In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

New gun for Mrs. Mudge

mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Mrs. Mudge and I are becoming somewhat disenchanted with her Glock 30. For reasons we don't need to go into.
We're going to look at the Colt Defender and some other stuff. Some of the semi's are pretty ugly so she's not to interested in them. I won't list what makes they are as I'm sure some of you have/carry a few of them.
Anyway....Any of you ladies out there have relatively small hands?
(Thankfully, Mrs. Mudge does.) If so, can you tell me/us what model gun fits your hand the best. She can, if absolutely necessary, operate my Commander but the grip is just a bit too large for comfort
and her thumb barely reaches the safety.
Don't know if a DAO will work 'cause she doesn't have a lot of strength in her trigger finger. (Nerve damage from years ago.)
Any ideas would be appreciated.
You guys are welcome to put your 2 cents in, too.
Like you wouldn't anyway.[:D]

Mudge the anticipatory

ps. Not interested in a revolver.

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!<BR>

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    My wife loves her Springfield XD, in 40 S&W.

Eric

All American Arms Company

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • 4wheeler4wheeler Member Posts: 3,441
    edited November -1
    I have small hands but the Berreta 96 Vertec fits them well but it is .40 caliber. I think it is a nice looking gun as well. My .02[:D]

Hillsville.
  • 4000fps4000fps Member Posts: 786 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The wife loves her Glock 30. She also has very small hands and also very weak. Her other favorites are the Walther PPK/S and SW640 with the shrouded hammer.
  • BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    Call me silly - Mrs. Blue has seen me purchase various 9mm pistols over the years. The one she liked was the S&W 439. She said the single stack 8rnd is made for a smaller hand. I have one with pachmyar grips that is easy for her to handle. She still likes her Colt revolver better - but if she had to pick up a semi - she would grab that. It has not had a problem with Golddots or other hollow points like some of the other pistols, like her friends Glock 19.
    I liked my Beretta 92fs but it shot way right and low (consistantly) could be cause I'm a lefty[V]

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Nobody ever listens to me, I'm just the big dummy around here [V]. I'll throw in my two cents anyway [:(]

Get her a Colt pocket hammerless pistol. They are as thin as I was in high school, very reliable and simple to use! (Not saying that the lovely Mrs Mudge needs something simple [:I])

They come in three flavors, 32 380 and 38ACP

vic.jpg

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • duckyducky Member Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife carries a Kahr K9, and it seems to fit her hands perfect. I think it's a cute little piece too..
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm guessing that since Glock 30 = .45 ACP and Colt Defender = .45 ACP, she'd prefer to stay with a serious big bore. If so, I'd look at a compact single stack in stainless or duotone with alloy frame for weight savings, and replace the grips with aftermarket faux ivory or something along that line to make it even more appealing.

Among the slimmer, more hand-friendly grip designs would be the hi-power and the CZ/EAA designs. There might be a variant among the Witnesses or Tanfoglios that is single stack? And there are a few hi-power .45 clones. Or she might even find some other double stack more comfortable.

This is why personal experience would be better; off hand I can't tell you which of these would have the most conveniently mounted safety lever.

I suppose the Para-Ord light double action is worth a mention here as a possibility if they're making a single stack by now. The PT-145 Millennium .45 ACP (available with stainless slide) has a slightly smaller and differently tapered grip girth than the Glocks, and the DA trigger pull is only 8.5 lbs. for every shot. I'd say she can probably shoot anything with a pull of 9 pounds or less, and there are quite a few striker-fired and light double actions in that category besides Glocks now.

If you go down to a .40 S&W it's a whole 'nother topic and there are a lot of choices with smaller grips than the G30, not all of which employ a manual safety. I'm assuming there's something about the Glock you want to get away from, or I'd have to suggest looking into the .45 GAP, especially once they add a compact gun, as they always do sooner or later.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    If Mrs. M wants a semi, Colt Defender is a good way to go. On the advice of jsergovic, I got some flat, checkered wood grips for tht small 1911 feel.

Am getting my new CZ Rami today, also a candidate for small carry piece, but in .40. She might like something like that.

My own lady isn't as advanced in shooting as is Mrs. M, but Nickslady does well with a Smith 640 wheelgun.
  • NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    Meant to mention, my Colt Defender's a .40, even though most are .45.
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    She definitely wants to stay with the .45acp. No revolvers.
    I'm curious as to why there's no mention of Springfield so far.
    I know they're a bit pricey but she's got a high dollar job.[;)]

Mudge the sponger

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Come on, Mudgie. What's the issue with the Glock 30? I own one and I really like it but if they have a problem how about letting your bros. in on it before it causes us some grief.

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lowrider..OK...OK. The Gun isn't the problem....read on.

I, Yes I, me, Mr. Gun-nut had an AD with it.[:O][:I][B)]
    Now...that being said, IT WASN'T MY FAULT
    I was carrying it in my little "camera bag" looking pouch and as I was removing it to put it back on the bedside table, my finger hit the trigger and....BOOM!!!!!
    Well, Mrs. Mudge hears the report and hollers "Are you OK?" Needless to say I can't hear her having just had this .45 go off in a semi-small space. She runs down the hall and finds that I'm ok and then she's more pi$$ed at my not answering her than at the fact that I've just done something incredibly STOOPID!
    The thing does have the light trigger gadget in it, so it didn't take a lot of pressure.
    I have told Mrs. Mudge to NEVER...EVER carry a round in the chamber. She swears she doesn't remember chambering a round and I don't either, but there was one in the pipe bigger n sh--. Totally my fault for not checking before I put it on my hip.[:(][:I]
    The bullet went through the dog bed, the carpet, the carpet pad, the 3/4 inch plywood flooring, the a/c heat ducting and the wallboard in the garage. It missed her car by about 2 feet, glanced off a can of WD-40 and was laying on the garage floor with very little mushrooming.
    Oh...did I mention that this was a Hydra-Shok? Couldn't believe it didn't mushroom more than it did. Maybe it has to hit something a bit less rigid than what it did to mushroom properly.
    The reason for getting her another gun is that she has lost about 75% of the feeling in her trigger finger and if I can press the trigger hard enough to cause it to discharge (with full feeling in my finger)
    there's no doubt she could do it inadvertantly. Now we'd both feel a lot better about her having a gun with a manual safety.
    She thinks the S&W's and Rugers are ugly. The H&K's are OK and the Colt's are really nice looking but may be too big for her hand. We're going to the gun show in Upper Marlboro, MD on Saturday to "try 'em on".

EMBARASSMENT GALORE

Mudge the klutz

FYI...You don't have to say it. I've already said it to myself more times than you can imagine. DDDDUUUUHHHH.

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!<BR>
  • TwoDogsTwoDogs Member Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mudge,
    I just picked up a Kimber CDP compact and an outstanding
    small sized .45 auto....about Colts Officers size.
    Lots of upgrades without having to upgrade a new/used Colt.
    I bought my first carry Glock(19) about a month ago..still tyrying to learn to like it...shoots great..having a hard time getting use to the squared off slide...
    Glad to hear the AD cuased no serious injury/damage.
    Believe me your not the first nor the last for an AD with the Glock.

"Always drink upstream from the herd"
    Will Rogers
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=15979454

I handled one of the CZ PCR's at a show a few years back--the PCR is different from just the compact model--it felt terrific! I plan on buying one eventually, but am afraid FreudianSlippers will steal it from me, just as she took my favorite Ruger P94. (She says she didn't "steal" it, she just "adopted it.")

You might want to see if you can find a PCR that Mrs. Mudge can handle and see if she likes it (assuming she thinks it's "pretty" enough).
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I cannot count how many gun shops we have been into recently. I am not sure, but I think the Mrs. has handled about every gun out there. She has small hands too. Even though she "can" shoot larger pistols (and very well, I might add) she wanted one that "fit" her hand. The one she decided, "felt" the best, was the Walther P-99. It has 3 different "factory" grip parts. When installed, the smallest one, is the one that "fits" my wife`s hand. So for Valentines Day, I bought her one in 40 cal. It has no exposed hammer to hang up when being drawn from concealed. The mag release is in the trigger guard. With it being located there, either you love it, or you hate it. We love it. The de-cocker will take some getting used to though. And the double action is a bit stiff. We will go shoot it later this week. She is excited. Glad to hear the AD was not TOO bad.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    Mudge
    After reading your posts I am somewhat at a loss. If you discount a 1911 as being to large for short fingers and small hands the H&K and Witness models are out of the question in a 45. Compact 45s other that 1911s, Glocks and the Witness are hard to come by. About the only thing different I can think of would be the Mauser (imported by SIG) M2.

Cartoon_truck.gif

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY<P>
  • BoltactionManBoltactionMan Member Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mudge,

Glad no one was hurt. I can't vouch for anything but their feel having only held them and never owned or fired one, but the Star PD and the Firestar were small and compact, might not hurt to have her handle one.

KC
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=16017858

Jacksonville.gif
    sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • ozwynozwyn Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would go for the kimber UDP over the colt defender.

Had one of each, the colt like to throw shell casings in my face and stovepipe.(mind you, i am cursed when it comes to 1911 frames) The kimber was 100% reliable and a lot more accurate than I was.

I saw the Maryland note, so finding either gun might be a bit tricky with that new law this year. We elect a republican governor and still we have our gun rights torn to pieces.
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    My wife has a Glock 30, and has also grown disenchanted. She wanted a revolver so I got her the S&W 340pd. Great gun, great choice.

If the budget would have been higher, it would have been an HK P7 or HK 9mm Compact USP. She fell in love with the P7 and I did too!

She has small hands.

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    My wife has a Glock 30, and has also grown disenchanted. I told her I would be glad to take it!

She wanted a revolver so I got her the S&W 340pd Scandium in 38 Special +P. Great gun, great choice.

If the budget would have been higher, it would have been an HK P7 or HK 9mm Compact USP. She fell in love with the P7 and I did too!

She has small hands.

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    Glad to hear no one was hurt! I think a 642 S&W revolver would be perfect for her. There are many reasons for this suggestion.

1. It is made of stainless steel and an aluminum alloy. This makes it lightweight weapon for carry purposes, and it will be a low maintenance weapon for carrying in a purse.
    2. It has an enclosed hammer so it will not snag with items in her purse.
    3. It is a true double action only revolver with a tactile trigger pull. This addresses one of the problems you mentioned.
    4. It shoots a great round (38 special).
    5. It will fit people with small hands.

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed"

. and the antithesis to this philosophy was uttered by Bill Clinton "I smoked it, but I didn't inhale."

NRA Life Member
  • OklahomaboundOklahomabound Member Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The wife took my SIG P-232 380 semi-automatic. This little 9mm x17 kurz just fits her hands, is pleasing to her eye, and she hits what she shoots at.....[:)]

It must be right, or we wouldn't do it this way!