In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ques. about .17 HMR

cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
edited February 2008 in General Discussion
Twas in Sportsmans Warehouse the other day and and saw some .17 HMR ammo for the first time and was surprised at how small it was.For GB members that have this cal.hows it doing fer ya.At what distance with proper shot placement, will it kill a coyote? Also what manufacturer has this cal. that wont drain a bank account>$200-$400 range.

Comments

• Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Heard that our military is going to the .17 HMR, so lots more bullets can be carried, and the rifle can be lighter (for the distaff members), and when struck by the round, it will really sting our adversaries.

Doug
  • Options
    MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use it on Prairie Dogs. Kill about 1,000 a year. Longest kills were 230 - 260 yards.

I really like the Savage 93 with the tuumb-hole laminated stock and a heavy barrel. $340.

Punch a dime at 100 yards.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I own a 17 HMR in a marlin bolt, HHB configuration.

I wouldn't use it on yotes. I WOULD however use it anywhere I would use a 22 LR. Woodchucks yes, yotes no.

They are flat shooters and have explosive results on 'chucks.

As far as a gun goes, I belive you can get a Marlin bolt action from China-Mart for under 300 bucks.
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    my longest shot has been on a possum at about 100 yards , dead right there , same with skunks or * , rifles is a CZ 452 ammo usually is CCI
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Ruger. I would and have used it on coyotes. I also have used it on big water lizards. Beats the 22 mag all to hell. Don
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Sako, really sweet.
  • Options
    cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12
    I have the Ruger. I would and have used it on coyotes. I also have used it on big water lizards. Beats the 22 mag all to hell. Don
    Big water Lizards??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12
    I also have used it on big water lizards.

I didn't realize you frequented truck stops.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lot Lizzards???
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    Heard that our military is going to the .17 HMR, so lots more bullets can be carried, and the rifle can be lighter (for the distaff members), and when struck by the round, it will really sting our adversaries.

Doug

[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson

Doug

Doug,

I know you were making a funny, but I really wouldn't want to be hit with the 17HMR. The wound channel is terrible. It may not penetrate deeply, but that bullet literally explodes when it hits flesh. I have seen that bullet blow chunks off chucks'.

Pretty devistating round for small game.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:will it kill a coyote?
    100 yards= Dead if you do your part!
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Will it kill 'yotes? Yes and do a fine job. Had a family of foxes in the back field a couple of summers ago. Got mom and dad first, then the young. Kills like lightning.