In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What public figure do you look up to?

bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
What public figure do you look up to? I'm not talking about your parents or other relatives unless they are a major public figure.

What person do you think is the best and most admirable public figure and why?

Mine would be Chuck Yeagar (http://chuckyeager.com/). With all of his accomplishments in his life like rising to the rank of General, breaking the sound barrier, distinguished war record (and the list goes on)... Through all of this he is still one of the most humble people, and never gave up on his hunting & fishing heritage that he grew up loving.

I think I'm gonna order some personalized stuff from the site above, he won't be around forever. [V]
Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.

Comments

• bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Bill Gates. Made a fortune playing hardball with the big boys and is now spending considerable effort giving it away.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Christ.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Also... Norman Schwartzkopf. Did I spell that right?

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bdj, you and I better stay away from this topic in person [:D]!!

While I disagree with him on many issues, one choice I'd make is Joe Lieberman; man has integrity to go out on the campaign trail and repudiate the chant of the loony left which propelled Dean and Kerry to the forefront of the DemoCrap Prez campaign. Ublike most DemoCraps, he didn't try to sell us out!

The one I really have my eye on is Tom Tancredo (R-CO) who is raising H!ll with the policies allowing all the illegal immigrants into the country.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    Jimmy Carter as ex-president.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Martin Luther King.
    A man of vision and courage.

Hard pressed to think of a President in my lifetime who is half the man that King was.
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Every Teacher I ever had.

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • 96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Popeye;
    He smokes, has a tattoo and earring, and beats up on bad guys. Politically correct he is not, thus I look up to him for also saying, "I am what I am and dat's all that I am."

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Person I see in the Mirror! [:D] [:D] [8D]

Jacksonville.gif
    sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    Martin Luther King.
    A man of vision and courage.

Hard pressed to think of a President in my lifetime who is half the man that King was.

You are joking right?

bouncies.gif
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    bigtire of course. For his inserted video clip[:D][:D]

I admire Ted Nugent for speaking his mind no matter what. Not sure if he is who I admire most, but you gotta give to the guy. He definitely isn't afraid to speak his mind even if it could cost him his entire career.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hmmm...he's probably high up on my list. Bad president, but a great guy.

quote:Originally posted by woodshermit
    Jimmy Carter as ex-president.
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Carlos Santana, Bill Gates, Mel Gibson.

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey bigtire, I was thinking the same thing.. MLK.. hahah yeah right. Frederick Douglas did more for civil rights than that guy did.

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Unfortunately, my hero was killed at the 2001 Daytona 500.
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Amen to what Rocklobster said. [V]

vic.jpg

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since we're doing both living and dead, I'll take one of each. You figure out which is which;

Anwar Sadat: First Arab leader to approach Israel as an ambassador of peace. Sought co-existance and had the courage to break with the past. A visionary whose insight could have changed the world if implemented. Probably one of the boldest leaders of the latter half of the 20th century.

Charlton Heston: Former president SAG, Former president NRA, Ben-Hur, El Cid, Omega Man, Found the Statue of Liberty, etc.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Martin Luther King was a great man.
    He risked his life to give the black man equal rights.
    If you don't understand that, 36 years after his death, then I can't explain it to you.
  • Winchester-muttWinchester-mutt Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got to side with Allen Griggs on this. MLK was a great man. Bigtire and ruger270man, sorry. But you are both dead wrong on this. Remember what MLK WAS...not what the african americans of today are making him out to be. I firmly believe MLK would be horrified at all that is sold in his name today. Just put yourself back in the 50's and 60's and tell me that the discrimination then was right. That is what MLK was fighting for. Just equality...not affirmative action and all that crap. JUST EQUALITY. Period! And he was right in doing so. With your replies, both of you showed yourself to be ignorant * of the first degree!
  • gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocklobster
    Unfortunately, my hero was killed at the 2001 Daytona 500.

And 3 years ago yesterday was when we lost him. Roundy round will never be the same without him.
  • gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    allen griggs and winchester-mutt,

Take a look at this link that nunn (our administrator) C&P posted some time ago (it's just a C&P and not his opinion). It might shed some light on why some people like ruger270 or bigtire feel the way they do about MLK. I know I have my concerns and always have. There are some very interseting accusations that all Americans should question. I for one would like to know the truth.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=93367&SearchTerms=MLK
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,451 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thomas Jefferson. He had a little Strom Thurman-like problem and some mulatto kids, but a great mind. No one is perfect, and probably a lot of stuff simply should not come into the public eye. A lot of ex-prezes, have had the occasional or regular Lewinsky, but it was not until well after Kennedy that the press thought anyone should know about it.

He Dog
  • muggstermuggster Member Posts: 420 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe this'll help.It's a website I ran across about the time they were having MLK Day.I don't know how much truth there is to it but...[url][/url]http://www.martinlutherking.org/

Muggster
  • trooperchintrooperchin Member Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MUggster, if you look at the bottem of the website, it says who the site is run by. Apparently, StormFront is the sponsor. I am not sure if you know about these guys but they are in Cahoots w/ the Klan and are bigtime hitler/nazi lovers. Very verybad white supremist group. I advise you to stay away, far away.

sniper.gif
    koreaAnim.gifUN.bmp

Go Army Beat Navy
    IF you wanna have fun join the cavalry
  • ozwynozwyn Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Teddy Roosevelt. Sometimes also called Teddy F-ing Rossevelt "kicked * and took names before we knew what that meant".

Massively pro environment, pro gun, and yet also balanced a good social agenda too.(without screwing the economy in the process) His presence made him 2 feet taller and 50 pounds heavier than in RL.

That was a poltician you coudl olook and go: "yeah, he kicks * and can run the politicl storm"

How often do we really get that? not often enough
  • flat8flat8 Member Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ronald Reagan. I love that man.
  • temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Still living:Ronald Reagan / Deceased:Teddy Roosevelt,Thomas Jefferson / Another country:Winston Churchill [8D]
  • LightningLightning Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone of the ones that signed the constitution would be fine.

Certainly NOT the Jessee Jackson of the 60's better known as Martin Luther King.
  • GhostCatGhostCat Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    David Gilmore.....The best guitar player I know....He also gives away millions in charity.

Marchin Lootin King (MLK) Needs to be dug up from the grave and shot again.

GhostCat
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The women that is in bigtires video clip of course!

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!
  • DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dick Cheney: The greatest trick the Vice President ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd have to say Teddy Roosevelt would rate up there too, I'll put him high on my deceased list...

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    temblor, we agree again !!!!As for you folks that look at racers as heros....I just dont't get it..Good at what they do, as are great musicians,but what do they contribute ??...Entertainers is all they are...So's Michael Jackson...EEEEEWWWWWW...I know I stepped in it with you NASCAR fans, but ..but.. oh heck , I just don't get it...

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
  • Artic wolfArtic wolf Member Posts: 181 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Old Time NRA President Charlton Heston
    He leaves a Legacy like no other...[^]
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Thomas Jefferson -- probably why I became a lawyer.

Teddy Roosevelt -- do I know some stories about that dude! He was awesome. By the way, he hunted Big Horn Sheep on our ranch!

Living? Collin Powell Henry Kissinger (sp?)

This is limited to public figures so that is about it.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
    advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
    boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
    ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
    character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
    your walks." Thomas Jefferson
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Perfect examples of the old saw..."You can fool some of the people all the time..".......
  • 3gunner3gunner Member Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oliver North would be one.
  • trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This might seem weird but I always looked up to Dave Thomas the owner and founder of Wndy's.That man started out working at a place just like he owned,built his own,turned it into one of the biggest fast chains in the world and all without a high school education.The man didnt even graduate high school until he was already old and rich.Thats something to admire.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    Since we're doing both living and dead, I'll take one of each. You figure out which is which;

Anwar Sadat: First Arab leader to approach Israel as an ambassador of peace. Sought co-existance and had the courage to break with the past. A visionary whose insight could have changed the world if implemented. Probably one of the boldest leaders of the latter half of the 20th century.

Charlton Heston: Former president SAG, Former president NRA, Ben-Hur, El Cid, Omega Man, Found the Statue of Liberty, parted the Red Sea, etc.

What men call a hero...is merely a man who is seen doing what a brave man does as a matter of course.
    A man who is in love with learning is a man who is never without a bride, for there is always more. L'Amour
  • flat8flat8 Member Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    p3skyking -

Sadat is a heck of a choice . . . not too many people give him the credit he deserves. Things would be different today if Zawahiri and the boys hadn't killed him. Great man.