.

Kobe beef- worth the price?

FrancFFrancF Member, Moderator Posts: 35,278 ******
edited December 2007 in General Discussion

Comments

  • spurgemasturspurgemastur Member Posts: 5,655
    edited November -1
    I doubt I'd like it more than grass-fed beef. But I've never tried it.

    Anybody tried it?
  • RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nothing on that site is worth the price they are offering it at.

    I looked at their seafood

    6-11oz Maine lobster tails for only $159.00. I am selling Maine lobster for $3.85/lb right now.

    Jonah Crab claws - 2.5lbs for only $69.00. I sell the whole crab for a whopping .35/lb!
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RUGERGUNZ
    Nothing on that site is worth the price they are offering it at.

    I looked at their seafood

    6-11oz Maine lobster tails for only $159.00. I am selling Maine lobster for $3.85/lb right now.

    Jonah Crab claws - 2.5lbs for only $69.00. I sell the whole crab for a whopping .35/lb!

    Those * have depleted their waters so bad, 1/2 the weight of their seafood is "TEL".
    BTW-"TEL" = Tetra Ethyl Lead. An "anti-knock" compound, or Hydrocarbon..
  • MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had Kobe beef a few times while travleing through Japan. It is very tasty due to the high fat content. I enjoyed it and would recommend trying it. I have no info on the website you posted.

    If you are curious I would suggest trying it at a restaurant.

    Enjoy
    Regards, MAALOX
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,561 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does it come with a bunch of strippers and booze other wise I don't think it is. Kc Strip is hard to beat.[:D][:D]
  • FrancFFrancF Member, Moderator Posts: 35,278 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RUGERGUNZ
    Nothing on that site is worth the price they are offering it at.

    I looked at their seafood

    6-11oz Maine lobster tails for only $159.00. I am selling Maine lobster for $3.85/lb right now.

    Jonah Crab claws - 2.5lbs for only $69.00. I sell the whole crab for a whopping .35/lb!


    Trust me! Only REAL lobster comes from Maine and I will pay the price that you guys ask! I support fishermen[^][:D]
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 13,200
    edited November -1
    I had it every day with Asahi or Nippon beer on two R&Rs to Tokyo.
    It was the best.
    I'd like to try it again but most of all I'd like to see little Mitsue Furuya from Kohinai Maki again.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Kobe beef is beer fed calves suspended in stalls so their feet never have to support themselves by touching the ground. It is the most tender, most tasty beef on the planet. It's even more expensive in yen than in dollars.
  • victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    I was in Japan in the early sixtys. I had me one of those steaks, costed me five bucks. I think what we grow here tastes better.
  • sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387
    edited November -1
    To me the best beef in the world comes from Iowa and is corn fed. We pride ourselves on the quality of beef and pork our state provides.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sarge_3ad
    To me the best beef in the world comes from Iowa and is corn fed. We pride ourselves on the quality of beef and pork our state provides.


    But then if that's all you've ever eaten, how would you know?
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I like Kobe beef.

    But...will not be having it again.

    Doug
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 14,524
    edited November -1
    I rarely buy from them but have purchased Buffalo Steaks from Allen Brothers' website to celebrate during my R&R from Iraq. I sent my mothe a few seasoned leg of lamb roasts for her birthday from the same website. I've been tempted to try a Kobe steak just for the heck of it. I just can't part with the $$$ after eating great fresh meat in Iowa for 4 years.
  • sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    quote:Originally posted by sarge_3ad
    To me the best beef in the world comes from Iowa and is corn fed. We pride ourselves on the quality of beef and pork our state provides.


    But then if that's all you've ever eaten, how would you know?


    I have been half way around the world and back, so believe me it's not the only beef I've ever eaten.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sarge_3ad
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    quote:Originally posted by sarge_3ad
    To me the best beef in the world comes from Iowa and is corn fed. We pride ourselves on the quality of beef and pork our state provides.


    But then if that's all you've ever eaten, how would you know?


    I have been half way around the world and back, so believe me it's not the only beef I've ever eaten.

    So are you saying you have tried Kobe beef and don't think it's the best on the planet? No other beef can be substituted for Kobe beef.
  • sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by idsman75
    I rarely buy from them but have purchased Buffalo Steaks from Allen Brothers' website to celebrate during my R&R from Iraq. I sent my mothe a few seasoned leg of lamb roasts for her birthday from the same website. I've been tempted to try a Kobe steak just for the heck of it. I just can't part with the $$$ after eating great fresh meat in Iowa for 4 years.



    See, even idsman knows the best.
  • sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    quote:Originally posted by sarge_3ad
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    quote:Originally posted by sarge_3ad
    To me the best beef in the world comes from Iowa and is corn fed. We pride ourselves on the quality of beef and pork our state provides.


    But then if that's all you've ever eaten, how would you know?


    I have been half way around the world and back, so believe me it's not the only beef I've ever eaten.

    So are you saying you have tried Kobe beef and don't think it's the best on the planet? No other beef can be substituted for Kobe beef.


    No, I didn't say that. But, have you tried any Iowa cornfed beef?
  • iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    quote: Kobe beef is beer fed calves suspended in stalls so their feet never have to support themselves by touching the ground.

    Not quite. The cow is not locked in the stall with its feet not touching the ground. Maybe you are thinking of veal. It is allowed to run in pastures. That is one reason it is so expensive. Very little open range land in Japan. It is massaged twice a day by a trained worker. Some breeders use beer, others use champagne, others feed the mash. I do like good old Iowa beef, but NOTHING can compare to Kobe beef. It is so marbled that it doesn't even look much like beef! Sliced then and served raw with a little simmering kobe beef broth to dip your slice in to cook it is almost heaven on earth!
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sarge_3ad


    No, I didn't say that. But, have you tried any Iowa cornfed beef?


    If it's sold at Winn/Dixie, Piggly Wiggly, Wal-Mart, Safeway, or served in sitdown resturants like Logans Roadhouse, Navy or Air Force chow halls, or Friends of the NRA banquets, yes I have.
  • victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    Well I was in Kobe when I had my steak, I didn't think it was all that great. My bucher has his own ranch, he might kill ten to twelve One year olds a day.They'r are killed out in the pasture, one in each pasture.My butcher has around two hundred miles of land. I've seen my butcher turn down beef from his own land , and sell it to someone else.I don't see how hand rubbing a cow can make it taste better.
  • KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    that Nippon beef looks a lot fatty-er than the TX/OK/KS beef I am used to. I'll stick with US beef.

    BTW. I also prefer the Corsair over the Zeke and my Bonneville over one of them toy-class Honda cars [;)]
  • DarkStar11DarkStar11 Member Posts: 1,868 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've found Kobe beef makes much better burgers than it does steaks.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    Kobe beef is beer fed calves suspended in stalls so their feet never have to support themselves by touching the ground. It is the most tender, most tasty beef on the planet. It's even more expensive in yen than in dollars.




    you got that all screwed up{lol}

    there is bob veal that is a new born calf, then there is milk,and grain fed veal, that matures to typically 4-5 months, they are no longer suspended but kept in hutch stalls on heavy straw, most veal are bulls dues to the little need other than breeding for bulls

    kobe beef can be fed beer in their diet, and are free range


    a kobe beef steak can run 300 bucks in a restaurant, if i pay 300 bucks for some flesh, she better be hot, and love me long time
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Costco has been selling Wagyu beef Jerkey recently - it is real good.

    I have only had Wagyu beef from Allen Brothers, never bought real Kobe beef when I was over there. I really like the Wagyu beef, but the small step up from some Harris Ranch beef just can't justify the huge price difference for me. Kinda like having one of those FuFu drinks with the gold leaf in it - not enough return for my money.

    On the many occasions that I was "over there", I was buying, er, renting another kinda meat! That was long, long ago, far away, and represents one of the many excesses of my youth.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Kobe Beef. Isnt that what got Kobe bryant in trouble?
  • kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    I had small portions as a part of Sashimi, which is the opening course in a formal Japanese meal. The flavor and texture of the beef was excellent but I doubt that I'd ever order a large steak ($$$) and make a meal of it.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    Kobe Beef. Isnt that what got Kobe bryant in trouble?


    go ahead but i'd prefer kobe tai


    kobe-tai-f.jpg

    potd_0383.jpg
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you lived in a meat starved country and only got to eat red meat 3 or 4 times a year it would make more sense. Here in the good old USA we can have red meat anytime so why waste the money for a greasy steak. Next time you have a good steak thank me and the rest of the beef producers for providing everyone with such a prodigious supply of food.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Won't eat kobe beef. Pate' fois-gras either. Won't support the inhumane treatment of the animals during production. After all, I won't let an animal suffer unnecessarily during a hunt...it's just not in me. So, no sale. Joe

    EDIT: 1911..I read reports years ago of the method of producing the beef which was a little more detailed than what P3 said in his post on the subject (near the top). Lots of cattle die due to lung edema, etc. because they can't move. It's just not for me, that's all. Joe
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by givette
    Won't eat kobe beef. Pate' fois-gras either. Won't support the inhumane treatment of the animals during production. After all, I won't let an animal suffer unnecessarily during a hunt...it's just not in me. So, no sale. Joe


    why do you say kobe beef is inhumane?
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You buy beef at Walmart and other large chain groceries? Man that mass produced beef SUCKS! All the beef we buy is raised within 50 miles of here and when you buy it, it has not been dead for more than a week and never frozen. We have places like Peachys fresh meats and a few other family owned shops that kill, butcher and sell locally raised beef. That crap you buy at grocery stores is just that, crap! Ohh and let's not forget all the drugs pumped into the beef that gets run thru those mass slaughter houses, chemicaly enhanced beef that has been hanging for a week then transported frozen in a truck then stored at a wharehouse before even making it to the store shelves, you guys call that good beef? Buncha damn city slickers you are!
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    What they're selling isn't what most people think of when they hear the term Kobe beef. That only comes from the area around the city of Kobe, where they raise a breed called "kuroge Wagyu" and feed them sake mash to richen the meat. These cattle are kept penned and pampered throughout their adult lives to cut down muscle development. There are only a small number of farms in Japan that produce this type of meat and it's actually even more expensive than what you're seeing here.

    What this outfit is selling is just US produced beef from the same breed of cattle. As a matter of fact, there's a farm not far from me that raises Wagyu. They aren't fed mash or kept penned in this country. Due to the breed this meat is rich and heavily marbled, but it still isn't the real thing.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 14,524
    edited November -1
    I bought my beef EXCLUSIVELY at Hy Vee Food Stores in Iowa and Nebraska. I usually went to the CASE and didn't buy out of the cooler. The best cuts were always in the case.
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Yes Kobe beef is worth the price, if it really is Kobe beef. Not Kobe style raised in Argentina.
Sign In or Register to comment.