For me it would be #2 reason for me is i prefer a semi and dont care for the brands #3 and #4[:D]

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let people have guns ...why should we let them have ideas? --Joseph Stalin
  • TwoDogsTwoDogs Member Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know your situation..
    but, a good double action wheel gun in .357 w/a 4" barrel is tough to beat for an all round shooter.
    Ruger's are as tuff as they come...
    If your a new shooter..it's a good one to practice with in .38sp...and pack it with mags..as your collection grows...and this is the weird part most guns lovers get into....it can become your....
    "House" gun
    "Truck" gun
    "Always" gun
    "Field" gun..........you name it.....
    Gald your buying another or your first gun....enjoy.

"Always drink upstream from the herd"
    Will Rogers
  • h4ckthish4ckthis Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd pick door #3.

I have a Taurus Millennium PT145 .45 caliber. It's my CCW. I am very happy with it. A friend of mine who is a police detective told me it fires as good or better than his Glock. (But it's not as nice has his H&K).

I've had it for about 9 months, and other than some bad "range" ammo that cause some mis-fires, haven't had a bit of trouble with it. It has a double-stack mag, which fits my (medium sized) hand nicely. External safety and a "disabling" lock (which keeps the wife happy--although I never use it, and keep in on my person or locked in the car).

Don't get me wrong---I know there are better pistols out there. My next pistol purchase will probably be an H&K .45 or .40. But for the price I paid ($315), the Taurus can't be beat. Easy to maintain, easy to shoot, accurate, not alot of bells and whistles.

Just my .02394 cents (adjusted for inflation)

"That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defence of a free state..."
    Article 13
    Virginia Bill of Rights
  • FlatheadFlathead Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trusta45

Nevermind the S&W

Too bad! S&W makes a fine 357.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I'd go with the ruger six gun. Used, they are very inexpensive and will last a lifetime. Although the gp100's are getting real cheap new. Are they doing away with it or redesigning it? The shop here is selling them for 300 bucks.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
    edited November -1
    Whats the improvements between the Security-Six and the GP-100?Are they both equal guns.I would think that it would be better to get a Revolver from when a time that Revolvers were the main focus,now a days its all about the Auto-Loader.I would think that would be the best way to get a truly tough well made revolver.
    edited November -1
    Flathead I didnt mean that I was against any Smith & Wesson I just had a Sigma in .40s&w on my list and decided against it.Im open to suggestions on a Smith just not a Sigma.
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I Prefer the Decock Only Model. [:D] [:D] [8D]

85L.gif
    Gauge/Caliber: 45 Auto
    Capacity: 8 Rounds
    Finish: Stainless
    Stock/Grip: Custom Polymer Composite
    Barrel Length: 4 1/4"
    Rear Sight: Fixed
    Other Features: Decock-Only Mechanism / Firing Pin Block
    Suggested Retail Price: $ 495.00
    Miscellaneous: N/A

Ruger Decock-Only P-Series pistols offer the following features:

** Decock-Only models allow safe decocking to their "at-rest" mode when the ambidextrous decocking lever is depressed. The decocking lever springs back to the "fire" position when released and the gun can then be fired simply by a double-action pull of the trigger

** P-Series pistols are designed to be easily maintained and can be field-stripped into five major subassemblies for cleaning, without the need for special tools

** High visibility front and rear sights

Jacksonville.gif
    sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    4.E.A.A-Tanfoglio Witness Full Size in 10mm

Or any other option in 10mm!
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    Id get the Tangfolio or the Ruger. I like my Ruger and have heard good things about the Tangfolio.

Larry
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would vote for "none of the above" but since you axed for opinions on those...I vote with RugerNiner and for exactly the same reasons.

Mudge the big bore fan

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
    edited November -1
    I had a Tanf#$%^lio for about two weeks trying to get the thing to fire more than a couple of rounds in a row with out a jam or misfeed. Biggest piece of crap gun I ever had the misfortune of owning.
    The GP100 is a very tough pistol and very accurate in the 4 and 6 inch versions. If I've got money riding on a shot I always grab the GP. Buy one used with confidence because you can't hurt them without a blowtorch. The former owner is either dead or really needed some money.

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigdaddyjunior
    The former owner is either dead or really needed some money.

That might not have happened if he bought the 10mm! [:p][:D][;)]
    LOL
    edited November -1
    I love the 10 mil round, but I can't see a Tanf%$#@lio holding up to the power generated by it.

• plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Ruger 6. You buy one and you keep it a lifetime. You can also use it for a hammer if you need to pound in some nails. Accurate dependable and rugged.
  • Chaser11Chaser11 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [?] [8D] Now I'm confused as to why he got all these answers and not one poster asked wht he wanted the pistol/revolver for [?] is it for a house gun, for carry , for a plinker , a back up field gun? handguns aren't one size fits all. some model are better for some things than others. if he posts the intended use some of these answers may change. also if its' his first handgun or not. just a wench in the works [:D] [:D] [:D] [}:)] [;)]

American used to Roar like Lions for Liberty- Now they Bleat like Sheep for Security.
    Always Remember Security without Liberty is called PRISON! -
    edited November -1
    I want it as strictly just another gun while I have some money to throw around,just something nice,powerful and quality to add to the collection.No real paticular purpose,just something else.It may work in to be something else after I get it and shoot it enough to be proficient with it but it could still be relied on for defense in the mean time.I could probably deal with a gun that could double as a carry gun as the one i have now is a bit heavy.I am a revolver fan though,I find myself a little untrusting of Auto-Loading pistols.I have been trying to break myself of it but it seems hard to break.But just something else nice to have while I have the money.
  • Druid1Druid1 Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    all of the above, but i'm a compulsive buyer[:D]

the first step to failure is trying
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chaser11
    [?] [8D] Now I'm confused as to why he got all these answers and not one poster asked wht he wanted the pistol/revolver for [?] is it for a house gun, for carry , for a plinker , a back up field gun? handguns aren't one size fits all. some model are better for some things than others. if he posts the intended use some of these answers may change.

It doesn't matter, the 10mm will do it all! [:D][:D][:D] (although the compact version would conceal better).
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    Why have you limited yourself to this selection? Is it cost or preference?

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed"

NRA Life Member
  • hslaterprycehslaterpryce Member Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CAN'T go wrong with the Ruger!!! Dependable, tuff and a pleasure to shoot. Mine sure is![:)]
    edited November -1
    Mainly the cost.
  • h4ckthish4ckthis Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    So have you made your purchase yet, Trusta??

Gun show this weekend in Dale City, VA :)

"That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defence of a free state..."
    Article 13
    Virginia Bill of Rights
    edited November -1
    Not yet I am still racking the brain.Very soon though.By Monday.