In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

When you go target shooting, how many guns?

jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I like to shoot. Yesterday I took four handguns, and I'm still cleaning tonight.
I try to limit it to one or two per shoot, because I only have so much time to properly clean up afterwards.
What do you fellas do usually?

BTW, the force is almost "with me" since I took the sights off the Para and started concentrating on point-shooting. It was really exciting towards the end of 150 rounds to feel that inner voice say "lift the muzzle a hair higher" and see my target (50') get hit or a lethal near miss.

Comments

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was much younger, I loved to go to the frozen pond and play gunfighter by fast drawing and shooting targets on the ice. They would really slide when you hit. It seems the more I shot the more proficent I got at hitting targets while shooting from the hip. So I guess what I am saying is that I thinkk that the more you shoot, the gun becomes an extension of your arm and you do "feel the target".Don

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before going shooting this question is answered by the answers to three others. How many do I have ammo for? How many can I carry? How many can I clean before bedtime tonight? The answer is usually 3-7, the higher number represents trips when the .22's are taken.

Woods

Hamlin.gif

rockin_lg_clr.gif
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    I don't mind cleaning guns; usually I enjoy the process. but if I get backed up with other stuff, it nags in my head that my $200-$700 gun is sitting in the pouch with nitro or whatever caked on it, and someone said GET IT OFF AS SOON AS POSSIBLE like it might do damage. Still, when I get around to it, they clean up as good as new.

So, if I don't clean a gun for a week, am I compromising the wearable parts (springs?) my leaving the residue from shooting on them?

I shot my Buckmark until it started having feed problems. The guys at the shop laughed and said "you have to clean this thing once in a while".

I hear some guys say they clean as soon as they get home, but what is the real scoop on gun maintenance?
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think alot is hype. Cleaning guns is a lot like having to hold your woman after sex. She likes it, but is it really nessesary?[}:)][}:)]

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
    edited November -1
    So you're saying the black stuff won't dry on and eat into the stainless steel.
    I figured as much. It might be harder to clean, but... it ain't War of the Worlds...
    "Evil Nitro Menance claims yet another handgun mistakenly locked away before cleaning"

I'm getting cleaner and a little lube spray on the keyboard. And I bit*h at the wife when she doesn't wash her hands before using the computers I bought her. guess I better ease up.[:I][:I]
    And what exactly is the residue within a handgun from firing ammo?
  • schotzi1schotzi1 Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a fanatic! I start cleaning mine as I'm walking in the front door. I once stopped at my moms house to clean it cause I knew I wouldn't get home until late and wouldn't be able to do it till the next day.

GOD, I'm weird![:p]

Be responsible
    Be intelligent
    Be REPUBLICAN
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If we're talking handguns, I usually shoot between five and ten (maybe twelve) different guns. Shotguns, I'm really loyal to the one that's fitted to me, and every now and then I bring someone else and let them shoot my extra shotgun, if I shoot rifles it's usually just one or two rifles, maybe four max. So when do you what to get together to shoot some of my irons?

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    I take as many as I can shoot in the time period that I have! If Im shooting silhouettes at the club, I take the Henry 22, and the Marlin 44,and the old thudy thudy!!

I try to clean my guns after every use but I must confess that doesn't always happen! Especially the 22's and the .17, I rarely clean them!

Did I mention the A ss! chewing I got from G.H.D. when he found out I wasn't using a bore guide or a coated rod! Gee I never new the difference and Ma never seemed to complain!!![:p][^]

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

Kids that fish, hunt and trap have never mugged any old ladies!

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I usually just bring the one I'm messing with at that time. New one in need of sighting in or an old favorite that hadn't been shot in a while.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
    edited November -1
    Dave: I've been talking to Trap55 "Dixon Dave". Seems we are to have the same surgeon. Guess you heard about the incident with my knee.

I talked with the wife, and she doesn't want my "gun buddies" crashing on the floor. But there is plenty of room outside. I've a tent (for me*) and a good hammock. I suggest we plan a weekend and shoot and do what men do (drink and talk about guns and women and if I'm with plumbers, plumbing, but I'm into hearing exactly what you do with the Navy jets).

We have two full bathrooms, so there is no problem there. We can shoot all day, barbecue all night and toss them down until after the sun comes up. A few hours of sleep, and do it again.

* I'll probably steer clear of the wife for a day or so if we are going to do this thing right. She'll come out for a beer and some steak/chicken, but she can't stand to us regular types who know how to enjoy themselves for hours and stay standing.[:D]
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    It will usually be from 4-7 guns going to the bench! That allows time between groups for cooling when testing and usually a couple of them will be the BuckMark and the 22Magnum just to take up time and enjoy the noise while giving the others a break.
    And pabooger, the coated cleaning rods and the bore guides go too! That way all the loads are given the same chance to be good or bad!!! GHD
    edited November -1
    Midway has an adjustable bore guide on sale right now!!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

• IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    Don't know why, but allways take too many!
    Hate cleaning, but it has to be done.
    A true sickness...But what the well.
    Walte
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    Don't know why, but allways take too many!
    Hate cleaning, but it has to be done.
    A true sickness...But what the well.
    Walte
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Usually only a couple. Once in a while my son and I and a bunch of friends and nieghbors get together and shoot a whole mess of em. We all get to shoot each others stuff. I usually clean mine when I get home.

"I AM MY OWN WORST ENEMY"
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    GUN'S, What guns I dont have any GUNS
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree. I have taken as many as 5 or 6 to allow a friend to try them out, but can be a pain afterward. I'd like to take them all every time, but I usually limit myself to 3 or 4, sometimes fewer if I'm seriously practicing.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Two,maybe three.Depends on the situation
    and how much time I have.

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DCON12 = I think alot is hype. Cleaning guns is a lot like having to hold your woman after sex. She likes it, but is it really nessesary?
    It is if you want either one to perform as well next time![;)][:p][:D]
    JSERGOVIC, I put a shell on my pickemup for my 2nd home, dog house is too small![:D]
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I try and shoot 2 or 3 times a week as the range is about a minute away. I usually pick three guns for the week and shoot on a weekday and then again Saturday morning with the same guns.

I don't clean them between visits, I usually clean them Sundays. Feel like a cheat just a little that way...

This week it was the Browning .22 rifle, the Ruger 22/45, and the HK Tactical .45. I usually take at least one .22 with me so I can plink all day if I feel like it...

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I try to limit myself to one truck load at a time.[:)]

picture.JPG

Whenever I see a cow eat grass, I am reminded that "This too shall pass."............ Baxter Black
    standard.jpg
  • Cyberdyne systemsCyberdyne systems Member Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I usually only bring two guns and plenty of ammo, I have more fun using two guns with all the ammo I need, better than bringing several guns and only shooting a little out of each gun. I like to bring one long range rifle and one pistol[8D]
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Sometimes two, but normally only one at a time. I always clean them when I'm done.
    Patches & oil are cheap compared to my treasures

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
    edited November -1
    Wundudnee: Ill go shooting withya anyday, now thats going prepared!!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

• OklahomaboundOklahomabound Member Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My truck looks like wundudnee's; great picture. Going shooting tomorrow with two or three of the neighbors.... Will look like a gun and knife show....[8D]

It must be right, or we wouldn't do it this way!