In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Does this users listings seem questionable?

bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/SellerAuctions.asp?User=id:330156

All of his listings are "parts kits", basically everything except the frame. He may be a totally honest person, but to me if you're selling everything except the only part with a serial number it tends to make me wonder if it's hot.
However, the Glock 20 kit would also have the number on the slide and barrel (if not hot, it'd be a great kit for someone with a G21).

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.

Comments

• timbromantimbroman Member Posts: 1,164
    edited November -1
    Bambi, I hadn't thought about the "hot" aspect of the "kit" market but I have noticed an increasing amount of "kits" in Shotgun News lately. As I recall it seems to be mostly involved in automatic/semiautomic rifles and carbines. Then there are vendors of the sheet metal stampings and necessary templates - it seems to me - to build a receiver. Not a huge chore for a handy mechanic. I was just talking to a GB member about a neighbor of mine who repaired a broken "action arm" on a .22 pump rifle with an oxy-acetylene torch and a piece of coathanger wire, then filed and polished the mend so it would clear the fitting in the receiver and operates like a champ - that piece couldn't have been much bigger than 1/8" x 1/16", so I don't doubt that some pretty nifty work is going on out there with some of those kits.
  • wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,067
    edited November -1
    A lot of the kits you see are from police departments that will not sell complete guns from thier evidence rooms. These PDs strip the parts from the frames or receivers and sell the complete parts set minus the frame

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: And he that hath no sword,let him sell his garment, and buy one
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    He could have used the frame to make a rifle and decided the parts were worth more than the whole. I always like to see the positive.

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd bet the frames are hot.

Chris8161
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not say that this is the case, but there are several folks out there that have some type of relationship with law enforcement where they get to strip confiscated weapons, then the frame is destroyed.

I started seeing this when Police Auctions started to become Politically Incorrect and the departments still wanted to generate some revenue.

Looking at the range that this poster is covering this just may be the case here.

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!