In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Stain removal

BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I'm in the process of refinishing the stock on the Winchester mod.67A I just got.The wood and original finish is in great shape,but apparently,some genius decided it would be better with a clear of some sort on it which over time has turned into a wrinkle finish.
Anyway,I'm down to the original finish w/a stripper we use at the shop that's for rubber bumpers and plastic parts that worked great,but that's another story.
My questions are:
1.How can I remove the dark,body-oil stains in the pistol-grip and forearm areas without ruining the original finish?

2.What should I use on the original finish to end up with as close to the factory finish as possible?

All advise is appreciated.
BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.

Comments

• Smokeeater 38Smokeeater 38 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I was afraid that you needed to get blood out of the carpet & drapes and off of the walls & ceiling. [}:)] [;)] [:p]

I don't know of any way to get it out completely. There maybe something out there that can lighten it up but I can't remember what it is. The best bet may be to stain it darker to match the stains already there.

Get the job done and come home safe guys.

I rush in where others flee.
  • bsallybsally Member Posts: 3,165
    edited November -1
    Do a search in the experts forum. I remember a week or two ago someone asked about drawing gun oil out of a stock. There were several responses. Maybe that would work for body oil too.

SALLY
    Committee member-Ducks Unlimited
  • orca44magorca44mag Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Acetone can be used without raising the grain of the wood.
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,079 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    try parks furniture refinisher,it takes the finish off but the patina stays. used it on many old stocks and it will get some of the oil out. you can also put the stock in the oven,if it fits,rapped looselyin clean rags set at 150. this draws quite abit of the oil out. old towels work best.if al else fails household bleach will work but you will have to sand lightly to get down to original color.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bsally was remembering my similar question:
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=92115
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The post referenced above has one reply that talks about a product carried by Brownells that is a "whitener", might be worth the time to check out ther catalog for the full line of finishing stuff that they have.

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!