In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Horsepower Question

capecodcapecod Member Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I don't know a heck of a lot about car engines. I purchased an Iszsu
LS 4 wheel drive last month and the book that came with it tells me it has a V6-3.2L Engine. Can anyone tell me how this translates into Horsepower? Thanks
John

My Prayer: Dear Lord, Please let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.........

Comments

• competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It doesn't "translate"!

"V6" describes the number of cylinders and the motor's "configuration"--the motor has 6 cylinders that are arranged in a "V" pattern.

The "3.2L" is the "size" of the motor-- 3.2 Liters is a volume measurement describing how much "total displacement" exists in the motor as the pistons move up and down in the cylinders.

The "V6-3.2L" tells you nothing directly about the power of your motor.

If this is a 2004 Isuzu Rodeo with the 3.2L motor, horsepower is:

205 Horsepower which is reached when the motor is running at a speed of 5400 rpm.

http://www.isuzu.com/rodeo_specs.jsp
  • capecodcapecod Member Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, you told me what I wanted to know - I'll also check out the website you gave me.
    Thanks again,
    John

My Prayer: Dear Lord, Please let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.........
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    205 hp @ 5400 rpm
    214 ft/lbs @ 3000 rpm
    There is no real way to figure out horsepower from engine displacement. There are just too many variables.
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    205hp + 214#torque + 4WD=SLOW![:D]
    You wont be passing very much of anything.
    Walte
  • capecodcapecod Member Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's OK - I'm in no hurry to get anywhere. Only had one ticket in my life and that was in New Hampshire during a snow storm many. many years ago at 3AM in the morning - I was cited for driving with an obstructed windshield.
    John
    PS: I was an LEO at the time but not in uniform and I didn't tell the officer - I knew I deserved the ticket! :)

• offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Having had a 320hp v-6 Supra (twin turbo) that could do 0-60 in 4 seconds, I know firsthand that horsepower varies wildly among engines regardless of size or number of cylinders. And it got as much as 22 mpg too. Unlike the muscle cars of old... [:D]

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by IAMACLONE_2

I beg to differ. We have a 95 Jeep Cherokee with 190 hp, and i believe 215 ft lbs, and that thing is quick, and the tires will be spinning in no time if you give it just a little bit too much gas... And besides, 4wd isnt engaged all of the time..

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by offeror
    Having had a 320hp v-6 Supra (twin turbo) that could do 0-60 in 4 seconds, I know firsthand that horsepower varies wildly among engines regardless of size or number of cylinders. And it got as much as 22 mpg too. Unlike the muscle cars of old... [:D]

Forced induction is a whole different story though. A Turbo DSM (Eclipse/Talon/Laser) with only a 2.0 liter engine, can put out over 300 horsepower, without touching the displacement of the engine. In fact, there was somebody, forgot his name, that was putting out about 600 hp out of the same engine, with stronger internals of course. Just force more air into the engine, at a faster rate, with massive turbos, and big enough fuel pumps to provide the increase in needed fuel, and quite a bit of power can be found out of a small engine.

banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    83Camero 468BBC 791hp 800#torque 115 Octane
    10 galons per mile! Yep per mile...
    0-60 1.4 seconds, 9.40 in Quarter
    Who needs stinking gas mileage!!
    Walte the stirrer..
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ruger270man
    quote:Originally posted by IAMACLONE_2

I beg to differ. We have a 95 Jeep Cherokee with 190 hp, and i believe 215 ft lbs, and that thing is quick, and the tires will be spinning in no time if you give it just a little bit too much gas... And besides, 4wd isnt engaged all of the time..

banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com

Depends on the weight of the vehicle. "quickness" is determined by weight to power ratio. And torque is more important than horsepower when it comes to accelleration. Horsepower is more important when it comes to top speed.

From85-01.jpgTosoftair-eagle.jpg
    And everything in between.