In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

New carry gun, down to two choices

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited January 2004 in General Discussion
Ok, I got some decent comments on the Sprinfield Armory 1911-A1 and I am still pondering it. I also have a possible deal on a new Glock but not sure if I am ready for a plastic gun. Here is what I am dealing with now and maybe y'all can steer me in the right direction.

I like the 1911 style guns, my current gun is a small framed 1911 clone (Llama Mini Max .40S&W). The SA is a full sized .45ACP with a 10+1 cap. Although I like the gun, it may just be too big as I am only 5'11" 185#s.

To change over to a .45 will cause me to have a big ammo/brass and die sale for .40 S&W, over 5000 rounds of loaded and empty brass. I will have to "retool" so to speak for a .45.

Not sure of the model number on the Glock yet as I will have a choice most likely but it will be in .40S&W. Now I have heard the complaints about the Kabooms and I know they are as ugly as sin but I have also heard very good reviews on them.

This may very well be the last carry gun I purchase since I am not a handgun fanatic. The gun needs to last, no trips to the 'smith for repairs and tweaks. Need to be able to pull it out of the box, load it and fire with no problems after which it will be subject to abuse of riding in vehicles, damp enviroments and pee poor maintenence. To me a handgun is nothing more than a tool, I do not drool over them, I do not compete with them and personaly don't really like to shoot them.

I just need a good out of the box gun that if and when it is needed it will be ready to go. These two choices are deals that I can complete this week if I choose to so looking for a different brand of gun is out of the question, these are the two that I will have to choose from. Any suggestions from you handgun guys?

line.gif
email2b.gif
hillbilly.gif

Comments

• njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Bubba,

Go Glock

vic.jpg

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    I am not a fan of the Glock but I am required to carry one on the 'job'. They are a good reasonably priced shooting machine, BUT IF YOU CARRY ONE THE TRIGGER MUST BE COVERED AT ALL TIMES. It would be like carring your 1911 cocked BUT NOT LOCKED. The Glock 23 is a good carry gun. I have both the comp and non comp and the comp does make quit a differance in muzzle flip.
    Hope this helped.[:)]

Self defence is an ablsolute and natural right. Keep your powder dry! J. Rau, Alaska
  • MPinkstonMPinkston Member Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree, you just described a Glock. And don't worry about that "plastic", is can take anything you can dish out!

aguncollector@prodigy.net
  • hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like my springfield 1911-a1 but don't think I would want it for a CC gun. My older brother uses a HK for his duty gun, swares by them. He has owned 2 glocks and swalled the barrels on both. I value his opinion highly( 22 years military and 12 years LEO)

just my .02
  • trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have heard some not so flattering things about Llama.I cant say the same for Glock.I have always heard they will shoot every time.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why are you limiting your carry options to just those two?

I'll second the other guys - Glock. However, if you are set on one of these, I'd keep the smaller .40 S&W because you're already set up for it (reloading supplies), being smaller it'll be easier to conceal, and thus you'll carry it more often.

I have a full-sized Glock 20 (10mm) and also a full-size Kimber 1911. I would have to be wearing a jacket or a fanny pack for me to be able to carry either of these concealed.

If I were in your position, I'd get a Glock 29 which shoots 10mm. You can buy barrels for them to allow .357 SIG or .40 S&W to be fired from it. The 10mm and the .40 S&W use the same projectiles, I believe the same powder, and the cases are a lot a like, the 10mm is longer and if I recall correctly the .40 S&W uses small primers.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:0]What, no Rugers?[:0]

My shooting buddy has the Springfield Armory 1911-A1 and a Glock in 40SW. I have shot both a lot and personally favor the Glock out of the two for handling and accuracy although not as pleasing to the eye as the 1911.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.

Don't fly the river!
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I much prefer a wheelgun for serious business as well as fun; I just shoot better with one and have never had a round "stovepipe" or had a feed failure with a revolver. That said, I do have a Glock and an issue 1911A1 - both are great firearms and if you want a semi-auto, neither is a bad choice IMHO. For CCW, I'd take the Glock for the weight and I do carry mine sometimes. Don't worry about the "plastic" - that is one tough polymer on these weapons and it will bear up . . . mine has been - inadvertently - abused and it is still like new except for some scratches.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    5' 11" and 185 lbs. is plenty big enough to shoot either of these guns. You might like an alloy frame on your 1911 better than an all steel job. But I agree with the concensus that you just described a Glock. If it ever needs anything, chances are you can fix it yourself or have the work done in 5 minutes by a local armorer. The .40 is a nice round to shoot from the smaller framed Glocks, but so is the .45 in any gun. The .45 will not tear you up, even out of an alloy framed compact.

Go for the Glock. It will be lighter and yet more pleasant to shoot with less muzzle rise. Everyone I have taken to the range with a 1911 style, and a Glock, has enjoyed the Glock more. And it's not plastic, it's more of a nearly indestructible space-age polymer compound.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpg Life Member - fortbutton2.gif
  • 4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    I own a Glock 22 40 s+w and a Kimber Custom Stainless Target. Both are great guns but the Glock is much lighter and easier to tote. The Glocks are verry accurate too and as long as you don't screw up reloading and using lead bullets K-booms aren't an issue. I love em both but for carry I'd go Glock. The G23 compact or G27 subcompact mini, (my next purchase), would probably be better for concealed carry.

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd go for the Glock 23 (Semi Compact) with adj.sights.In a 9mm the Kel-Tec is hard to beat.

[^] [^] [^] [^]

standard.jpg

Why is it that our children can't read a Bible in school, but they
    can in prison?

ATF,Eagle Guns
  • greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    In a word...Browning.

the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt
  • KIMBER MANKIMBER MAN Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i cant belive im going to say this,but given your choices go with the glock.

"HONOR IS BETTER THAN HONORS"
    "KEEP THE SKEER ON"
  • SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm I would have you look at the hk usp series as well..they are in my opinion better than glocks and my usp-9 has less recoil than my buddies model 17 glock and I like the trigger better..that being said glock is reliable as anything else and it meets your "go boom everytime" criteria..as far as a ccw gun if it has to be small then glock has the market cornererd with the g-27 in .40 cal....yes the 10mm uses large pistol primers and the .40 uses small primers

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,RUSTY WALLACE FAN AND AS EVERYONE SO OFTEN POINTS OUT PISS POOR TYPIST e-mail alisonandwalt@charter.net
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Carry what you've already got.

Mudge the frugal

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mudge, I would keep this Llama but it has a broken safety catch and I have been looking for two years for the part and NOBODY has it. Every dealer I have been to, all the web sites have turned up nothing. Sometimes when I shoot it the safety catches and sooner or later it will blow the gun up. I am going to completely remove the safety from it and make it a house gun or sell it, good little gun but it is no good for carry in this condition.

Thanks for the info folks, there just may be a Glock in my future, hammerless DA every shot gun, may just be what I need!

line.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    Glock 21 is the model number you want. IMHO, the smaller Glocks in 45 ACP are just too small to shoot well and to control. Are you a Tennessee or Missisippi resident?

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed"

NRA Life Member
    edited November -1
    Boomerang, not sure of the model number yet but it will need to be the same size as my Mini Max and in .40S&W. I live in the northern hillbilly state of PA!

line.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    Get a Glock 30. 10 rounds of 45 ACP beats 10 of 40 S&W. I love to shoot my 1911's, but the Glock is a better carry gun. I am about your size and the modal 21 just does not fit my hand, but the 30 is just right. If you are set on a 40 S&W, the model 23 is a good choice. I carried a model 22 a good bit until I got the model 30.
  • toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    If you're carrying alot I would go with the Glock, lightweight and dependable, plus most threat situations are 7 yds. or less you don't need something that will group 2" or less at 25 yds. I had a Glock in the 40 S&W, Model 23, it was very dependable and light. I sold it and bought my first Sig, a 225 and haven't bought nothing but Sigs since except for my Kimber Ultra CDP, I wanted a 1911 style auto just to say I had one.

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!

If they're still moving, put another round in them!

P239n_Beauty.gif
  • alarmguyalarmguy Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey! Don't forget Sringfield came out with The XD.
    It gives you the best of both worlds, looks like a Glock.
    But it's shoots like a 1911, i got to shoot one.

Starting price about 450.00 all the Glock nuts like it.
    Find some who has one , Try it you like it.
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    I'm picking up that same Mini LNIB soon...It's paid, just waiting to DROS. Maybe I can get yours as a parts gun...I'll do some checking into how to get the part. It's got to be around somewhere

CHOICE 1 Para Companion Carry Option 3.5" barrel 7.1" length 7+1

CC745SNphoto.jpg
    http://www.paraord.com/pages/carry.html#carryoption

CHOICE 2 Para CCW 4.25" barrel 7.7" length 7+1

CCW745Sphoto.jpg

Kimber Ultra? A little thick for me.
    Colt Defender, remove the Pachmyer's and put on slim checkered wood? Maybe.

Kimber Ultra RCP II 2003 Special Edition? Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! $1288 MSRP uhhh..
    UltraRCPII.jpgrcp_detail02.jpg

Lightweight Black Armory KoteT Micro?PX9804L -not posted to keep file size down..
    http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/PX9804LLarge.jpg
    Local shop has them for $580...List? $993

Other stuff:

.32 ACP Beretta 3032 INOX
    http://www.berettausa.com/product/product_pistols_main.htm

9mm S&W 908S
    http://firearms.smith-wesson.com/store/index.php3?cat=293573&sw_activeTab=1

40S&W Sig P-239
    http://www.sigarms.com/products/classicpersonalsize-models.asp?product_id=43
  • CWatsonCWatson Member Posts: 964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm,

Want a no fuss gun get the Glock.About your Llama though.Are you saying the thump safety itself is broken? Or the mechinism locks up during firing? If it is just the thumb safety itself has worn out of tolerance [yourgunparts.com] has the part,matte blue is part# D127,your cost $12.You can check with Llama but the grip safeties for most of their models 9mm,40cal,45ACP,except the 32,380acp Micro Maxs are the same in function but part # may very buy the finish.Heck if you lived near LA,I'd put it in for you.

Hope that helps,CWatson

1.KILL EM' ALL AND LET ALLAH SORT EM' OUT!

2.NEVER WASTE MONEY ON SPRINGFIELD ARMORY!!
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a tough time with having only one concealed carry gun heres' my top four that I own. All of them work 100% of the time, and I can shoot all of them well. From left to right you have

1. Browning Hi-power .40 S&W, 4 3/4 in bbl, stainless steel frame, 10+1 capacity.

2. S.A. V-10 ultra compact 1911, 45 ACP, 6+1 capacity, aluminum frame, ported

3. Taurus tracker, titanium frame, 7 shot .357 Mag Ported

4. S&W 386PD Scandium frame, crimson trace laser grips, 7 shot .357 mag.

fa1b6d24.jpg

It's hard to pick a favorite, depends on the clothing I can wear, where I'm going, ect. Most of the time, It's the Taurus, then the Smith, then the 1911, then If I have something to cover it up well enough the hi-power. Seven shots of .357Magnum should be enough to resolve any problem I may run into. The most important thing, no matter what you go with is that you shoot it all the time. You can't afford not to be a really good shot with your concealed carry gun. Just my opionion.

R/

Dave
    edited, of course, for spelling.

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    It is like choosing the beautiful blonde or the gorgeous brunette, you poor guy! Either one is going to be great.

I have a Glock compact 40S&W with the "night sights" and it performs flawlessly and will take a heck of a beating. Durability is not a serious consideration. I still get nervous with the "trigger safety", but have never heard of any one accidently shooting themselves on account of it. Maybe someone else has. I like the 40cal.

That being said my son bought his first handgun as Springfield Armory 1911. He bought it at a gun show and it had the "necessary" work done on the trigger and etc. First time I picked it up I shot better than I ever have with my Glock.

My Glock and I need more time to be acquainted. Since I shoot animals more than people (never have and hope never to have to) I am a better pistolera with my Ruger Security 6 double action .357 (consistantly out shoot the cops at the testing range with this one) and my Ruger Bisley single action .44

Okay, but a carry gun. The Glock. My son is already looking for a carry concealed gun. The 1911 is just a little too big to do it right.

Good luck pal.
    edited November -1
    7mmnut- So what's the verdict and when are you going to pick it up? Sounds like you're going to get a glock in .40 S&W. I'm just being nosey about the details I guess.

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • richcecilrichcecil Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Speaking as a die-hard S&W person(yes even during the "brit years")I have to go with a CS9, I have both a Glock(duty) and the CS9, the glock is lighter... but the CS9 has been reliable thru everything i have put it thru.

"single by deceit,parent by choice"
    edited November -1
    Right now I don't know what is going on, I lost my huntin buddy last night and right now I feel pretty danged bummed out. Hoping someone finds him and calls me, he has three collars on with name tags that have my phone number, although I doubt I will get him back alive, he was acting funny last night, when I tried to call him back off the mountain he dissapeared. He may go hole up somewhere and end up dying. I camped in the pickup all night last night waiting for him to come back, spent most of the day out riding around and walking trying to find him, I think he is gone, and right now I just wanna crawl in a hole and die myself. I don't get attached to dogs but this little guy won my heart and I love the little bugger, I miss him and I want him back. He was like a child, part of my little world, he was my buddy and now he is gone.

line.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
    edited November -1
    I'm really sorry, I hope he makes it back to you very soon. I'll be thinking about the two of you.

R/

Dave

• plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    7mm I hope you find him.

My dog right now is my best pal. She never minds if I am late. She is always egar to go and do all she can to make my day. When I am down she knows it and gives me full body push hugs. When she does good, she knows it and is all smiles.

A good dog will give you unconditional love and friendship. They don't expect much and give all they have.

Don't give up on her too soon. My partner's dog slipped off on a nose mission down in the breaks and he did not find her for 5 days. When we got back down she was sitting at the cabin waiting for us.
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    I'd go with the Glock Mod. 23, cal. .40 S&W. We're issued the Glock Mod. 22 in .40 cal.

I wanted a smaller Glock for off-duty carry, and our range officer recommended the Glock Mod. 27, the subcompact. I bought it, and the magazine pinky extensions at 8 bucks a pop so it would fit my hand.
    A friend has a Glock Mod. 23, the compact. Comparing the 23 and 27, with the pinky extensions, made me wish I'd bought the 23. The grips on the two are the same length which makes them have the exact same problems with carrying concealed.

If I had it to do over again, I'd get the 23, as the barrel is 1/2 inch longer, as is the sight radius. Plus, the 23 has the rails so you can add a light if you want.

A few more things about Glocks:
    1. Borrow a Glock 23 from someone, take it and your 1911 to the range. Lock the slide back, cant it about 45 degrees, and slam in a full magazine. The slide will go forward chambering the first round without you touching the slide release. This is important in a gunfight as you don't have to 'find' the slide release, and you won't accidentally hit the slide release before the magazine is seated in the pistol. (This doesn't work with the subcompact Model 27, another reason I wish I'd bought a 23.)
    2. Shoot the Glock some till you get used tot he trigger and recoil, etc.
    3. Since the majority of gunfights are really really close, try this drill with your 1911 and the Glock.
    A. Stand about 6 feet from your target.
    B. Draw and fire 5 shots as fast as you can pull the trigger.
    You'll find that with the Glock, those 5 shots will be in the target before the first piece of brass hits the ground. This is because the Glock trigger's release and reset distance is shorter than a 1911's. To see how the short distance is, pull the trigger on a empty Glock. Hold the trigger back and cycle the slide. Then, SLOWLY release the trigger till it resets.

I used to think Glocks were just another pistol, and 'fugly' pistols at that. I was a fan of S&W and 1911 semi-auto pistols. I had never even held a Glock in my hand until I was forced to. Now, except for the Ithaca GI issue 1911 my dad gave me, the only semi-auto pistols I own are Glocks.

I'm rambling, but I just thought of one more thing. Glock factory support. Last summer, we held a Sheriff's sale, and one dealer bought all the firearms, including one Glock Mod. 17 in 9mm. Glocks have serial numbers in 3 places, on the slide, on the barrel, and a plate attached on the bottom of the front of the frame. The serial plate on the frame was missing. That frame serial number is the ONLY number the FEDS recognize as the real serial number. I called the Glock home office in the US, in Smyrna, GA., to remedy the problem. They had the dealer ship the pistol to them. They replaced the frame, along with all the parts in it. The cost? $45.00. That's right, 45 measly bucks! Name any other gun maker that has that kind of customer support.

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • snarlgardsnarlgard Member Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    everone here is talking about a glock......
    I would go with the springfield...I don't like a weapon that does not have a safety...I wouldn't call that little lever a safety
    the 1911a1 has three safetys as you probly realize haveing a lama the manual safety, the grip safety (will not fire without a proper grip) and the muzzle safety (will not fire with the muzzle depressed to the rear)and the later models like the 1991a1 and the 80 series also have a fireing pin safety so they can not fire without the trigger being pulled. The 1911a1 is one of the few weapons I feel is safe to carry in the cocked and locked configuration.
    but so did the military for many years and many now in the military now regret the change to a different weapon
    I own a springfield 1911a1 that takes a P14 mag and it is very comfortable to fire. the wider grips to accomadate the double stack mags are harder on smaller hands but if you have med to large hands you should find the grips more comfortable.
    the springfield is a good out of the box shooter and has great fit and finish on all I have seen in person.I don't know of a better point shooting weapon than a 1911a1( that I have shot)
    as for concealment I carry one daily.
    I carry strong side in a holster I made to fit it.
    with a butt forward tilt (also called a FBI cant)of about 30 degrees
    you will find it easy to conceal just back of the mid-line of the body over the hip
    with a high carry you can cover it with the tail of a long shirt.
    and you will find out with pratice you can draw it faster than most people can realize you are not takeing out your wallet.
    I recomind a high carry(with the triger just at the belt level) so it does not dig into your side when you sit down.
    With a good belt you will hardly notice the weight of a gun at your side weither you carry a 1911a1 or a glock
    I have explained my reasons and my mode of carry so you can think about the differences in the guns and how you wish to carry so you may make an informed choice
    I also recomind you shoot both to see which you are more comfortable with before you buy

just my two cents worth

Lt. snarlgard RRG
    SMILE...MAKE EM WONDER WHAT YOUR UP TO[}:)]
    fcb9874f.jpg.thumb.jpgfc21ef6c.gif
  • lanlesneelanlesnee Member Posts: 135
    edited November -1
    I've carried a S&W 645 about the same size and weight of a 1911 and I've also carried a Glock 23c. The Smith was eaier to carry inside the pants because it was thinner, but the plastic frame of the Glock was lighter and warmer against my side. Smith jammed on me 5 or 6 times at the range The Glock never jammed ever, even after I found it sitting in about 1/2 of water for 3 weeks, cleaned right up. So my choice would have to be for FANTASTIC PLASTIC, the Glock, but given any choice I really would pick the H&K USP 40. A lot like the Glock, but you can get a decocker and thumb safty.