In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

switchblade legality??

woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
About a year and a half ago or so we had a thread going about switchblades. On that thread there was a link to a site that had all the various state laws. Anybody got that link?

Woods

Hamlin.gif

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Dont know about the states laws, but Federal law dictates that you cannot offer for sale, transport, mail, or without special license possess switchblade knives, some states allow non stabbing type blade (automatic knives). Stiletto type blades are still illegal.

I have special papers to mail Antique switchblades back to collectors when I have repaired them. otherwise I couldnt send them through the mail..

Most states have relaxed the laws on knives.

They sell em here in florida but if you get caught with one in your pocket ya might get a concealed weapons charge..

Try this link.
    http://www.customknifes.com/SwitchbladeLaws.html

flageagle.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    Most states have specific prohibitions on gravity knives, switchblade knives, pilum ballistic knives, and cane swords.

Those 4 are the ones that are usually banned damn near everywhere.

army_slblu.jpgpv2.gifInsignia_in.jpgairborne%20wings-2.jpgtogcrest.gif
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In PA a One Armed Person is allowed to have them.

The Vendors at the FL Gun Shows tell me they are legal here in FL, but then again they are selling them. Plenty of switch blades down here.

I wouldn't trust one in my pocket.
    I have to much to lose! [:D] [:D] [8D]

Jacksonville.gif
    sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
    edited November -1
    Rugerniner, the knives for sale at the shows and markets are not considered switch blades, They are Automatic, or spring assisted. Just one way to get around the federal law. I can still buy the Italian stiletto style knives direct from italy, but they come with the spring not installed, otherwise they couldnt legally get into the country..

Some Ubertus knives from Germany, the kind with the lever button also arrive with the springs not installed.

The ones that the law is really concerned is the STABBING blades with no real cutting edge just a fine tapered blade with a very sharp point..

flageagle.gif

Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    Florida weapons statute

Sections relevant to KNIVES.

790.225 Self-propelled knives; unlawful to manufacture, sell, or possess; forfeiture; penalty.--

(1) It is unlawful for any person to manufacture, display, sell, own, possess, or use a self-propelled knife which is a device that propels a knifelike blade as a projectile by means of a coil spring, elastic material, or compressed gas. A self-propelled knife is declared to be a dangerous or deadly weapon and a contraband item. It shall be subject to seizure and shall be disposed of as provided in s. 790.08(1) and (6).

(2) This section shall not apply to any device which propels an arrow, a bolt, or a dart by means of any common bow, compound bow, crossbow, or underwater spear gun.

(3) Any person violating the provisions of subsection (1) is guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

" Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession.
    I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first".
    (Ronald Reagan)
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know they aren't legal here in NY with the spring installed. I'd still like to have one just for the novelty of having one. It would probably never leave the gunsafe.

Seeing we have decided to move to another state, I'd kind of like to know the laws.

Woods

Hamlin.gif
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had a couple. Now I wonder why. THEY ARE JUST KNIVES.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    I do know that in VA they are legal for a one armed person to carry and that they are legal for anyone to possess but not to carry this includes the automatics and gravity styles. Contrary to popular belief,according to the AGs office, there is NO exeption for LEOs.

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    22WRF;
    That sounds like a Blade that actually leaves the knife handle altogether.

Jacksonville.gif
    sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    Niner
    It's ambigious the way it's written.
    I don't want to be the one to test it in court and establish case law.

" Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession.
    I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first".
    (Ronald Reagan)
  • hdwrenchhdwrench Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    woods , did you get my email about the newspapers ?

wrench .
    edited November -1
    HEY WOODS! what kinda switchblade do ya want? I can legally mail ya one from here, I can get automatic knives from 2 bucks up to a couple hundred, A real Italian one with stag handles would cost around 150.00 and a Ubertus depending on size around 50 to 200 bucks. Then there are the Double ended antique switch blades that go for around 250 bucks,

Email us and I will see what I can find for ya..

flageagle.gif

Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • wideglidewideglide Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I am a resident of Ky., and to the best of my knowledge if you have a cwp, you can carry anything you want to use as a weapon.

vj
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A year ago, in Key West, I picked up a switch in the old Italian stilletto style. They are all over in shops there. They ask $40 to $80, but make an offer, and you can usually strike a deal. Keep in mind that KW is a strange sort of place where lotsa stuff is overlooked. Love the town,...great place to visit,...but wouldn't want to live in the zoo...

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    What the heck difference does it make how the blade opens? You can't stabb a person if you open it with your fingers? I can hear it now; "Was he stabbed with a switchblade knife?, No?, he should be O.K. then!"
    If it goes off in your pocket then that's your problem, not the governments! Stupid policies from stupid lawmakers.
  • wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,067
    edited November -1
    22WRF
    The statute you quote is in regards to ballistic knive that shoot the blade out as a projectile. It came about because of an influx of USSR Spetsnaz combat knives and copies a few years ago. They look like a bayonet but you press a lever and the blade shoots across the room like a spear.

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: And he that hath no sword,let him sell his garment, and buy one
  • WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stores sell them up here in AK not sure if they are legal or not.
    Legal in Oregon where Benchmade makes them GOOD knives.
    Why even bother with newwer knives you can open them just about as fast one handed and I like the KISS phlosophy why bother with more moving parts and springs than you need for that matter

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it.
    I know the spelling is bad but guess what I DON'T CARE
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Legal to own one in Texas, but you cannot carry it off your property. They are purchased as C&R's.

The way I undertand Federal law, it is illegal to ship switchblades accross state lines.

It is legal for a one armed man to own a switchblade of under 3 inches. This applies only to Federal Land.

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    Carrying an automatic here in Kansas is considered an illegal concealed weapon. Same charge as carrying a concealed handgun. Although you still see a lot of them for sale at gunshows. I have carried an automatic for 10 years with nary a problem.

The original point and click interface was a Smith and Wesson.