In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ohio Gun Collectors Association

SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
How about some feed back on this? Pros and cons of being a member. I only know a few members and they have never really provided me much insight that convinces me to join.

I checked out their web site, but opinions from GB are much better...

"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent

Comments

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Don't forget OGCA this weekend.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Although I have attended the shows as a guest for many years, I just joined this year, so I don't have a lot of experience with the group. However:
    PRO's
    The cost of membership is about the same as attending local gun shows.
    Gun shows are open ONLY to members and guests, so you know everyone there is a serious shooter.
    Almost all the displays are by fellow members selling "their guns" so you can get a history of the gun (notice I didn't say "weapon" for other readers).
    I find the dealers and sellers are much better informed then a normal show.
    If you are a C&R guy, there are tables full of these type guns you normally don't see at other shows.
    You have a badge so everyone knows who is who.
    Parts for guns are more available then normal.

CON's
    Only 6 shows per year.
    Location of show is limited to two places.
    No reloading components.

There's great turnout for this organization and the knowledge base is much higher, that's why I desided to join.

Good shooting
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi!

Thanks for your interest in OGCA. It is the oldest and may still be the largest collectors association, but that could have changed. Regardless it's a very large group and basically all shooting and collecting interests are covered pretty darn well.

I'm a member and been one for a while. I'm not an officer or recruiter for the group and I've no desire to be. Just want to do my thing and when opportunities present theirself tell folks about the group.

As stated above there are only 6 meetings a year. Presently 3 are held near Wilmington (about 50 miles South of Columbus off I-71) and 3 mtngs. near Milan which is Exit 118 (route 250) off of the Ohio Turnpike.

Guests are welcome, and if you don't know a member near you that will set you up with a guest pass, drop me an email and if I'm going to be at that mtng. I'll provide you with one. I typically make all of the Milan mtngs, and usually have a table setup. Wilmington is another matter ... I do go, but as it is close to a 4 hour drive it depends on weather and how I am feeling ... and I generally take a table and stay over night because the round trip coupled with the wandering at the meeting is getting to be a bit too much for me.

Guests can not buy or even carry "firearms", but accessory items, ammo, etc. are OK. And contrary to a previous reply there often is reloading equipment at the meeting. However, the mix changes from mtng. to mtng. so there may be times when there is none to very little reloading equipment ... never seen a meeting where there were not components though.

Generally members will take the time to answer questions, swap stories, etc. Not all though as some are members as well as merchants that hit the gun show circuit and they won't typically jeopardize a sale to carry on a protacted conversation.

Lastly, to join the OGCA a person needs the sponsorship of 2 members that have been members longer than 1 year. Given the size of the membership and that a prospective member is already there as the guest of one member introductions and getting to know each other seems to flow pretty naturally. Then with your sponsors signature you submit the application, pay the fee, and you will be a temp member until the next meeting when new applicants are voted in. A listing of all applicants is part of our newsletter that goes out before the next mtng. and members are asked to review and comment if they see someone that they feel is questionable/objectionable. And if a person would be rejected (very rare) their money is refunded.

So hope I've answered some of your questions, if you have more, email me ... happy to try and answer them and if I can't I'll do my best to find someone that can.

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • 11thcanopy11thcanopy Member Posts: 448 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Membership well worth the price for being able to attend what are definitely some of the best shows in the country.

If what ever you collect isn't at the OGCA shows, the Houston, Texas show or at Tulsa, odds are you ain't gonna find it.

Just my 2 cents worth, 11thcanopy, life member OGCA
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone for the great input. I know the quality at the shows is well worth the membership so I have to decide if the 6 meetings and the travel to each one is worth it for me. I sorta expect it will be.

A couple other things, isn't the membership like $30 a year? How about registration of guns? Do you fill out paperwork in the beginning so you are not registering every time you purchase throughout your membership or is it individual times?
    I know the old ones do not require registration.

"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • spike449spike449 Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been a member of OGCA for 35 years. Badge number is 6XXX, and recent ones are over 45,000. Great shows. Some of the finest, most knowledgeable men and women you will meet are there. Some of the best guns you will EVER see for sale show up there. Your money will be well spent.

By the way, reloading EQUIPMENT (tools, dies, bullets, molds, cases, etc) is there. Just not POWDER or PRIMERS.

The more I read the posts of the Contender Man, I think I met and talked to him at the last show!

Jon

Good judgement comes from experience.
    Experience comes from bad judgement. Gen. Omar Bradley