In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Pistol Transfer Question

steeltoe1978steeltoe1978 Member Posts: 3,248
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
A friend of mine is getting rid of some of the guns in his collection and gave me first pick. I have my eye on one of his pistols. The problem is that the gun is not registered in his name. He has had it for several years and bought it from a friend who had LEGALLY bought it at a local gun shop. When he bought it from his friend, they filled out a hand written receipt that stated that he was buying the pistol. (I guess they didn't know to go through a FFL holder). They both signed it and had a witness sign it too. He still has this piece of paper. Both the original owner and the witness moved out of state a few years ago, and they haven't been in touch for a while. I told him that I wouldn't feel right about buying that gun off of him until I found out what steps would have to be taken and if it is even possible to transfer the gun into my name. What can be done?? - Toe

Comments

• 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    What State do live in?

There is no Fed requirement face to face transfer must be made through a FFL.

It's just a private sale and a bill of sale will do it for paper work.

Steel is for guns Tupperware is for leftovers

happy_fc.gif
  • RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont know what state you are in. But in many states person to person deals involving pistols are fine. You dont need to go through a FFL or even write bills of sale if you dont want to.

This may be different in your state.

*Edit* It appears 22WRF beat me to it.

RUGER.jpg

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Ben Franklin
  • steeltoe1978steeltoe1978 Member Posts: 3,248
    edited November -1
    We are both in PA. The transfer between the original owner and my friend took place in TX. -Toe
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    http://www.firearmslawcenter.org/content/pennsylvania.asp

Private Sales

An unlicensed seller may only sell firearms to an unlicensed purchaser at the place of business of a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or county sheriff's office. Section 6111(c). The licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or sheriff must comply with all of the dealer regulations set forth above in the Pennsylvania Dealer Regulations section, including a background check on prospective purchasers.

Any person who sells a firearm in violation of any of the firearms sales requirements (listed in the Pennsylvania Dealer Regulations section) commits a second degree misdemeanor. Id. Any seller who delivers a firearm to an individual who is not eligible to possess a firearm commits a third degree felony. Id. Any seller who delivers a firearm in violation of the requirements of section 6111 and who "has reason to believe the firearm is intended to be used in the commission of or attempt to commit a crime" can be held civilly and criminally liable for said crime or attempted crime. Sections 6111(g)(5) and 6111(g)(6), see also the Pennsylvania Immunity Statutes/Manufacturer Litigation section. Any person who knowingly and intentionally delivers a firearm to a person less than 18 years of age who does not fall into an exception for possession of a firearm commits a felony of the third degree. Section 6110.1 (c), see also the Pennsylvania Minimum Age to Purchase/Possess section.

In addition, all sellers must provide a locking device for any firearm s/he delivers unless the firearm incorporates a locking device or the purchaser obtains a locking device for the firearm. Section 6142. This section does not apply to firearms transfers to law enforcement or licensed dealers. Id.

Steel is for guns Tupperware is for leftovers
    happy_fc.gif
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the gun was purchased out of state then brought to PA the owner must take it to a dealer or county sheriff and have it registered. If he You and your friend need to go to a dealer and have the transfer done like a normal transfer and explain to the dealer the gun was purchased out of state and needs registered now.

For those of you not in PA, yes we must have all handguns registered with the state. An unregistered handgun in PA is an illegal gun. Also private sales between indiviuals in PA are illegal for handguns.

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Glad I live in Florida, where the government dont control what ya do all the time..I know it is coming to that everywhere, darn shame, that they infringe on your rights that way..

eagle.gif
    "It is hard to soar with Eagles when your surrounded by Turkeys"

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    This America. Guns are not registered in anyone's name.
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Register to vote and register your car.