In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.45 or 9mm?

frankcastle13frankcastle13 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2005 in General Discussion
Which bullet packs more of a punch? .45 or 9mm? I feel stupid asking. I want to get a glock and I was just wondering which has more power.

Comments

• Options
    knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    glock schmlock

Bad spellers of the world

"UNTIE!"
  • Options
    young n dumyoung n dum Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .45 230grns moving slow
    9mm 115 grns going fast

how about the all perfect .40 185grns going fast!

He has no idea the can of worms he just opened did he[:D]

imay not know it all.....but at least I know that!
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    If you are looking for real * rending power, go .22

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • Options
    frankcastle13frankcastle13 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    get a .45 or a .40
    granted the 9mm is cheap to shoot
    the .45 is a sledge hammer compaired to the 9mm

Lt.RRG

"Go over,go under,go around,or go through.But never give up."
  • Options
    dano1dano1 Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok Ill "bite" -

A 45 packs more "punch"

Forget the 9 mm and get a 40 or a 45 or both.

Oh yeah Ill take the whole "hook" and answer "what is grns?" also. It stands for grains, the weight unit that bullets and powder are measured in.
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    The 10mm does. [8D]

Greg
    Former Marine
    A N G L I C O
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    grn= grain = 1/7000th of a pound

9mm is a great round............for a SMG. Get a 40 or a 45.

PS: or a 10mm

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    Only get a 10mm if you want your eardrums to bleed if you ever have to use it for real. Get a .45acp.

annoyaliberal.jpgnotmyfault.gif
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Amen Rich, them suckers are LOUD! A .45 ain't quiet but it ain't nearly as loud as the 10mm. The .45 is just loud enough that you only hear the first half of the gunshot[;)]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • Options
    groovinmonkeygroovinmonkey Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    get the .45 you'll be much more satisfied when you shoot at 2x4's and see them split in half[;)], .45's are much funner to shoot.

Monkey says:
    crowded elevator smells different to a midget
  • Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    A "grain" is the preferred weight measure.

1 gr = 1 gr of ... rye? wheat?

So you plow a bigger cornbread at them, they be happy to have more food.
  • Options
    RedneckRedneck Member Posts: 551 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do what I do pack a S&w 500 blows the hell out of everything[:D]

Long live General Lee
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote: much more satisfied when you shoot at 2x4's and see them split in half
    Don't hold back. Tell him about making toothpicks out of them [:D]
  • Options
    tatercatstatercats Member Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    carry the 45, practice with the 9mm

tater
  • Options
    Jake_S-83Jake_S-83 Member Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    how about get one of each. or two of each...
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ah yes...a 9mm Glock. The WORST of both worlds.
    It seems to me that one of our "newbies" asked for UNBIASED opinions not long ago.
    If he's watching...here's a glaring example.
    [;)][:0][:o)]

But to answer your question (of course, in an unbiased way)
    BUY THE FIRST GUN YOU SEE THAT HAS
    COLT AND .45ACP ON IT!

Mudge the unbiased

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!<BR>
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GLAWWK?

picture.JPG

Whenever I see a cow eat grass, I am reminded that "This too shall pass."............ Baxter Black
    picture.GIF
    picture.JPG
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jsergovic:

You don't say much but you speak volumes. Amen brother.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Special Forces uses .45's...when they have a choice over the empty suits in the office.
    That is good enough for me.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    big hole is better IMHO [:D]
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First and foremost buy a firearm that feels good in your hands. I prefer a 1911 style .45 over all others, it fits my hand and is comfortable for me to shoot.

I however do not feel undergunned with a Glock 19 in 9mm or a Glock 23 in .40.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberals....
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .45 ACP drops the sledge while the 9mm packs 15/17 rounds so it makes up in volume. If I could carry (feel bad for me I'm in CA) I'd carry my S&W 1076 (9+1 of 10mm) one of the nicest in hand (for me anyhow).
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    carson0384carson0384 Member Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bought A Taurus .45 and a few years back owned a Taurus .40 In my opinion, i would go for the .40 It just seemed like a good feel when shooting.
  • Options
    jthoresenjthoresen Member Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If possible go to a range that rents handguns, shoot both, and this will sum it up. Pick the one you feel most comfortable and proficient with.
  • Options
    sc077ysc077y Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well, if its going to be your first hand gun, then i would go with a 9mm. good magazine capacity, and typically cheaper than a .45, i would probably search for a used glock 19 or 17, or a used xd 4" by springfield arms.

why 9mm?

9mm is a lot less of a load when shooting compared to a .45, so recoil wont dampen you shot as much. also, the 9mm ammo cost is extrememly low. for 14 bucks i can buy 50 rounds of speer lawman for my .45, or i can by 100 rounds for my 9mm. since its your first gun, you WILL need a lot of practice, so i think the 9mm makes the most sence.

as far as getting a used firearm, assuming this is your first firearm, its probably gonna take a beating, and it really isnt worth it to purchase a brand new glock or XD until you REALLY know what you want. if you love the 9mm, and decide you want a better 9mm, the sig p-228 is just around the corner, or if you want to go with a .45, then that fancy kimber would be better in your hands after you have had some experiance with something a hell of a lot more durable.

used glock 19 in this area runs for around 450 give or take depending on condition. a new one is around 575-600.

for the abuse your pistol is about to get, i probably would stay with a glock. those things can get the poop beaten out of them and they dont care.

as an aside note, a friend of mine has a glock 22 in .40, and he has never cleaned it. just puts a little oil on the rail and on top of the barrell. he wants to know how many rounds it will shoot before it dies. i think its up to 3000 now without a good cleaning.

i wish i had the money he does to throw away a glock like that...

"Sic Vic Pacem Parabellum"
    "Exitus Acta Probat"
  • Options
    glynglyn Member Posts: 5,949
    edited November -1
    definitely a 45 over a 9mm.Had a case in the county where I live wnere a pitbull was run over by a car.Policeman came along saw that it in pain so he put a 9mm into the front of its head.Animal control came along stuck in a black plastic bag took it to the nearest vets where it was place in there cold room to be disposed of later.Vrt came in next day opened the cold room door and found a black bin liner standing there wagging its tail.Apparently the 9mm round had entered the front of the skull gone around the brain and exited at the back.That cetainly would not have happend with a 45 os 40 cal.

Those who live by the sword will be killed by those who dont. Glyn
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sc077y
    as an aside note, a friend of mine has a glock 22 in .40, and he has never cleaned it. just puts a little oil on the rail and on top of the barrell. he wants to know how many rounds it will shoot before it dies. i think its up to 3000 now without a good cleaning.

i wish i had the money he does to throw away a glock like that...

I second all of the above with respect to the 9mm (vs .45). Hot loaded 9mm +P is plenty good for self-defense, and much cheaper and easier to shoot the other 99.99% of the time when you aren't shooting a person with it!

In terms of the Glock, I know a guy who claims he has put more than 15,000 rounds through his 9mm Glock 17 without cleaning it once. Strangely, I believe him! I think he joked that when it finally locks up, he'll just put it in his dishwasher.

The thing isn't going to "die" for lack of cleaning. At worst it will lose accuracy, and start to gum up for less reliable feeding and firing. At which point, you simply clean it!
  • Options
    chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm in agreement with the 10mm fans. You want power AND hi-cap, in a reliable platform? EAA Witness, 10mm, 15rd mag. Each round packs more energy than a .45 ACP (though not as much bullet mass, true), yet there's almost twice as many. More shootin' power in the palm of your hand than just about anywhere else. Yet, it's inexpensive, durable, and of a normal size (unlike, say, a Desert Eagle or S&W 500).

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    ~Sinclair Lewis, It Can't Happen Here

"Our enemies...never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
    ~President George W. Bush
  • Options
    ginmasterginmaster Member Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just in case you haven't gotten the message.

[8D]

Good luck out there.
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    You're getting this for personal protection right?

If so then get somebody to loan you a .45 and a 10mm and shoot 5 rounds from each one without earplugs in the dusk hours with low light. Then make your choice.

(I suggest you shoot the .45acp first)

annoyaliberal.jpgnotmyfault.gif
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's been a while since I read the labels on specs on 10mm but from what I recall they weren't loaded to the days of "full load" of Cooper's Norma (Cooper the man and Norma the manufacture). A bit higher than the .40S&W (if I recall correctly). But I did veer off the question of 9mm or .45 ACP so I'd go with .45 in a Commander lenth with a Bull Barrel.

Full load 10mm does have a pretty flame throwing effect at dusk.
  • Options
    meunkemeunke Member Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh dear God, not this again...

"Sometimes love makes you selfish. Sometimes it just makes you stupid. Sometimes it reminds you why you love your gun."
    - Anita Black