In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What's with perfume anyway?

bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I understand to a degree the use of the stinking stuff back before the days of indoor plumbing and personal hygiene, but why do women and even men persist in dousing themselves with sinus burning, eye watering, olfactory depriving concoctions. I always suspect that the offending individual simply forgot to shower. I'd rather be subjected to the body odor of a portugese fisherman than the fifty dollar an ounce fifi piss they call "fragrance".
I recall an interview with Richard Prior after his first trip to Africa. After riding around in a cab for two hours, with his Old Opice or whatever on, seeing some sights and smelling the sweat and b.o. of the cabbie until he could take no more he asked the translator if all Africans stank like that. The translator laughed and replied that the driver didn't want him in his cab anymore because Prior stank and wondered if all Americans smelled that offensive.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems

Comments

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started sneezing in Church one Sunday and couldn't stop. Woman in next pew had on about 10 times too much perfume. I finally got up and went outside.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    You guys are behind the times; move somewhere more cosmopolitan like Santa Fe! NM's capital city passed an ordinance years ago, banning the use/overuse of "offensive, foreign-smelling, or irritating cologne, perfume, after shave, toilet water or body spray" in public buildings due to the reek of patchouli overcoming a city counselor.
    Now, it just smells like politics.

If you know it all; you must have been listening.<br>WEAR EAR PROTECTION!
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    Sorry BDJ, but I love the the smell of a properly scented woman. Many times while working(commercial carpentry), it was only the smell coming throught he air that told me to stop what I was doing and look, just in time to see a pretty and great smelling young lady go by. It makes me appreciate perfume.[:)]

"If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace" -Thomas Paine

If the people have become so apathetic that they will not vote out all the liberal scum (republican and democrat alike), the only solution is Constitutional Convention II the sequel. Let's get it right this time.
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    It's not the perfume itself that is offensive (although some like Tabu and Emereaud I could do without). The idea behind perfume is to use it sparingly, in the proper places,behind the ears, the base of the throat, you get the idea. Just a dab in a strategic location, just enough that you get a wiff of it, and then you have to get closer to get another wiff, and then another and then another... Unfortunately most women,and men, too, use a sledgehammer instead of a wink to get your attention. Personally, I'm not terribly fond of most of the Channels, and Calvin Kleins out on the market. I find that a concoction of lavender and palrosa oil is very soothing and fresh during the day, and for that romantic evening, jasmine,vanilla and ylang-ylang. It's the hippie-chick in me

PS I used to work behind the perfume counter at a local department store. Around September-October, at least one man a day would come in to buy Tabu. Nobody ever buys the stuff, except for the occasional Gramma, so I asked a gentleman one day who it was for. His reply?..."Deer lure"....True story....

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King
  • bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would guess that just a little is there to entice someone close to be drawn in.

Where the bather is trolling for anything and everthing.[:D]

There olfactory nerve may be so shot that they cant smell it till they do splash on half a bottle.

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I actually only use cologne after I shower, if you try to cover up a stench with cologne they mix together and smell like dog piss.

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In a restaurant yesterday a lady walked by that must have taken a bath in the stuff.
    Had to wait for the air to clear, before we could even eat.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why do flowers have a scent ...

...to attract bees

Some flowers, to me, stink to high heaven, but still there are those bees.

I am hyper sensitive to these things, have trouble breathing if I walked through the part of the store where they have all of the stuff. But my wife has a Lavender (whatever) that I really like so this bee goes to that flower[:D]

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I guess one man's fragrance is another man's stench.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigdaddyjunior
    I guess one man's fragrance is another man's stench.

Nice summation of our two-party system.
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometimes a bouguet makes promises it cannot keep.

Clouder..
  • zr700zr700 Member Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only women who wear that much ar the ones who have something to hide or cover up

Jason
    Proud NRA member
    "The constitutions of most of our states assert that all power is inherent in the people; that...it is there right and duty to be at all times armed."
    Thomas Jefferson 1824
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mongo like dolly with nice perfume nrrrrgggghhhhh!
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's like makeup. A woman with good sense can apply either quite tastefully. The rest look like Tammy-Fae Baker.

A woman that can apply "Touch" by Fred Hayman properly would have me wrapped around here pinky finger for at least one night. Vanilla Musk is a close second but that's another story.
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    I won't give a guy a ride to the job site 30 miles away because his deoderant has a stench (scent) I can't stand.

I just told him that the ride was my "down time", the only time I usually had to relax and reflect.
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    I just love these sensitive topics....I was always slayed by the amounts of money women would cough up at the cosmetics counter in a vain attempt to stop time and gravity. 15 bucks a pop for a tube of lipstick, 75 bucks for face cream,...unreal....

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King