In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

It's a Jungle on the Propane Tank

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,502 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I live in the wilderness in the NC mountains.
I have a 500 gallon propane tank.

DSCN0549.jpg

Six weeks ago, Mrs. Mouse built a nest beneath the lid of the tank.
Five weeks ago, Mr. Corn Snake, and Mr. Black Snake moved in.
Tough luck for Mrs. Mouse and her family.

DSCN0552.jpg
If you look closely, you will see that the head of the corn snake is small, about the same diameter as his body.

Today, Mr. Copperhead moved in.

Picture004.jpg

Not a great photo of the copperhead. His coloration is almost the same as the corn snake. But, his head is twice as large as his body.
His head is shaped like an Indian arrowhead.
Tough luck for the corn snake.
I guess, Mr. Copperhead ate Mr. Corn Snake.

When I lifted the lid, my hand was 6 inches from the copperhead's head.
Lucky I didn't get bitten.
I like snakes, many of them are beautiful. The most beautiful I have seen is the Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake. Beautiful color pattern.
I never kill an animal unless I have to.
But, right after I shot the photo, I killed the copperhead with an oak stick.
I have two cats and two dogs. A copperhead will make a dog sick as hell, and would probably kill a cat.

Comments

• rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good pics. I woulda offed it too.

Waitin to get back to Tennessee and see what kinda snakes are around my property.
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    I killed a baby copper head in my back yard a couple weeks ago. My wifes 9 year old nephew caught it, and walked up to me asking what kind of snake it was lol. Caught it back in the woods and walked it all the way back up to the house [:0]
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    12 gauge buckshot would take care of the snakeproblem

[:I]

[:o)]
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Todesengel
    I killed a baby copper head in my back yard a couple weeks ago. My wifes 9 year old nephew caught it, and walked up to me asking what kind of snake it was lol. Caught it back in the woods and walked it all the way back up to the house [:0]

A cuz of mine caught one like that. He was doin good until it reached a fang around at a weird angle, and pricked him on the tip of the thumb.[B)]
  • 53hawkeye53hawkeye Member Posts: 4,673
    edited November -1
    quite the snakeatorium. I guess that would be herpitarium, heck, I don't know, I ain't too bright ya know.

I worked on phone cables for years and was in many peds, splice closures, and x-conn boxes along the roads, in ditches, swamps, hillsides. Always was on alert for everything from snakes to spiders (toxic ones), scorpions, wasps, bees, skunks, rats, birds, even flying squirrels.

Always be cautious and alert when opening or overturning stuff outside.[:)]
  • 53hawkeye53hawkeye Member Posts: 4,673
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HappyNanoq

Please tell me you would wait for the snake to clear the LP tank.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,502 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carried a .22 rifle out there, along with the camera and the oak stick.
    Looked like a bad spot for the rifle, I could see the bullet, cutting the copper gas line, hitting the steel tank, sparking, etc., etc...
    I decided to use the stick.
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,697 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your Propane Tank cover has formed a real menagerie!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• non mortuusnon mortuus Member Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 53hawkeye
    quote:Originally posted by HappyNanoq

Please tell me you would wait for the snake to clear the LP tank.

Saves time mowing and trimming if you just blow the whole place up [}:)]
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    All them leaves would be gone in about two tenths of a sec...

Cool.

[:p]
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of my Young Marines in 29 Palms brought me a jar of Biting Worms. Took him straight to the base hospital along with the jar of baby snakes so they could Identify what had Bitten him.
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,697 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dnelson457
    One of my Young Marines in 29 Palms brought me a jar of Biting Worms. Took him straight to the base hospital along with the jar of baby snakes so they could Identify what had Bitten him.[:D][:D][:D]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There ain't no shortage of copperheads. I kill every one I get a chance at, and it seems like I get a lot of chances. I'm not sure a copperhead wouldn't kill a dog.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dnelson457
    One of my Young Marines in 29 Palms brought me a jar of Biting Worms. Took him straight to the base hospital along with the jar of baby snakes so they could Identify what had Bitten him.

I've dug up clumps of copperheads that weren't much bigger than worms. I'm always suspicious of them worms that bite. [:D] [:D] [:D]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That will scare the hell out of you if your not paying attention
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had one of my Marines also try to hand me one of these.

lizardndetail.jpg

Not sure what it was doing at 29 Palms California. Cause that was the one and only one I ever saw in that area. Told him if he got bit and got sick He was in very big trouble.

Those biting Worms would have been. Mojave Green Rattlesnakes
  • ripley16ripley16 Member Posts: 4,834
    edited November -1
    quote:I have two cats and two dogs. A copperhead will make a dog sick as hell, and would probably kill a cat.

They are rough on people too. I know two people bitten, both were hospitalized and one almost lost a foot. I'm sure your propane deliveryman thanks you.
  • Beer BellyBeer Belly Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would consider putting some moth balls under that cover.
  • chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Time for a give away. You can send the corn snake and black rat snake to me. Keep the copperhead and mice.[:D]
  • Oklahoma223Oklahoma223 Member Posts: 2,648 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,058 ******
    edited November -1
    The Copperhead probably did not eat either of the other snakes.
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Birds build nests in the top of mine. I keep cleaning them out and trying to block them out. Problem is that long term bird droppings will eventually corode thorogh the top of the tank. There goes the propane and the tank. You may want to keep critters that leave dropings out of the top of the tank.
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    I guess you could skin him and eat him like a rattler. I wonder how he would taste.
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Dug up a nest, I guess for lack of a better term, of baby copperheads. Old rooster saw them and called the hens over. Took them all of about 1 minute to eat every single "biting worms" they could find.

In '79 while stationed at 29 Palms, had one young Marine try to chill a sidewinder with a CO2 fire extinguisher so he could "safely" pick it up. He can tell you from direct experience that CO2 doesn't slow them down much but it sure does make them mad. He lost a thumb over that stunt. Another young agent about the same time got bit on the lower lip by one of those Mohave rattlers. He got sick alright, had a lip everyone made fun of, including the battalion commander at his office hours, for a long time. Never did hear a reasonable explanation of how that happened.

On the subject of snakes. Knew a man who killed a 6 1/2' eastern diamond back. Got it stuffed (mounted) and brought it over to show me. Cats took one look and ran, didn't see them again for a couple of days, when they finally came out of hiding, they were skittish and were looking over their shoulder for a couple of weeks.