In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

RBCD Defensive Ammo

Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
There's a small company in San Antonio, TX that has been mfg. custom defensive ammo for 6-7 years.

RBCD has lines of govt. and LE Only ammo, and they have civilian PD in what they call Performance Plus Platinum Ammunition that retails for just under $40 for a box of 20. The bullet is what is known as a TFSP for Totally Fragmenting Soft Point. The design is to totally disentigrate on hard surfaces yet dump extreme energy in "soft" targets.

For those that have actually used this ammo, what is your experience and feelings with/about this product. Anybody know of an actual shooting incident where the ammo was used?

Most people when I say RBCD Ammo they go 'Huh? Who's that again?'

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!

Comments

• greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    I believe this is the company that makes the fragmenting ammo for the Air Marshalls. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but, they came up with the patent didn't they?

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw the videos and the plate steel used for demonstrations at the Tulsa show two years ago and bought some. Fortunately, I've never had to "test" its effectiveness, but I was impressed with the performance I saw. My understanding is that it is designed to perform the same regardless of the hardness of the target - on steel, for example, transfer all its energy on striking rather than ricochet, much as it does on a softer one; I could be wrong on this . . . it wouldn't be my first mistake. The dents it put in a steel plate were startling, though. I've never followed up on it, but I believe some PDs are using these rounds and perhaps you can link to reports from their home page: http://www.rbcd.net/

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)
  • tidemantideman Member Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've tried my own ballistic tests with the 9mm and the .45acp.
    It's awesome!
    I used a plastic 1 gallon milk jug filled with water as my target. One shot with the 9mm round and the jug exploded. Then, upon closer examination, I found several pieces of the round laying at the base of the jug. Most of the 9mm was still in an extremely close vacinity to the target. I can't remember the grain for the 9mm.
    The .45ACP I used was 90 grain/2470fps. It too was awesome.
    Some gun shops aren't selling it due to fears of legal repercussions.
    My personal belief..I loved it so much I bought some and still conceal carry the loads from time to time. It tends to re-enforce my GunBroker signature:

"Don't shoot to stop 'em, Shoot to Destroy 'em!"
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. and still looking for more posts, but I wanted to jump back in with a note to "tideman" and others as well ...

Please be careful with what you put in "signatures" here or elsewhere or even what sayings you may want to display on your car or person, because, sadly, in todays environment ... if you are in a shooting incident ... all of that will be used against you, and you may get "hammered" in a situation where w/o any of that you would have walked. Lastly, please remember that threre is a criminal and a civil side in the law. Draw a walk on the criminal, but get totally ruined on the civil.

Just something that should be considered ...

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!