In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Slaughterville Asked to Change Name

RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
PETA wants Town to change their Name.
Can they get anymore ABSURD.

Slaughterville Asked to Change Name to Veggieville

In the 1800s, when Jim Slaughter opened his grocery store in rural Oklahoma, just south of Norman on a bend in the road that was to become Highway 77, he had no idea that more than 100 years later, his name would be used to define the area. In 1970, local residents, determined to keep the area rural and alarmed at the prospect of being incorporated into the rapidly-growing city of Norman, preserved their independent status by incorporating their own town.

They named the town Slaughterville because the name was already included as Slaughter's Corner on many maps of the state, and the founders felt that an easy-to-recognize name would help to identify the town. According to the current town manager, Slaughterville has struggled ever since to overcome "the stigma of an unusual name."

Not only is Slaughterville an unusual name, it is also a name that calls to mind the violence of the meat industry and serial killers.

Slaughterhouses are among the most violent places on Earth. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture and former slaughterhouse workers, cattle routinely have their limbs hacked off and their skin ripped from their bodies while fully conscious-they are literally dismembered while alive. Pigs are routinely drowned in tanks of scalding-hot water designed for hair removal. And chickens have it worst of all: Their frail legs are snapped into metal shackles, their throats are slit open, and they are scalded to death in feather-removal tanks, and they, too, are often fully conscious throughout the process.

PETA is sure that the good people of Slaughterville are a kind and compassionate bunch, and we hope that they will not be afraid to change their town's name to reflect their compassion.

That's why we're asking the town of Slaughterville to change its name to Veggieville. We'll even throw in $20,000 worth of healthy veggie burgers for the local school district to celebrate the change. Veggie burgers, which are friendly to humans and animals, are high in protein, high in fiber, low in fat, and contain zero cholesterol or animal suffering-a great way to feed Veggieville's kids!

And there's no chance of getting mad cow disease from a veggie burger.

Jacksonville.gif
sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
http://www.awbansunset.com/
Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.

Comments

• soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    Killville has a better ring to it.Don`t cha think?
  • RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just looked in the Phone book and there are a few people named "Slaughter." Maybe these should be changed to "VeggieHead" and the Phone Book should have a note inserted where they were listed before, advising you to "Look in the "V's" under VeggieHead"............

"Holy Freakin' Tomatoes!" Time to stand up and say this "PC Crap is BS!" ... My 2 cents!!

I Miss The World I Grew Up In!
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was on the news here... The funny part is thier offer of donating veggie burgers to the school - they don't have a school!

Every time I hear a peta stunt like this I want to go out and shoot 10 more things just to spite them! [:(!]

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • danlittledanlittle Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, have you guys ever been there ???
    My X-father-in-law owned the bar there for quite some time.
    when you go thru dont blink, You would think peta would have better things to worry about.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think so dan... I go to Norman all the time, but I don't venture much off the highways when I'm in that area.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • danlittledanlittle Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You dont have to venture off the highway, the bar is on the left as you are going south, only building on the left. stop in sometime, they had cold beer , hot food, pool table, ect.
    pretty nice country setting.
    keep in mind that its been 14 years since I was connected & her dad sold the bar a couple three years after we split.
    Dan