In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Any ham radio guys

elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
edited September 2012 in General Discussion
I have found since I got my Ham license the other hams also are firearms owners just wondered if there are any on the GB forum.

Comments

• Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    KE2DY/Advanced Class[^]
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    There are a few of us here. This topic comes up a few times a year.

I say "us" loosely. While I hold a license, I haven't touched a radio in a few years. I dont even own a functioning rig at the moment. My ticket is still current, but I can't sy that would be the case if they didn't issue ten year licenses. If I had to renew it every few years, there's a good chance I would have dropped it a few years back.

I hope to get back into it some day when I can afford a nice rig. I'd like to get into high frequency dxing.

/73

K1KWD
  • Options
    CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
    edited November -1
    would like to know more about it. How much/ what bs do u have to go through to get licensed. How does one get a radio
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    When I got my license, I needed it for an event on short notice. I bought the study book on Saturday, brought it to work m-f and read it between calls on the ambulance, and took the test on Saturday. Passed first time. I don't remember the cost. It's super easy, at least for tech class. General is harder, and extra gets a bit complicated.

After that, you just buy a radio, power supply, antenna and start looking for people to talk to. You being on the boat could ask the skipper if he would mind you setting up a radio on the boat.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not Ham Licensed

But Licensed on GMRS
    WQPR539

And I work 11m SSB
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot of hams here. I don't know about radio guys.
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    MMOMEQ was my old call sign for my Mars station I ran for 6 months in VN. I have an old Collins S line sitting in my closet that I haven't fired up in 30 years. My old Beam antenna was recycled for the aluminum years ago along with my 45' tower that beam was mounted on. My amp, I can't remember what happened to it.

Haven't used morse code in years but still can remember some of it. I used to be pretty good with a speed key.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My father was W2MTB and my brother in law in Tenn. is a ham operator W4BCU.
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    de KF4LQT

Marine Corps/Navy MARS NNN0BCP