In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

mythical creatures of your state.

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2014 in General Discussion
Here in NJ, we have the Jersey Devil. It is believed to be half horse/devil and lives and roams the NJ pine barrens. There are books and photos of it and drawling from what people perceive it to look like. You would have to look it up to see. Pretty cool history on it.

What creature lives in your home state. oak

[img][/img]http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt248/oak41mag/jersey-devil.jpg
«1

Comments

  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oakie
    What creature lives in your home state. oak


    My first ex wife. Don
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12
    quote:Originally posted by Oakie
    What creature lives in your home state. oak


    My first ex wife. Don


    I have one too[xx(]
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Big foot of course.

    And from my Home town of Lancaster Calif.

    tumblr_ljx73xOeHr1qf6qh6o1_500.jpg
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An Honest Politician...
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in AZ we have Sand Trout. Not really mythical, as they do exist!

    [8D]

    Merc
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Carson Washington is the home of Big Foot. He's the one without the hat.
    W.D.
    photo365.JPG
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,981 ******
    edited November -1
    Rhinelander, Wi. has the "Hodag"
  • Options
    jwhardingjwharding Member Posts: 2,897 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Black panther.
    Jw
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    Big foot of course.

    And from my Home town of Lancaster Calif.

    tumblr_ljx73xOeHr1qf6qh6o1_500.jpg



    Wow, the rare Red Tail Sabre Tooth Jack-a-Lope. Haven't seen one I many years.
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    Carson Washington is the home of Big Foot. He's the one without the hat.
    W.D.
    photo365.JPG

    Nice Apron, WD. That tie string around the middle must have some length to it. [;)][:0][:D]
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    Out here it is Big Foot country, stories of the old guy being in the San Bernardino national forest go back over 100 years and he is part of the ancient lore of the local native tribes.

    Even some of the old racers I know tell stories of what they called the Fontana Dragstrip Monster that would be seen during the late hours at the track, usually after a few beers. This happened during the 60's and the guys that saw it say that it was big foot.
  • Options
    topdadtopdad Member Posts: 3,408 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We got them there danged ol skunk apes runnin round the swamps down here.[;)]
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Big Foot

    and Cabbits half rabbit and half cat
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Virginia has Chessy. The American cousin of Loch Ness's Nessy, hangs out in the Chesapeake Bay.
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,396 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With regard to the "Jersey Devil", I'm pretty sure that I was married to his sister for a while.

    With regard to the "Sixties", All manner of strange things where seen in the sixties ..... Hell, that's when I married the the Devil's sister.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    Rhinelander, Wi. has the "Hodag"





    [img][/img]MVC-AAAAHODAG.jpg
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,683 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in Illinois we have the "Chicago Machine"....it is a creature that steals and devours all the resources in its path. Lots of sighting all around Illinois, however there have been sightings as far away as Washington DC....[}:)]
  • Options
    TcattTcatt Member Posts: 342 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A winning Football Coach at the University or Tennessee
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,785 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by William81
    Here in Illinois we have the "Chicago Machine"....it is a creature that steals and devours all the resources in its path. Lots of sighting all around Illinois, however there have been sightings as far away as Washington DC....[}:)]


    Sadly it is not mythical but real,,and very dangerous, corrupt, lieing, cheating stealing,treasoness,money eating, money stuffing animal-
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,995 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to the X-Files, we have Chupacabra. No one ever explained how a Puerto Rican myth became a Mexican monster.


    Merc, show me a sand trout...
  • Options
    800fthi800fthi Member Posts: 196
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mercury
    Here in AZ we have Sand Trout. Not really mythical, as they do exist!

    [8D]

    Merc
    In Tucson we have Sand Bass. You drive down the Rillito river, which is bone dry, in a jeep dragging a rubber frog with a line. They have one eye which sticks out of the sand on a stalk on top of their head.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,293 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We don't have any mythical creatures up here in the NC mountains. We ought to, though, these are some spooky looking mountains.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,293 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1024px-Hodag_002_zps00bd7522.jpg

    The Wisconsin Hodag
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    We don't have any mythical creatures up here in the NC mountains. We ought to, though, these are some spooky looking mountains.



    tree+creature+color+sketch3+sm.jpg
  • Options
    JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have the Chupacabras.

    He Dog can attest.
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    New York State, " Champ", the Lake Champlain monster. Looks like Nessie from Loch Ness in Scotland."
  • Options
    use enough gunuse enough gun Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only snow snakes and jackalopes.Dave[:D]
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been 21 years in Tenn. Have yet to see a virgin 16 yo girl.
    Pregnant-teens.jpg
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Tennessee back in the old days any animal that made a sound that you couldn't identify was probably a Wampus Cat.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will tell you one story as relayed to me.My father and his friend, Jack Dooble, a NJ state trooper, were out hunting deer at night[:0]Ok, I know that is against the law, but back in the 60's, that is how we fed our families. Anyway, they were hunting by Oswego Lake in Chatsworth NJ, by a bridge going over a small steam. They got down the embankment and were heading towards an old dry lake bed where the deer fed.They heard some noise ahead of them and shined their flash lights. All they saw was dark red eyes and something growling and braking small trees and branches. They took off running all the way back to my fathers jeep with this thing in hot pursuit. They got to the jeep and turned around and emptied their shotguns at the noise. It keep coming and growling, so they got in the jeep and took off. They never went back there again at night. Now I think this was just a story to scare us kids when we were younger, but my father still tells everyone this story and with a straight face. He swears it is the truth.[;)] He sometimes come on here and his call sign is coyote222. I have heard different stories of the Jersey devil, but this one has never changed. They actually have books written about the Jersey devil. Just relaying the story as told to me and take it with a grain of salt as I personally think it was just that, a story.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dads3040
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    Carson Washington is the home of Big Foot. He's the one without the hat.
    W.D.
    photo365.JPG

    Nice Apron, WD. That tie string around the middle must have some length to it. [;)][:0][:D]


    Extra long there Chris, ol' Foot and I where cooking Huckleberry hotcakes for Big Foot Days breakfast.
    W.D.
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fur-bearing Trout.


    8358983532_f6e42d7aa3_z.jpg
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    e3mrke3mrk Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have the Ohio Grass Man here. I've never seen Him but I saw some Pictures of some Footprints in the Mud of the Black River in Lorain.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,690 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had to cheat as I did not Ohio had one ,
    I do remember back in the 60's as a kid the evening news and people seeing bigfoot and a small out break of paranoia with the neighborhood even though we lived in town not the most likely place for bigfoot, it still had people going

    " A Guide to the Spooky Scary Secret Monsters of Every State"

    http://www.theawl.com/2012/10/a-spooky-scary-secret-monster-in-every-state
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    quote:Originally posted by Dads3040
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    Carson Washington is the home of Big Foot. He's the one without the hat.
    W.D.
    photo365.JPG

    Nice Apron, WD. That tie string around the middle must have some length to it. [;)][:0][:D]


    Extra long there Chris, ol' Foot and I where cooking Huckleberry hotcakes for Big Foot Days breakfast.
    W.D.

    Now that sounds like an event I ought to get on my schedule. When is it?
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Here in South Carolina it would be a ''Legal Mexican'' [:0]
  • Options
    PacManPacMan Member Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Goatman here in Denton. This bridge used to be the only way for us to get over to Hickory Creek. Preety neat ol bridge. Now they built a new bridge and Old Alton Bridge is no longer open to vehicle traffic.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIrnzzTmP0s
  • Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oakie
    I will tell you one story as relayed to me.My father and his friend, Jack Dooble, a NJ state trooper, were out hunting deer at night[:0]Ok, I know that is against the law, but back in the 60's, that is how we fed our families. Anyway, they were hunting by Oswego Lake in Chatsworth NJ, by a bridge going over a small steam. They got down the embankment and were heading towards an old dry lake bed where the deer fed.They heard some noise ahead of them and shined their flash lights. All they saw was dark red eyes and something growling and braking small trees and branches. They took off running all the way back to my fathers jeep with this thing in hot pursuit. They got to the jeep and turned around and emptied their shotguns at the noise. It keep coming and growling, so they got in the jeep and took off. They never went back there again at night. Now I think this was just a story to scare us kids when we were younger, but my father still tells everyone this story and with a straight face. He swears it is the truth.[;)] He sometimes come on here and his call sign is coyote222. I have heard different stories of the Jersey devil, but this one has never changed. They actually have books written about the Jersey devil. Just relaying the story as told to me and take it with a grain of salt as I personally think it was just that, a story.


    HaHaHa!!! Funny - My dad always told us almost the EXACT same story, except his version ended with a big BANG on the rear of the car as they pulled out and large "fist size dents" left on the trunk. [:D]
  • Options
    PacManPacMan Member Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't forget about the DonkeyLady in San Antonio....
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in eastern NC it would be the WAMPUSCAT a half-man half -cat creature in the swampy areas
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
Sign In or Register to comment.