In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Making money against your beliefs...

ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Okay, scenario. Lets say that a movie was going to be made, and the production studio wanted you to be in it. Figure they are going to pay you 3 million for the movie.. Great right? Heres the catch. The movie is so blatantly anti-gun, and also goes against many of your other beliefs... I'm talking Bowling for Columbine type stuff, Runaway Jury type stuff, but with a plot. You even have a line in the movie that says "Guns are the tools of the devil."

So, $3 million, against your beliefs.. and its gonna be a huge box office smash too.. lots of people will see it... Would you do it?

My answer is definitely no, my beliefs with the RKBA are too strong.

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
banner-small.jpg
www.awbansunset.com

Comments

• tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd like to think that I'd tell them where to go..But think..they're gonna make the movie anyway, with or without you...Do it and give 1.5M to the pro gun causes??...I just don't know..[?]

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, unless you could turn around, and make a bigger impact in the opposite direction, using the money that you earned.. Its a toughy..
  • greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    playing devils advocate, follow this.

You take the part and the movie is a HUGE success. After the movie hits the streets you hold it up for what it is a sham, phoney as the dickens.

You were in the movie, your celebrity gives you an entree' to the press and a forum that you would otherwise NOT have.

I'd take the part, the money and then reveal it for the trash that it was!

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    Not that anyone would want to see my ugly mug in a movie,but if I were famous and wanted for the part I`d play it.Then when the talk shows called me up to be on there program to promote the movie I`d go on and tell them that I didn`t believe in the crap.It was just a part in a movie.Then ,right on tv to prove my point I`d donate the entire 3 million to progun causes.That would get some attention.
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    I would take the money and run.Movies are Movies.
    edited November -1
    Damn soopershot, thats an AWESOME idea... except maybe make it half of the 3. [:p][;)][^], also goes along with what greeker said.

banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    If I didn't,someone else would,so why not?

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everyday you look at yourself in the mirror, and with $3mil you could buy a really large mirror ... so I guess it's a matter of liking what you see ... you and all of the cash stacked around you[:D]

2470099-S.jpg
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I did it, I would play the character truthfully -- like a looney left paranoid nut case -- and take their money.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Make the movie, get even more famous..

Spend the $3Mill to build a (beeeeeep) big Shooting Gallery including a gunstore and a workshop.
    $3Mill should stretch a whole lot.. but I don't know.

Promote the Shooting gallery/Range through small TV-commercials in a Pro-Gun fashion, i.e. indirectly let the audience know that you're Pro-Gun and the movie was just a part of a whole movie.

Effectively just being a means to an end - a pathway to a Shooting Gallery/Range.

polarbear.gif
    Don't do anything that I've allready done - That'd be just plain STOOOOOOPID.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by William81
    My beliefs are not for sale..............

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberals....

X-ring!!!!!!

Mine aren't either

Woods

Hamlin.gif

rockin_lg_clr.gif
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    As tempting as it would be, I would not prostitute my beliefs.

What if the part demanded that you worship an idol, or make a speech against America, or cheated on your wife??

Same answer - NO!

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guns are the work of the Devil!!!

Now would somebody please pay up[?]

Who cares about a role in a movie. The Bruce Dern Characters were the worst guys in the world and he is a descent person. Do you guys really think people are the characters they portray?

Heck I would say it for $1000 and then go and buy another rifle![;)]

Sincerely, Lucifer [}:)]

Mad Dog
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Maybe for 3.5 million. But not 3...

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is as much truth in Saving Private Ryan as in a Bugs Bunny cartoon. Every movie panders to audience belief; that is why the roadrunner always outwits the coyote, why heroes always either survive the odds or die a tragic death. But the presumption that what one views on the screen is in any way a presentation of truth is ridiculous; it is a vision of truth devised by screenwriters and directors and producers with a bottom line and an axe to grind, one way or the other. Watch Orca and Free Willy back-to-back and you begin to get the idea; not surprisingly, sympathies are withheld or engendered based solely on presentation. But do our beliefs make either presentation true?

Therefore, to speak of going against one's beliefs when it comes to making movies shows a complete lack of understanding of what movies are: Entertainment. And the fact that they are entertainment does not change even if we choose to elevate them into the realms of reality and truth. That is why a pro-gunner looking at Bowling For Columbine can say, "I think not!", and the anti-gunner sitting in the seat behind can say with equal conviction, "I thought so!". If it is only a matter of belief, what do movies really matter? Will Michael Moore ever convince you that he is right? Will you ever convince Michael Moore that he is wrong? The whole idea is to sell tickets and popcorn. Get over it.
    edited November -1
    hey dws, you dont think movies have an effect on people, and their political beliefs? When I think of how stupid the majority of people in the world are today, I tend to believe that they have to be influenced by something as simple as a movie.

banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    Well if Tom Selleck kissed a man for money in a movie....

I'd take the 3 million and invest it in assault weapons, make free public speeches that I'm pro-gun and the script for the movie was written by some suburban soccer mom whom shouldn't have a gun anyways.

Claim all my speeches as charity for income tax filing, a 1.5 Million line item for charity donations for the year.

kabalogoshadowed.gif
  • schotzi1schotzi1 Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not interested.....Legal gun owners have enough to worry about. And I agree with RUGER270MAN. I think there are enough IDIOTS today that believe what is in the movie and make up their pee brain mind on what they see on the big screen.

But you other people have a GREAT thinking point.....take the money and spend some for the gun guys.

Be responsible
    Be intelligent
    Be REPUBLICAN
  • DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ruger270man
    hey dws, you dont think movies have an effect on people, and their political beliefs? When I think of how stupid the majority of people in the world are today, I tend to believe that they have to be influenced by something as simple as a movie.

Absolutely. And that influence obtains whether the message contained is a conservative or liberal one. The point, however, is that viewer agreement or disagreement with the message is not the criterion upon which good movies are judged. Neither does truth enter into it; I can view Sands of Iwo Jima and Born on the Fourth of July with equal conviction (or disbelief), and this despite their messages being diametrically opposed. What I am saying is that if Bowling For Columbine was rewritten and reshot with you as director to convey a pro-gun message, it would be no more true and still suck as a movie as much as the original, all other things remaining equal. That people allow themselves to be influenced by a movie one way or the other says more about them than the movie itself; and just as you were not convinced by Michael Moore's vision of reality, neither will other viewers be convinced by yours, no matter how objective and truthful your presentation. As this relates to your original post, it really doesn't matter what your beliefs are or what your message is, a good movie will have influence that a bad one will not; to make a bad movie that nobody sees or nobody agrees with will have little influence, even if your message is just. Hence my remark about selling tickets and popcorn. This is not to say that you cannot also make a smash hit that presents your personal beliefs; it is to say that your personal beliefs are only incidental to it being a smash hit.
  • ozwynozwyn Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would rather have to live lean and with my values than prostitute my few remaining morals for money.

3 million is not enough to make me adopt the hypocrisy of those who think the rich get private armed guards and the poor get to be victims while they wait for law enforcement. This is IMO the essential truth of the hollywood gun control culture, and I would not support their position for any amount of money.

Money does not buy virtue or honor.

that's my .02, nutty or otherwise
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    People for the most part are lazy. They don't want to invest the time into reading and researching to find the truth about anything. They'd rather have it laid out in an audio-visual wide screen format where they can sit in a semi-comfortable semi- recliner and look upon beautiful people re-creating fictitious events from the mind of a demented screenwriter as adapted from a book by an equally demented author and assembled for mass consumption by a self-appointed demi-god of a director. The studio will of course have flown in expert advisers who they put up in a beachfront house in Malibu loaded down with cocaine ,liquor and a bevy of bikini clad wannabe starletts, to lend the whole farce an air of authenticity.The only thing more slanted or less akin to reality is the six o:clock news.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigdaddyjunior
    They'd rather have it laid out in an audio-visual wide screen format where they can sit in a semi-comfortable semi- recliner and look upon beautiful people re-creating fictitious events from the mind of a demented screenwriter as adapted from a book by an equally demented author and assembled for mass consumption by a self-appointed demi-god of a director.

LOL! [:D] Thats great.

banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Thank you. I've been studying with the Dances With Sheep correspondence course. It is begining to pay for itself in self-induced maniacal laughter. Supposed to make you live longer and appreciate the two million uses of the humble spud.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd make the movie and use the bully pulpit to promote the cause of righteousness. The propaganda machine will churn whether or not a particular individual is in any given role. Taking the money and then using the notoriety to undermine the propaganda seems to me (speaking solely for myself) to be both an elegant, extremely satisfying, irony and far more effective than sitting in the shadows as a matter of principle. To turn the premise against the originators, using their own money, is the application of judo in a larger arena and would allow me to promote those values more effectively than if I did it on my own. The sole problem is that as soon as an actor (entertainer, as DWS has noted) takes a position not in keeping with the PC standards of the entertainment business, those talk show slots and tabloid interviews would disappear faster than a politician's promises. It would have to be planned very carefully for maximum impact . . . but I stil think it could be done in such a way that more damage to the hoplophobes' cause would at the very least offset the propaganda value of the film. It might even make some people think.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)
  • Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you don't make the movie someone else will and you are out 3 mil. It is only a movie. Would you play Ghengis Kahn (John Wayne did)? Ghengis was a bad man, is that seeling out your beliefs?

Now if your asking if I would be a national spokesperson on something I felt strongly about. My answer would be NO!!!

Acting and representing are two different things to me.

Mad Dog
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    I guess I'm a prostitute. I'd take the money.[;)]

From85-01.jpgTosoftair-eagle.jpg
    And everything in between.gun.gif