In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Personal vs Home Defence

gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Just thought I would ask what do you use as a Personal Defence Weapon and what do you use for Home Defence? Is it different than what you have in your vehicle?

Greg
Former
USMC
ANGLICO

Comments

• mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    CCW - either Glock 30 or HK Tactical (adding a P7M8 soon which I will carry when weathers hot...)

At home - Benelli M1014

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Personal Defense: Any caliber pistol, as long as the caliber starts with a 4.

Home Defense: 12 ga. shotgun.

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • bmbuzlrbmbuzlr Member Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I keep a BAR in .300win mag under the bed for home and I carry a Taurus .454casull with a 5" barrel as my personal defense gun.

"What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith,1787.

"They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

If God didn't want us to eat animals, then he wouldn't have made them out of meat.
    largemarge.jpg
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Home weapons are an AR-18, AR-15, and MAC10 in .45.

I usually carry a PPk or a little .22 Beretta.

In the shop I keep a 1911A1 and a FAL ready.
  • trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the same all around.a 4" .357Magnum and I have the SAR-1 if I get invaded.I guess maybe I need to get me a shotgun.
  • familyguyfamilyguy Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personal carry: P7M8

Home defense: well, it would probably be the P7 also, since it goes everywhere with me, but I have a .410 AOW designated as my 'home defense' gun.

Got a new gun for my ex-wife.....pretty good trade, huh?
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I have a shorty 870 eight rounder and a 38 Colt Agent for the house. My carry guns are the Kimber TLE and the HK p7. I carry them to bed so I guess they're home defense too. The 870 is loaded with the law enforcement low velocity buck shot that won't go through the walls unless extremely close. All the handguns are JHP's.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    normaly when i carry it is an hk usp 9mm or a sig sauer p-226 in .40 s&w but the home defense gun is a sig sauer p-232 in .380 only reason being is that the sig 232 will fit in our hiding spot and the others are too big to be left out...i lock the 226 and the hk in my safe but the 232 is small enough to fit in our our hiding spot

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,RUSTY WALLACE FAN AND AS EVERYONE SO OFTEN POINTS OUT PISS POOR TYPIST e-mail alisonandwalt@charter.net
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personal = pistol.
    Home = 12 ga. shotgun. Or whatever is close.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • alarmguyalarmguy Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Form one of the new guy's

I have the best one a mean wife
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right now, I use a Glock 20 for all roles, but soon it'll be the Glock 20 for home defense and a Glock 29 for CCW when I can conceal it and a Kel-tec .380 when I can't...

10mm all the way baby!
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    for ccw i carry my hk usp 9mm we'll for home defense we'll that is a suprise if ya get past my dog

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    SEMPER FI
  • lmfischerlmfischer Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Home defense is a 12 gauge pump (that my mean wife can handle admirably), a SureFire M6 and ADT. For personal defense I carry either a Sig 232 or 239 (.40 S&W).

"No matter how good you are at something, there's always about a million people better than you." - Homer Simpson
  • bmbuzlrbmbuzlr Member Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    flying clay disk: You should just go hide in your closet and call the police and not get involved!

What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith,1787.

"They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

If God didn't want us to eat animals, then he wouldn't have made them out of meat.
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    personal defen(s)e, (de-fen(c)e is whats in your back yard,) is for when you are away from home. home defense is for defending your fort. when youre away from your home, pick a gun that is concealible, has quick access, and, easy operation. high caps and power are not needed. that stuff is for tactical (attacking) situations. when you are defending the home, make it powerful, have lots of ammo, and ensure all family members of age know how to use it, have it in key safe zone locations, and protect it from accidental use when not prepped for being on watch. caliber and gun choice comes next. dont confuse tactical and defense. theres a big difference in the design and cost of each catagory of gun.

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are the same, Ruger SP101 .357, except at home there are more deterent options and devices available.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.

Don't fly the river!
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since leaving LE world, if/when I carry it is only one piece and the particular one depends on situation and circumstances.

Home is another matter and let's leave it at there are multiple choices that are all ready to go[;)]

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!