In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question for everyone about pistol grip safety's?

joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
edited October 2005 in General Discussion
Are they practical or not. Its the thing under the hammer gaurd on the back side of the grip for some of the people that don't know waht i mean by grip safety's. Seems now that any pistol u buy has this feature one them. for me i would like just the trigger safety even though i don't think it is practical either. Just want to know what some of ya'll think about these safety's even though some have been around for a while.

no more no more no more no more

Comments

• Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    I don't really see all that many new pistols with this safety.
    Of course the 1911 style handguns use this and since they are the most popular now and for the last ten years it may seem like alot of handguns use this type safety.
    The HK P7 uses a front cocker on the grip frame.
    Which other handguns beside the 1911 style uses this type safety?

ALL AMERICAN INFIDEL
  • Options
    joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it maybe just the 1911 but still why it seems unpractical to me

no more no more no more no more
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is the reason (grip safety) that I do not own a 1911 style handgun.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    I hate it. It makes it more difficult for me to fire my 1911 with my toes. Of course, so does wearing high-heels.
    Smileychangesexpression.gif
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Springfield XD (which is actually from Croatia) is a recent design Glock-like plastic framed pistol that uses a grip safety.

Its just another way of ensuring that the gun can't go off if dropped, or not properly held.

One potential advantage is that it means those with small hands (ie little kids) can't really fire the gun since they can't get a proper grasp.
  • Options
    mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I like the feel of a beavertail grip safety on a 1911, I think the function of it is useless (as do many other competitive shooters). My problem with them is that if I get a nice high grip on a 1911, sometimes the web of my thumb won't push the grip safety in far enough to disengage it. One solution is to alter the grip safety "arm" so that the slightest contact will disengage it. Others have either sawed the "arm" off entirely or or installed a set screw to pin the grip safety in the disengaged position.
  • Options
    ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont like any external safeties on a pistol.

my safeties are my brain and my finger

sniper.gifhappy.gifanim_sniper.gif

"I will no longer debate a liberal because I feel they are beneath contempt. Just communicating with one contaminates a person." - whiteclouder
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Grip safeties are one of the reasons I hate 1911 pistols.

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    notdownoroutnotdownorout Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 8 Ballester Rigaud/Molina 1911's. They were made without the grip safety. I am sure at that time it was removed for cost reasons and not for ease of operation.

I would tell you how I like them without the grip safety, but I would be lying. I have yet to shoot any of them.[:0]
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    Don't like the 1911? BLASPHEMY!!! [:D][:p]

I don't even notice the grip safety on my many 1911's. It takes a nil amount of pressure to activate it. But the reason it exists is because the triggers on 1911's are pretty light. If it wasn't there and you dropped it and it hit handle first it is possible to set it off.

I've done a few drop experiments with a couple 1911's of mine, one with the grip safety installed and one without it installed. Without the grip safety the gun fired itself off when it landed on the back strap more often than not. So from my limited knowledge I assume that is why it was put there in the first place and I leave it alone. [:D]

edited November -1
    Mine is pinned.

• Options
    young n dumyoung n dum Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my xd has one.....I have no problem with it when shooting and like the fact there's anotheer thing ensuring it won't go off if dropped/handled

To all the liberals.....bite me!
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,018 ******
    edited November -1
    My SIG P229 doesn't have one and doesn't need one.

My Colt Commander has one and doesn't need one.

Years ago, pinning the safety down was a popular option offered by pistolsmiths, and many handy shooters simply did it themselves. Nowadays, the custom builders offer a safety with a bit more material on it for a more positive purchase. No one will pin down a safety anymore out of fear of liability.

If I am ever in a position to start carrying the Commander daily, I will probably pin the safety down.

The grip safety is a useless affectation that was insisted upon by the Army. It had something to do with the Cavalry and horses, but I don't remember all the details. Notice that John Browning did not use a grip safety on his next great pistol, the Hi-Power. He did, however, incorporate a magazine disconnect, which is more useless than a grip safety.

FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    I cannot imagine life without grip safeties.

My mission is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I find it hard to bump my 1911's because of that grip safety. [:o)]

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg
  • Options
    mowartmowart Member Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMHO Doesn't hurt, might help.
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]--Whats wrong with SAFETY-SAFETY-SAFETY??-JIMBO

I'm only wearing Black untill they make something darker
  • Options
    SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had an AMT 380 Backup with a grip safety.

I've seen other copies without the grip safety.

Speaking of grip safeties, the only use I can see for the extended "beavertail" grip safety is to use it to rake across an opponents' face or poke him in the eye when you are out of ammo.
  • Options
    meunkemeunke Member Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The whole idea seems dumb to me. I think FN and Mr. Browning decided it wasn't needed anyway either (it's not on the Hi Power).

There are some people I've talked to that talk about how many safety levels they want on a pistol... but then these same people generally have no problem with an old double action revolver or a Peacemaker which have.... (drum roll please) NO MECHANICAL SAFETIES!!!

I think if you just keep your finger off the trigger and don't point it at stuff you don't intend to shoot, you'll probably be ok.

"The fact is that when politics want to bring redemption, they promise too much. When they presume to do God's work, they do not become divine but diabolical."
    - Cardinal Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict XVI