In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Click it or ticket seatbelt campaign

Comments

• Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bingeebob
    headlights, brake-lights, turn signals, and many other safety features are mandatory as well... I don't hear anybody complaining about the "nanny-state" forcing us to use them on public roads...

Those "safety features" help ensure the safety of those around you. A seatbelt is only for your safety.

quote:Originally posted by airmung
    If they really were concerned about your safety, they would just give you a warning. Last I heard, it was a $105 ticket here.

And how many people would all of the sudden start wearing their sealtbelt if the only thing that happened was a warning?
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seat belts...haha...next thing ya know the state will be telling us how fast we can go on a public roadway...
  • Options
    Duce1Duce1 Member Posts: 9,329
    edited November -1
    Short and simple.

A money maker for the local and state level................

Nothing more .
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by calrugerfan
    quote:Originally posted by bingeebob
    headlights, brake-lights, turn signals, and many other safety features are mandatory as well... I don't hear anybody complaining about the "nanny-state" forcing us to use them on public roads...

Those "safety features" help ensure the safety of those around you. A seatbelt is only for your safety.

quote:Originally posted by airmung
    If they really were concerned about your safety, they would just give you a warning. Last I heard, it was a $105 ticket here.

And how many people all of the sudden start wearing their sealtbelt if the only thing that happened was a warning?

If you wreck and get ejected from the car due to no seatbelt, I have to swerve to avoid running you over, that is endangering me and whoever I might swerve into. [;)]
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Seat belts cost me a friend and his family. He was a Westpoint Kentucky cop and was hit in the rear by a Semi in his family car, seatbelts locked and wouldnt open, he had his knife in his hand when the car exploded killing all four.

I believe it is 6 of one and a half dozen of the other ,either way.

However government intrusion on my private life , telling me what is good for me is another story.[:D]

Pretty soon you wont be able to eat at Burger King anymore.[;)]
  • Options
    Wyatt EarpWyatt Earp Member Posts: 5,871
    edited November -1
    I don't have a problem with you not wearing a seatbelt as long as you're willing to indemnify me as a taxpayer from paying your bills to maintain you in a vegetative state for 20 years ater your car wreck.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    C'mon guys, if you want to basejump, bungee jump, or hunt alligators with your bare hands I don't care. But don't tell me you really think seatbelts don't dramatically better your odds. They do, there's no disputing that.

Again, so long as it's only your neck you're risking, knock yourself out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wyatt Earp
    I don't have a problem with you not wearing a seatbelt as long as you're willing to indemnify me as a taxpayer from paying your bills to maintain you in a vegetative state for 20 years ater your car wreck.

+1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    In Florida, you dont need motorcycle insurance, If you ride without a helmet you are supposed to have enough medical coverage to take care of your expenses if hospitalized from a crash.

If I decide not to wear a seatbelt and drive and am hurt in a wreck,Seatbelt or not, if you get hurt, have insurance.. I do. So dont worry about having to foot my bill..[;)]

That is not the point here. The point is some ding-a-ling in governmnet decides what you will do or not do, taking away your choice.
  • Options
    StokesStokes Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you can get pulled over in NY for just not wearing one...

In any case, our school buses MUST be equipped with seatbelts, but the kids on the bus do NOT have to use them. I've never seen anyone use them, and actually the way a school bus is designed, a seat belt will cause more injuries than it helps.

See the seats are welded/shaped/notched in a way, in the frame, that when they're impacted hard from the back (like a body flying forward), they bend forward some. If the body cant shift forward, the passenger will likely just jack their neck back when their face hits the seat. Also less likely to suffer whiplash without the belt.
  • Options
    bingeebobbingeebob Member Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    guys, the point is to keep insurance costs down for the rest of us. I agree, nobody should tell us what risks we can take with our own lives, but these laws are not about saving your life, they are about keeping MY insurance costs down. I don't care if you want to risk your own life skydiving, motorcycle racing, or whatever, but when your death will cost ME money, then I care.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My injury or Death isnt going to cost you a freakin dime.
  • Options
    bingeebobbingeebob Member Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will cost me more when the insurance companies have to charge me more because they had to pay your hospital bills.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    In Florida, you dont need motorcycle insurance, If you ride without a helmet you are supposed to have enough medical coverage to take care of your expenses if hospitalized from a crash.

If I decide not to wear a seatbelt and drive and am hurt in a wreck,Seatbelt or not, if you get hurt, have insurance.. I do. So dont worry about having to foot my bill..[;)]

That is not the point here. The point is some ding-a-ling in governmnet decides what you will do or not do, taking away your choice.

Are you ok with your insurance company adding a surcharge to anybody that doesn't wear their seatbelt? Or would you rather them raise rates for everybody? Just curious, because either way, most people on here will say that it's all just a scam for the insurance companies to get more money.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Seat belts save lives...bottom line....do any of the anti seat belt peeps here derail their airbags?...how dare the state require them.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wear a seatbelt--I frankly could care less if an adult does or not-that is their choice. You generally have to have insurance to even register your car so if you choose not to wear a seatbelt you should at least carry enough insurance to cover your medical expenses if you are ejected and end up a * for the rest of your life. Your kids should be belted in though(not by law but by having some common sense.)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have excellant insurance. The ding dong that thinks he will have to pay for me is evidently smoking something he shouldnt be. My insurance I have has nothing to do with what you pay or dont pay. Some rattle their gums in here without knowing the situation. AGAIN , When something happens to me, you dont have to worry as I am well taken care of. I have had over a million dollars of hospital care and I bet you didnt get an increase on your insurance because of it either. Some people in here crack me up..[:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have excellant insurance. The ding dong that thinks he will have to pay for me is evidently smoking something he shouldnt be. My insurance I have has nothing to do with what you pay or dont pay. Some rattle their gums in here without knowing the situation. AGAIN , When something happens to me, you dont have to worry as I am well taken care of. I have had over a million dollars of hospital care and I bet you didnt get an increase on your insurance because of it either. Some people in here crack me up..[:D][:D][:D][:D]

Get enough people that have $1MM in medical bills and I guarantee that rates will go up. I'm doubting that you've paid $1MM in premium with one company. If you haven't, it means that somebody else's money is helping to foot the bill.

It's like this. If you are an insurance company and you have 10 clients that each pay $10,000 per year, then you can afford a single claim of $100,000. If you have TWO claims of $100,000, now everybody has to pay more. So if you were the first one to make a claim, then it technically wasn't your accident that caused the rate increase. However, cumulatively speaking, you are at fault just as much as the second claimant.

So by saying that you having a claim won't raise insurance rates, you are theoretically correct. However, if there are enough Classic095's, then rates WILL go up. They will increase MORE for the ones that have claims, but they will go up for everybody.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    It's a stoppable offense in Florida but, U don't have to wear a helmet,to ride your motorcycle...GO FIGGER..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    CALRUGERFAN, you dont have a clue as to my insurance.. Try to figure it out. If you cant I will tell you later. Until then believe me, my costs have nothing to do with the cost of insurance to others.. Thats why my comment about ding dongs not knowing what they are talking about.

The ones you have to worry about are the welfare deadbeats. Or those that choose not to have insurance.. I too am pissed about the cost of medical care passed on to the taxpayer. but I damn sure aint one of them..When my health care cost you send me a bill..But you better be damned sure about it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    CALRUGERFAN, you dont have a clue as to my insurance.. Try to figure it out. If you cant I will tell you later. Until then believe me, my costs have nothing to do with the cost of insurance to others.. Thats why my comment about ding dongs not knowing what they are talking about.

The ones you have to worry about are the welfare deadbeats. Or those that choose not to have insurance.. I too am pissed about the cost of medical care passed on to the taxpayer. but I damn sure aint one of them..When my health care cost you send me a bill..But you better be damned sure about it.

I'm not talking about YOU in particular. I'm talking about insurance as a whole. For all I know, you could be on some super union self insurance plan or something like that.

However, having been in the insurance industry for 10 years, I can tell you this: when one company starts taking some big losses, rates go up across the board, even for companies that did not participate in the losses. Look at it as a preemptive strike.

Now, as far as the original question goes, I say that any person 18 or older should be able to choose whether or not they want to wear a seatbelt. Under 18, sorry, buckle up. However, I also believe that anything that results from somebody not wearing a seatbelt should never become a burden to taxpayers, insurance companies, or anybody outside of the person that made the decision.

I've long wanted insurance companies to have a "Stupidity Clause." I even had one written up once. It was hilarious.

ADDED: You're dead on about the welfare deadbeats. As a bonus comment, I believe that if you are living off of the government, they should get to control your every move.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They run a similar ad in Florida from time to time. It always made me laugh to hear the 'tough' talk from the cops.

Florida is now a primary offense state.
    I never used to wear one, but I have started wearing it most of the time just to avoid the hassle.

Been pulled over, but not ticketed due to the fact I knew the officer. He knows how I feel about it, but asked me to please wear it as he didn't want to HAVE to give me a ticket someday.

I think it is a massive government intrusion into my private business though. I like the point that Shane made as well,.....half the time I get stuck behind a school bus they are jumping around inside like caged monkeys. What about "the children?"[xx(]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a BS collectivist intrusion. Nothing more.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I see what is happening with insurance, when they have to pay, someone else has to pay more. Lawyers and Insurance companies are great bed fellows. One cannot survive without the other..

I personally know people that dont have a dime of insurance nor have ever paid any money into SS, but yet they are on medicaid, and some Draw SSI , these are the people that are driving up your cost..
    there are Millions of Deadbeats in our society that are choking the system ..[:(]
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Lets use our heads here. We all know that the reason for wearing a seat belt is so the goverment mandated airbags don't kill you.......................

I've been tempted to get some T shirts designed that have the imprint of a "seat belt across them.
  • Options
    HavegunJoeHavegunJoe Member Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, sorry but we cannot think for ourselves. Only the government is able to that for us. You must do as they say and like it. That-being-said I am with you. It's my business and this is simply a money making scheme.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HavegunJoe
    No, sorry but we cannot think for ourselves.

Sadly that is exactly the case for a lot of people. I'm NOT for the government filling that void though.

I think it should be the insurance company's function, not the government's. Just like when they ask you if you smoke, drink, fly, or do other hazardous hobbies before they set your rate - if you tell them you don't wear a seatbelt they can just set your premium accordingly per your reckless tendencies...my guess is they wouldn't write you coverage at all...and that would be their option, right?

You don't wanna wear it, I could not care less, so long as it doesn't affect me.

All that said, I cannot understand anyone not wearing one. My pickup doesn't back out of the garage without me buckling up. I've driven well over 2 million miles and I've seen a lot.

When my son was a teen he got in the habit of not putting on his seatbelt when he got in with me. Every time he did I'd drive several hundred feet then slam on my brakes and slam him into the dash...not hard enough to hurt him, but hard enough to make my point. It worked.

Nunn, how many dead bodies have you seen that were unbuckled verses those that were buckled up?
  • Options
    trc313trc313 Member Posts: 3,475
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Captplaid
    These click it or ticket commercials do a real great job making state troopers sound like a bunch or jackbooted Nazis who think they own the road.

I guess they are a bunch of roadwarrior nazis anymore.

BINGO!!!
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,017 ******
    edited November -1
    I don't care if you don't want to use your safety belt. I don't care if you remove your air bag and throw it away or sell it. It's your ugly face that is going to be bisected by the steering wheel, not mine.

Likewise, I don't care if you ride your motorcycle without a helmet, wearing flip-flops, shorts, and a T-shirt.

The only thing I ask, if you make such choices, is PLEASE fill out your organ donor card.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,469 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [img][/img]osha_cowboy.jpg

Just let the government get a hold of it
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:My thoughts on seatbelts for years has been it is my business whether I choose to wear my seatbelt, What is it to the police whether I have it on or not, can't I as an adult make up my own mind on whether to wear it or not. Seems to me that this is just a fundraising push for our respective states.

My thoughts on the subject? I know, a lot of you dont care to hear them, but too damn bad,....you can always close out the thread without reading my post..

It doesnt matter what the govt does or doesnt do...someone is bound to say "I can make up my own mind, dont need the gov't doing it for me" and it doesnt matter if the law is to wear the seat belt, not wear it, speeding, lights, abortion, adoption, etc..

It doesnt matter...someone will say the govt is overstepping and needs to stay our of our business...
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    So you guys don't mind following the speed limit, not following too closely, signaling to change lanes, not changing lanes in an intersection, getting your car inspected, stopping for a school bus, not passing in a no passing zone, yielding the right of way to pedestrians, yielding the right of way to emergency vehicles, putting your children in child seats, etc, etc, - - -but, you draw the line at having to wear a seatbelt huh? What great warriors you are! And I salute you! [:)][:p]
  • Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slipgate
    quote:Originally posted by US Military Guy
    ... Kids should always be belted. It would be a confusing law to say the driver is responsible for making sure everyone is belted accept themself. ... So any state that has these types of laws it is for everyone in the vehicle. And I agree with the laws.

Remember - driving is a right, not a privilege. The rules of the road are made by those that grant the privilege.

Doesn't a school bus driver have to wear a seatbelt? Now that is confusing.

So I am being granted the privilege to exercise my right?

Apples to Oranges. We are talking about cars. But I don't know of many school buses that even have seatbelts on anything but the driver's seat. And as far as I know, driving is a privilege and not a right.

Sorry, I thought we were talking about seat belts.
    I did not say driving was a right. You did.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So you guys don't mind following the speed limit, not following too closely, signaling to change lanes, not changing lanes in an intersection, getting your car inspected, stopping for a school bus, not passing in a no passing zone, yielding the right of way to pedestrians, yielding the right of way to emergency vehicles, putting your children in child seats, etc, etc, - - -but, you draw the line at having to wear a seatbelt huh? What great warriors you are! And I salute you! [:)][:p]
    Spot on...funny stuff right there[:D]
  • Options
    204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by countryfarmer
    Here in Ky my biggest problems with seatbelts is..THey say you have to wear one but they will let motorcyclist go without helmets, doesn't make much sense to me. I think seatbelts do help but it ought to be a personal choice.

I was gonna comment on this very thing. Makes no sense at all. I personally never leave without wearing a seatbelt and everyone in my family is the same way. But I dont need anyone telling me I have to do it.
  • Options
    204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    And I do believe in wearing a seat belt. To me it should be common sense just like wearing a helmet on a motorcycle. Thats why I dont like the gov telling me I have to do it. I have enough sense to know to do it. The only argument I could have for this law is the folks that taxpayers will have to support while they are on life support because they did'nt have common sense.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why would you do something that would increase you chances of being killed?
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    id agree that as an adult it should be up to you to decide if you want to put your set belt on or not. it hurts no one but you if you crash without it on. just another part of the nanny state we live in.
  • Options
    shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

The big difference between wearing a seat belt and the list of traffic violations you list should be obvious to those with a few brain cells. If I commit one of those violations I am endangerring OTHER people with my actions. By not wearing my seat belt I endanger MYSELF.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joshmb1982
    id agree that as an adult it should be up to you to decide if you want to put your set belt on or not. it hurts no one but you if you crash without it on. just another part of the nanny state we live in.

A host of impracticalities enters right here. A driver that has a wreck with a passenger who wasn't wearing a seatbelt prolly will get sued. Get in an airplane with me flying and we don't takeoff till you buckle up because, just because you don't understand the physics involved doesn't mean I don't.

I'm not getting sued by your next of kin because you wanted to express your freedom.[:D]