In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone ever try Amazoy Zoysia grass?

RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
edited April 2005 in General Discussion
I need to seed my lawn soon, it is just gravel now, but needs loam. My GF father told me about this stuff, sounds great. Does anyone have any experience with it?

http://www1.zoysiafarms.com/

rug.jpg

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin 1759

Comments

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,017 ******
    edited November -1
    Zero experience with it, but consider one of its main selling points. It requires little water and little mowing. That tells me it will grow very slowly and cover very slowly.

Nobody around here has a zoysia lawn. I don't remember ever hearing Neil Sperry talk about it on the radio. He recommends either common Bermuda or St. Augustine for lawns in NE Texas.

I have seen the full-page ads for zoysia plugs. Makes it look real easy. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. Full-page ads for grass, fast-growing trees and the like are usually from companies in the north, and I am in Texas, so I pay little attention to them.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    I tried some about five or six years ago on a small area of my lawn just to see how it would do.I'm in Central Texas,so it gets plenty hot here in the the summer time.I spread the plugs out farther than they instructed,but what the heck,I had a decent stand of bermuda anyway.I watered and everything else they recommended for that first year and then let it go.

I looked at it the other day and all I can find is bermuda.(which does very well in this part of the country,BTW.[;)])

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMHO, don't waste your money. I'm in SW Arkansas and tried the zoysia plugs on a small area of my yard. I tilled in some compost and plugged it according to the instructions, watered and weeded it for about three months. Surprise! It died anyway. One good thing is that the centipede around it loved the rich soil I created and has covered the spot very nicely.[:)]

F&AM, NRA Life (25 yrs)
    "The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion."
    Edmund Burke (1729-97)
  • Options
    beantolebeantole Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, I planted it everywhere in Illinois 15 years ago. I planted little
    one inch square plugs as directed at first but then realized it would take 3 days to plant it so I began using 6-8 inch squares of it. I placed them about 6-8 feet apart. I watered them regularly the first year. Here is what happens: You won't notice much for 3-4 years and then you will see it spreading very slowly. At the end of 10 years It was taking over my yard and beautiful!! Strong! Thick! Drought resistant. Kills other weeds too. We then moved to the country and left ourr beautiful zoysia (sp?) grass behind. My neighbor here has a large patch that is beautiful. If you can stick out the 10 years it takes to spread it is great grass!!

Bruce
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I spent the money for it at two different places, and it never took as good as they said it would ;O(

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I would go with rolled SOD, instant lawn..

yo-yo.gif
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I struggled with it for about three years and spent the family fortune on it. I have a few small patches that haven't been choked out yet. If you do it right and get lucky, it's probably a good grass, but I didn't have much luck with it.

GBsig01.jpg
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    It just gave me a headache.[:D]

MOLON LABE!
    allahSortbs.jpg
    An evil tree bears evil fruit. You can destroy as much fruit as you want, but it will always grow back, and it will always be evil.

Tear the tree out of the ground by the roots and burn it. Burn it to ash and grind out the embers with your boot until there's nothing left. Not a single spark. Not a single seed.
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I planted zoysia grass plugs in my back yard several years ago because in the heavy clay soil that I had regular grass would not grow. It took 2 or 3 years for it to really get going but I now have a great back yard now. The stuff is still spreading. It is tough as nails(I park my truck on it all the time and it doesn't phase it), it is very drought resistant, cold weather doesn't bother it, and best of all you don't have to mow it very often(two or three times a year is plenty). The local soccor association planted it on there fields because regular grass would not stand up to the wear of playing several games a week on it. My wife likes it because it is so thick that it feels like you are walking on a thick carpet. I love the stuff.
  • Options
    65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No. But I hear good things.

" Those who give up a little freedom for temporary security, deserve neither freedom nor security "
    - Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have both plugged it and sodded it some years back. In the right climates it does extremely well, even against that nasty Bermuda. It does brown in the winter and in some of the up-scale neighborhoods they sprayed it green. A little slower than Bermuda to get established (but does not have roots and runners 8 feet in the ground like Bermuda). When established it tends to choke weeks and volunteer grasses. I liked it, but suggest if you are going to plug it, use 12"x12" plugs to get it established faster.
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigtire
    It just gave me a headache.[:D]

MOLON LABE!
    allahSortbs.jpg
    An evil tree bears evil fruit. You can destroy as much fruit as you want, but it will always grow back, and it will always be evil.

Tear the tree out of the ground by the roots and burn it. Burn it to ash and grind out the embers with your boot until there's nothing left. Not a single spark. Not a single seed.

...and wicked munchies...[8D]

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King