In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Presidential Statement on Gay Marriages

RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
President Bush announces he supports a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage.

Bush supports same-sex marriage ban amendment
President has called same-sex marriage troubling
Tuesday, February 24, 2004 Posted: 10:55 AM EST (1555 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush announced Tuesday he supports a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, saying the nation must "prevent the meaning of marriage from being changed forever."

As recently as last week, Bush repeated his belief that marriage should be restricted to heterosexual couples. (Full story)

He added that he was "troubled" by legal decisions in Massachusetts that could clear the way for same-sex marriage -- and the decision by San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom this month to defy state law and order the county clerk to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

Thousands of couples have taken advantage. (California high court may get same-sex marriage)

Last week, Bush declined to say whether he is any closer to backing a constitutional ban on such vows.

"I have watched carefully what's happening in San Francisco, where licenses were being issued, even though the law states otherwise," Bush said. "I have consistently stated that I'll support law to protect marriage between a man and a woman. Obviously these events are influencing my decision."

"I am watching very carefully, but I am troubled by what I've seen," Bush said.

In his State of the Union speech last month, Bush has addressed same-sex marriage, saying, "our nation must defend the sanctity of marriage."

He stopped short of endorsing a constitutional amendment that would ban marriages for gay and lesbian couples, as social conservative groups had hoped.

Instead, Bush said, "if judges insist on forcing their arbitrary will upon the people, the only alternative left to the people would be the constitutional process."

Jacksonville.gif
sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
http://www.awbansunset.com/
Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.

Comments

• ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    At least he has the balls to maintain a position on this, instead of trying to make everyone happy. And I think that the majority of Americans do not approve of homosexuals in general. Hopefully that ban goes through.

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Surprising to me I hear a lot of people saying that there is nothing wrong with it and the gays should not be descriminated against as second class citizens.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
  • trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to say that I agree with his decision.Its not natural and they shouldnt be allowed the same benefits as a man and a woman who are married.Thats my opinion though.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RugerNiner
    President Bush announces he supports a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage.....

.....He stopped short of endorsing a constitutional amendment that would ban marriages for gay and lesbian couples, as social conservative groups had hoped.

Instead, Bush said, "if judges insist on forcing their arbitrary will upon the people, the only alternative left to the people would be the constitutional process."

I am confused. Did he "announce that he supports a constitutional amendment to ban same sex marriage, or did he "stop short of endorsing a constitutional amendment that would ban same sex marriages"? Which one is it??

I found the "if judges insist on forcing their arbitrary will upon the people, the only alternative left to the people would be the constitutional process." most interesting. I did not see the speech in its entirety, so I have to ask is he saying that the "constitutional process" is a constitutional convention, or is he saying something else. Because the existing constitution has a "constitutional process" that would solve the problem of "judges insisting on forcing their arbitrary will upon the people". It is right there in article 3 section 2, and what it says is that congress can prohibit the courts from getting in the business of marriage, be it homosexual marriage, or normal marriage. We do not need a new amendment, the constitution is fine the way it is. THe problem is that the people(congress), refuses to exercise the authority that the constitution gives it. Ya dont like gay marriages, you dont like the idea that a gay mariage performed in one state would be forced upon you in another state? Tell your congressman to exercise his authority and prohibit the courts from hearing such cases. The solution to this problem is already in the constitution-another amendment is not only unecessary, but dangerous.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.cnn.com/

Jacksonville.gif
    sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The constitution and this gay marriage deal in Kal is upsetting. If you listen to this mayor and his supporters they are thumbing their noses at the law to do what they feel is protected by the constituion. They feel they are 100% right in doing this because of the constituion. Now if he can get away with what he is doing because of the constitution what say he on other sensitive constitutional rights? Now you have president Bush wanting an ammendment to prohibit same sex marriages, you also have Gov Swartzenegger(SP?) wanting an ammendment to allow him and others to run for president. What is to keep this fresh batch of possible constitutional ammendments from upsetting some of the ammendments already in place? I see nothing but bad coming from this. Prohibiting gay marriage is fine but tampering with the document that protects us could have damning results.

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • BlackieBoogerBlackieBooger Member Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Senator Santorium of Pennsylvania previously said that a constitutional amendment might bb necessaty. At the time a lot of people though called him a bigot and that one wasn't needed. Looks like some of these people are changing their tunes now that they see all these illegal marriages taking place and these rogue left wing liberal judges trying to tell the people that the law should provide for homosexual marriages according to due process. This is the kind of judicary mess Clinton left behind with all his liberal judge appointees.

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, not liberty to purchase power."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1785
    123div.gif
  • Smokeeater 38Smokeeater 38 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    My question is does everyone think that just by banning their marriages that they will stop being gay?

I don't see that it is going to help anyone by making a ban on gay marriages.

Get the job done and come home safe guys.

I rush in where others flee.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smokeeater 38
    My question is does everyone think that just by banning their marriages that they will stop being gay?

That is completely irrelevant

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Partial quote:

"....they are thumbing their noses at the law to do what they feel is protected by the constituion."

Yep. And if, oh, I dunno, say some gun owners tried the same trick, how long do you think it'd be before the fire and brimstone would be poured down on their heads?

There's "Constitutional rights", and "Constitutional rights", if you know what I mean...

It would be interesting---and perhaps useful---to know how many gays support the Second Amendment and how many don't, then compare those figures or percentages to how many gun owners support gay rights, and how many don't.

You spit on MY rights, don't expect me to support YOURS.

Quid pro quo, anyone?
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just as long as the ban does not expire at sun set. [;)] [:D]

gun.gif
    Those who live by the
    sword get shot by those who don't.

[img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
    edited November -1
    trstone, that is kinda what I was getting at also. Bill O'Reiley asked a former governor of Kal that was saying he wouldn't interfere with the mayor how he would feel if the mayor started handing out carry permits since the law violates the 2nd ammendment if he would feel the same way, the former governor wouldn't comment.it is funny in the political world how some rights are held higher than others.

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo
    quote:Originally posted by Smokeeater 38

That is completely irrelevant

How is it "completely irrelevant"?

Why would anyone do something if it does not help at least one person?

What good would a ban do for anyone gay or straight?

I fail to see how a ban on gay marriage would help anyone. I think it is only a way for people to hurt someone or a group that they hate.

I would like to hear what good it would do.

• drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was listening to Rush this around noon today. A lady called in and made the point that most of the states/towns don't follow the constitution as it is, ie, they walk all over the 2nd Amendment. Will creating a amendment to the Constitution that defines marriage really do anything?

Regards,
    190191.gif
    edited November -1
    Smokeeater, it cheapens the institution of marraige and makes a mockery of what it has stood for since the beginning. I call gay marraiges a slap in the face to the rest of the world who belives that marraiges should be between man and woman. This is doing mothing but degrading society even further. And why in the hell should the rest of the country be forced to accept something that only a small percentage of the people want. It is not wanted by the majority and we have a small group of people who feel that they should rub in our faces the things we do not like. The morals of this country has gone down the flusher and this kind of crap proves it! If this was put on a nationwide ballot we would see that the people do not want this. The only ones who really want it to happen are the gays themselves and the politicians who will benifit from catering to them. it is sick, it is disgusting and the thought that some think it is acceptable is an outrage!

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs
    I was listening to Rush this around noon today. A lady called in and made the point that most of the states/towns don't follow the constitution as it is, ie, they walk all over the 2nd Amendment. Will creating a amendment to the Constitution that defines marriage really do anything?

Bingo!!! It would be another part of the constitution that would be ignored. The constitution as it is today allows the people to decide these issues. Another amendment is not only unecessary, it is dangerous. I just assume the people decide the issue of marriage. If Vermont wants gay marriage? Fine. If Massachusettes wants gay marriage? FIne. And if the people of the other states DO NOT want gay marriage? Fine.

-Jimmy the cheese man
    edited November -1
    7mm nut,

Having never been married I don't have the feelings about marriage that many of you do. I can see why you would not like anything that cheapens something that you believe in. I am trying to imagine how I would feel if something that I was interested or involved with was facing a change similar as this. I would probably not like it and would fight it for all I was worth.

Having been friends for a few years now with 2 girls that are gay I have been around many of their other friends that are gay. I do not think of my friends as gay anymore, they are just my friends. I don't care for it when a gay couple, or straight couple for that matter, is all over each other in public or in front of me. This is something that I don't care to see.

I have also worked with and for gays in the past. I have not had any problems with them. They have paid me on time and have not hit on me.

I live in a smaller town but we have a private university here that I attended and then I worked for. There are many gays that are employed there as coaches so I have been around them a fair amount.

• trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Partial quote:

"And why in the hell should the rest of the country be forced to accept something that only a small percentage of the people want. It is not wanted by the majority and we have a small group of people who feel that they should rub in our faces the things we do not like."

Why? Because we are SUPPOSED to be living in a Constitutional Republic, NOT a "democracy" where "the majority rules". Problem is, too many people believe the reverse---that in America, the "majority makes the rules". One of the most fundamental purposes of having a Constitution and a republic was, by intention of the Founding Fathers, to protect the people's rights AGAINST "rule by majority".
    edited November -1
    trstone, under your argument there are far better things to be considered then this! We gun owners are losing fast, fight for us! This deal in California is sickeing in how they are fighting the battle, we have been fighting it for how long and any attempt by us in the manner in which they are doing it would end up with many of us dead or in prison!

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trstone
    Partial quote:

"And why in the hell should the rest of the country be forced to accept something that only a small percentage of the people want. It is not wanted by the majority and we have a small group of people who feel that they should rub in our faces the things we do not like."

Why? Because we are SUPPOSED to be living in a Constitutional Republic, NOT a "democracy" where "the majority rules". Problem is, too many people believe the reverse---that in America, the "majority makes the rules". One of the most fundamental purposes of having a Constitution and a republic was, by intention of the Founding Fathers, to protect the people's rights AGAINST "rule by majority".

Not really, but it sounds good.
    "THE FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLE OF OUR CONSTITUTION ENJOINS THAT THE WILL OF THE MAJORITY SHALL PREVAIL."
    -George Washington

-Jimmy the cheese man
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Glad to see it, thanks for the update

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • hondohondo Member Posts: 181 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sen Ted Kennedy made a speech on the Senate floor today riping Bush and his belief that marriage should be between a man and a women. That settles it for me. If Kennedy is against it Iam for it.....Hondo
  • rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    The institution of marriage has already been trivialized. Witness the 50% divorce rate in recent decades. We white, middle-class, heterosexuals have done a fair enough job screwing that one up.

JOIN PETA! (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS) I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to have a salad and spring water!
  • flat8flat8 Member Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is where I stand. . . .

I could absolutely care less what anyone does in thier own bedrooms. If you want to have a sexual relationship with a member of the same sex, go for it. Just don't expect me to applaud or defend you. In fact, don't expect me to even care, because I really don't give a d#mn.

But why call it marriage? Marriage is not an "entitlement" that everybody deserves. Marriage is a union between a man and a woman. It is the core foundation of our society and all of civilization for thousands of years. Don't change a clear, black and white definition to suite your own agenda. A relationship between a man and a woman cannot be classified as "homosexual" any more than a gay couple can be classified as "married." You want your "partnerships" or "civil unions", fine - but by definition a marriage is a promise between a man and a woman. Pick up a Websters dictionary.

As far as the Kalifornia gays using the Constitution to defend thier lawless actions, I wonder how the media would feel if all us gun owners started carrying 24-7, the government's "permission" be damned? How about if we started converting semi's to full-auto? What about installing a silencer on your post-AWB AK? You know what would happen . . the constitution wouldn't apply to us, even though our justification for ANY of the above actions is MUCH, MUCH more clearly valid than that of the gays running out to the courthouse in Kalifornia. Heck, our "right" IS stated in black and white - despite the flowery legalize the courts try to spin when discussing the Second.

Constitutional right for Ted to marry Bob . . . give me a break.
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    sorry again,....previous post by rcrx 2, was posted by his "old lady"....dang, I hate when I do that....

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King
  • FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rcrxmike_2
    We white, middle-class, heterosexuals have done a fair enough job screwing that one up.

What does white and middle class have to do with the trivilization (sp?) of marriage??

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • Patrick OdlePatrick Odle Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please less not have anyone dumb enough to use
    the term gay-marriage. Stop now go directly
    to your dictionary and look up marriage.
    It will not refer to two dogs or two onageres
    hooking up.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Smoke, aside from the idea itself, my biggest problem with it is that the homo couples will have the same benefits (tax status, health care, etc) as married. In the end this will likely rase our taxes and health care costs.
    I really hate to get into political posts, I rarely read 'em, so I don't know why I checked here.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • schotzi1schotzi1 Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why does all this "GAY" have to be so public? Why can't they just "do it in the closet"? I am SICK of even hearing about it! Do I run around with a "hetrosexual" sticker on my car? NO! Or should I? NO! When will this stop? So can I marry my female SHEEP? Well, she is a girl.

What is the big deal about marriage then.....you can always get a divorce.

I don't mean to get anyone MAD. I am just tired of it being the topic of the day (not necesarilly here but on the TV and the radio).

"meet me in Margaritaville"
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    I merely meant, that under any other circumstances the issue of what 'marriage' is or what constitutes a 'family' is a non-issue. I was married for 11 years to a man who I had 2 children with, who owes his children thousands of dollars in child support in arrears since he abandoned them. I just spent the weekend trying to obtain information from another state about a man who apparently perpetrated and 'did time' for sexually abusing 2 little girls in that state, only to be told that I could not access this information because "these 'citizens'have rights". I'm sorry, I don't care what Bob and Ted down the street are doing, apparently the government has got them covered.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King