In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rock Island 1911's?

groovinmonkeygroovinmonkey Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2005 in General Discussion
Are they any good? I was told to ask that question here in hopes I would get more input.

Monkey fact for the day:
Man who go to bed with itchy butt, wake up with stinky finger!!

Comments

• Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know anyone that owns one. I just know what has been said about them. I haven't done my own research so this is just the rumor mill. Take it for what it's worth. I heard they are made from soft steel in the Phillpines.
  • Options
    Chockfull O NutsChockfull O Nuts Member Posts: 646 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are from the Phillipines. Don't know about the soft steel. I have heard maybe 10 reports from owners and 8 were positive, almost rave reviews. Two were negative with one saying that after some fit and finish work the gun worked fine and the other had to be exchanged (which the maker did) because it was too fouled up to work.

I am thinking about one to play with. I see them in the $350-$400 range so you have to expect to get what you pay for.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think I'd save up an extra $100-$200 and get a decent used Colt 1991A1
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine picked up a Rock Island frame to build up a custom .45. He picked up was a slightly used Colt slide that seemed to fit fine. He had trouble fitting some of the new custom parts like an ambi safety and slide release. He eventually decided to build the gun up as a mil-type 1911A1 with used surplus parts and it ended up working. I think the finished pistols they put together probably work OK, but overall the fit and finish is not quite ready for prime time. I'd say save your money and get a used Springfield.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs
    Bought one for myself for Christmas. Great gun, very reliable so far. I can't get it to jam! Have tried all sorts of different ammo types and it feeds them all.

Positives:
    Very Reliable will feed all types of ammo.
    Cheap.
    Reliable.
    Accurate.
    Lowered Ejection Port.

Negatives:
    Sights are tiny.
    Some hammer bite.
    Parkarizing is light, my belt buckle scratched the grip frame.
    The factory supplied mag (Novak style) works & ejects perfect other mags seem sticky ejecting out of mag well. I bought 4 more Novak style mags from CDNN at $10 each.

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg

As far as soft steel goes, WWII 1911's had some pretty soft steel on them. I'm also hearing rumors that the soft steel rumor is FOS.

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Someone bought them out?I want to say it was Kimber,if thats the case I would expect better quality from them.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • Options
    vikingsfaninmivikingsfaninmi Member Posts: 366 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out www.1911forum.com. Lot's of info there on RIA.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by vikingsfaninmi
    Check out www.1911forum.com. Lot's of info there on RIA.

Thanks alot! Now I have to add another forum to my addiction.

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Another fair priced 1911A1 is the S.A.M. Shooters Arms Manufacturers, also out of the Phillipines, I have one, and it is of good quality.. shoots great.
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Rock Islands are fine. I own one and it hasn't given me any trouble to date.

Sure, they're not fancy, but for the price they're pretty decent.
  • Options
    meunkemeunke Member Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rock Island review:

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/RIA.htm

"Sometimes love makes you selfish. Sometimes it just makes you stupid. Sometimes it reminds you why you love your gun."
    - Anita Black