In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

General Question about Internet Sales/Ettiquette

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I'm not a big seller of goods on the internet. Sometimes I have odds and ends or parts or whatever it is that I decide to sell.

If a seller ships within 48 hours of payment is that considered late?
What do most sellers do when a buyer sends a form of payment other than what was specified in the terms of the sale? I never hear chatter about buyers sending incorrect forms of payment.

Comments

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I state plainly in my auctions I ship the saturday following the day payment is recieved. The exception is personal or business checks. They are held until cleared up to 10 business days. Then the item is shipped on saturday. I usually ship the same day I recieve payment, I just give myself leeway for days when the post office has a line backed up out the door.

Woods

Hamlin.gif

rockin_lg_clr.gif
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I state my shipping turnaround time in the auction -- 48-72 hours, or upon confirmation of funds received at the bank. Buyers have expectations, so an auction that includes an explanation of your shipping routine is an excellent idea. The thing that is not okay is to deposit HIS money and then keep HIS item for a week or more before getting around to shipping it, without so much as feedback for completing his half of the bargain.

Buyers get nervous when they are fairly certain the seller should have received payment and nothing happens -- I know I do -- why wouldn't I? If I know what's going on I feel a lot better.

The accepted routine is to hold personal checks for 10 days to clear. If somebody sends the wrong form of payment you can either return it to them with a print-out of your auction highlighting the policy, or hold the check until it clears your bank and then send the item. It will cost you a stamp to return their wrong form of payment, but it's worth it sometimes. I don't feel sorry for folks who insist on sending personal checks because so many sellers don't take them that buyers should be reading auctions specifically for that. But I don't automatically ship the instant I receive a money order or even PayPal, since fraud is a game some people play nowadays. I wait until the bank is happy, which only takes a couple days. That's why the 72 hour window from receipt of funds.

And of course if you must return payment and re-post an auction you will want to ask the auction site for credit of their fee, which will require reporting the buyer for non-payment. So be sure you are in the right and your auction says what you think it says.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't consider shipping "late" until 7 days, of course I'm much happier when my Item is shipped in one to two days. I did once leave negative feedback (ON another auction Site NUNN) to the seller who shipped my item 18 days after I paid by paypal.
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by idsman75
    What do most sellers do when a buyer sends a form of payment other than what was specified in the terms of the sale? I never hear chatter about buyers sending incorrect forms of payment.

I would say it would all depend on the individual circumstances; it's something one has to decide as it occurs.

I sold a Porsche part on Fleabay for a few hundred dollars--I had minimal feedback (all from purchases, no sales) so the buyer was taking some risk buying from me. I specified a Postal Money order; the buyer sent me a "major brand" commercial MO. Since he had significant, recent positive feedback as a buyer (of other Porsche parts too) I "let it slide."

I mentioned it in an email to him, but not in his feedback and still gave him an A+ for the transaction. Unfortunately he never left me any feedback (I sent him one follow up email asking for some, but when he didn't respond, I didn't pursue it further). I thought that not leaving me feedback--especially since I was a new seller--was poor "internet auction etiquette."
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always (6 sales to date) tell the buyer I can only ship on Monday or Friday and email them with the tracking number as soon as I have it. I think the 5 days to make contact is a fair interval to allow for shipping once payment is secured by the seller.

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Experience is the best teacher and usually charges accordingly.

crawfordsville.gif
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just state your "typical" turnaround time in your listing, and reiterate it when you do the contact info exchange after the sale.

2470099-S.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!