In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Unintended Consequences

PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I finished reading, "Unintended Consequences," today. It took me all of 10 days to get through this book. If any of you haven't read it yet, do! It is one of the best books I have read in a very long time. It really makes you think.

Patrick Buzzard
Michigan National Guard
19K-- tanker
"Strike Hard!!"

Comments

• PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    I decided to buy Unintended Consequences by John Ross at the Detroit layover last week. I began reading it a few nights ago, and I am HOOKED.

I am about a quarter through the book and already I can tell you not only should gun owners read it, but every American should read it.

Paranoia? History says otherwise.
    [:D]
    edited November -1
    A project that might be interesting regarding the results would be to follow through the process of various liberal endeavors. Some arer fairly easy- for example- militaries cause war, so get rid of the military and there will be no war- this is sort of true, but following the logic, those following it will become slaves. Less apparent are concepts such as an extreme form of vegetarianism= don't eat anything that requires killing, and don't kill anything. The result would be no funding to any animals, so all animals would be reverted to wild state- since the food system will not support them in a wild state, the population of all animals would decrease. additionally all crops, generally called truck crops, such as potatoes and all root crops, where the plant is killed to get the root, would no longer be planted, essentially becoming extinct.

So what would the world look like if such policies were followed on a global level? Food variety would include tree fruits, a few vegetables, a few sap products (maple syrup, cane sugar), rice and corn might be considered if it was allowed to die a natural death before harvesting. The only wood prducts available would be from prunings.

You get the idea- Earth would be a vastly different place- hard telling who the survivors (other than ants and roaches) would be.
    edited November -1
    by John Ross
    "For the last 100 years, cops have known it was ok to beat on people and kill them as long as they only beat on and killed colored guys.
    Then, starting a few years ago, cops learned they could beat on and kill not only colored guys, but also white guys. As long as the white guys had long hair, ratty clothes, no jobs, and were out in public, bitching about Vietnam.
    Now, in addition to colored guys and white guys that have long hair, ratty clothes and no jobs, who are out protesting in public, the cops have learned it is ok to beat and kill white guys with short hair, nice clothes, and good jobs, inside their own homes, if the white guy owns guns."
    Not the good cops, but some.
    Unintended consequences. We never meant it to go this far did we?

spiny
    'not all who wander are lost'
    edited November -1
    I recently purchased a rifle on the auction side, and found the FFL I was using has gone from business. So, I went to the list and found a fellow in the next town over. It turns out this fellow is an expert gunsmith and all around terrific person. I got an extra bargain with that rifle.
    edited November -1
    It's been about 5 years so,I figured i would read it again...
    Here's a PDF version that's free to read online.

http://www.greatwhitedesert.org/documents/Ross_-_Unintended_Consequences.pdf
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    OK I will bite. What is it about?

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    It's a fictional/historical account of some of the things that have led us to where we are today with gun rights and the abuses that we could suffer due to a bunch of overzealous gov't agents and bereaucrats! The story is a good read and the historical facts that are brought out and entertwined with the story are accurate! I think I'll build me a 6mm-348! [;)][;)]GHD
    edited November -1
    The basic idea is that Gun legislation and the BATF get so out of control that an "Open season" is declared on BATF agents, and it eventualy spreads to a whole slew of other government employess who are seen as problems and leaches on society as a whole. Eventually the president is forced to the bargaining table and is forced to make things right.
    What I really liked was how the book presented known historical facts to back up viewpoints, and presented known history. The element of history realism helped to really draw me into the book. As I said the book is nearly 900 pages long and I finished it in a little over a week. I couldn't put it down.

Patrick Buzzard
    Michigan National Guard
    19K-- tanker
    "Strike Hard!!"
  • shooter4shooter4 Member Posts: 4,457
    edited November -1
    Yup, can't put it down when you start it.
  • Tiger6Tiger6 Member Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting reading for sure.. The ending is a bit strange, but still interesting.. Hard book to find. We had to order it. When placing the order at Hawley-Cooke Book Sellers.. They wanted to know if we wanted to we our real name on the order form.. Seems they see the book as a "way out there," "radical," and anti-Government.. Made us want to read it even more.. [}:)][;)][}:)]

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
    George Orwell

TARGETS UP!
    TIGER6
  • campcook51campcook51 Member Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you enjoyed Unintended Consequences, you might enjoy reading
    the monthly John Ross newsletter, just do a Google search for the link, I find
    his writing interesting..
    I've given a couple of folks the book as a gift. It is a good
    read, and I couldn't put it down...

Regards,
    Mark T.
    edited November -1
    My University's library didn't have the book, I had to order it inter-library loan all the way from Lansing. You should have seen the look on the librarian's face when I went to pick the book up. (The cover of the book featrues a jack-booted atf thug holding Lady Justice? at gunpoint.) It's a rather disturbing image. That librarian looked at me as if I was a threat or something. It felt kinda weird.

Patrick Buzzard
    Michigan National Guard
    19K-- tanker
    "Strike Hard!!"
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    quote:That librarian looked at me as if I was a threat or something. It felt kinda weird.
    quote:They wanted to know if we wanted to we our real name on the order form.. Seems they see the book as a "way out there," "radical," and anti-Government.. Made us want to read it even more..

Welcome to the New World Order....
    edited November -1
    I don't really care what the rest of the world thinks of me. I was not put here to conform to their idealized ideas of what they think the world should look like. I know what I believe. I know what i value. And I know that somet things actually ARE worth fighting for.

Patrick Buzzard
    Michigan National Guard
    19K-- tanker
    "Strike Hard!!"
    edited November -1
    I don't really care what the rest of the world thinks of me. I was not put here to conform to their idealized ideas of what they think the world should look like. I know what I believe. I know what i value. And I know that somet things actually ARE worth fighting for.

Patrick Buzzard
    Michigan National Guard
    19K-- tanker
    "Strike Hard!!"
  • earthmvrearthmvr Member Posts: 473 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Who's the author?

4dff19a9.gifc716f163.gif72d96bc6.jpg
    Proud member of the NRA and Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was