In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Free antique rifle!

kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I was going through some repossesed cars today and clearing out the unclaimed property (what the mechanics don't steal[:(!]) and guess what I found!?! A #111 model 40 pre WWII Daisy Red Ryder lever action BB rifle! Its in pretty decent shape considering, its all there, and it still works! I am pumped![:p] Coolest thing to happen to me all week.[:D] I found a restored one on eBay at $155 w/o the reserve met and still days to go in the auction. Does anyone here know more about these old air rifles?

James

Whats next? A ban on automatic transmissions?

Comments

• bluegoose11bluegoose11 Member Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do know that bb gun belonged to someone. If someone doesn't keep up on there car payments I have no problem with the company's repossessing the car I have a big problem with the repossessors stealing the personal contents out of the car instead of returning the property to the righful owners and the owners not being able to do anything about getting their property back
  • kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Calm down Bluegoose, We contact the owner and inform them of what they need to do to reclaim their cars, and also that they may reclaim their property. We hold the property (sometimes in the vehicle, sometimes in boxes) then either return it to them with the vehicle, return it alone, or dispose of it if they never claim it. In this case the car is going to auction tomorrow and the property was going into the dumpster. If I hadn't been there a great antique would have been lost, and as it turns out its the same type my father had when he was just a little older than my son is now. I am not a thief and resent that implication if thats what you intended your post as. I was simply happy for my good fortune and wanted to share with the GB family. People who don't pay their bills lose their stuff, thats life and they bring it upon themselves. I do a sometimes dangerous job and will accept an honest perk.

James

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,511 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will put your eye out!
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the warning Allen.

Sorry guys, I just figured the "unclaimed" would show the situation and remove the underhanded aura around repossesed cars. I deal with last chance credit people who are usually pros at skipping. We get a lot of the cars back from police impound, often covered with print dust. I hunted down one (I just hunt them, I don't take 'em) who removed two wheels every night when he parked thinking we wouldn't get the car. Silly people. Just pay your bills.

James

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,511 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kuhlewulf that is a joke from the move "A Christmas Story"
    The movie is about a kid whose only Christmas wish is for a Red Ryder BB gun. His parents say, No way, it will put your eye out. His friends Mom says No it will put your eye out. Santa says, No it will put your eye out.
    It is a good movie, and the whole movie is about this one reason that the kid can't get a Red Ryder.
  • ItGoBangItGoBang Member Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't you need to keep personal property from the cars for a certain time? Most states have laws about that and what you need to do to contact the owner.

It will hurt you, More than it will hurt me..

Life Member... NRA & Friends of the NRA
    American Legion, MECU, MWCA, SMSC, NASDS
    Thanks for all the help!
  • kriskris Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    any impound where i live is required to do an inventory of all personal property as well as all equipment installed on the vehicle..if a repo has been taken and the owner notified by the lein holder..it is the duty of the person that had the car repoed to make arangments to satisfy the loan and/or pick up any personal property that may have been left inside..otherwise it is considered abandoned and either disposed off or auctioned off...it follows the same laws regarding the auctions of personal property in upaid storage units.

it is good that we meet in the struggle of life or death.. .....it shall be life!
  • rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am with kuhlewulf all the way. Down with the liberals and do-gooders who jump the the conclusion that the repo man has to be wrong.
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I love that movie. Especially the leg lamp and the Chinese Christmas duck.

Yes, we have to hold the cars for a certain period of time, and the owners are advised of all their rights by the account collector including the rights as far as personal property. The mechanics that check in the vehicles are just thieves, I just get to throw away whats left after the claim period is over and the car is going to auction. Usually never anything left but trash, drug paraphernalia, and broken things.

BUT, does anyone profess any detailed knowledge of the Daisy airguns?

James

• bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    I used to buy and sell cars for some extra money. You would be amazed at what people leave in a car when they sell it.

The original point and click interface was a Smith and Wesson.