In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The war on Christmas- are you ready?!

FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
edited November 2006 in General Discussion
Lites are up and on- More going up this weekend.[:D][}:)][;)][8D]

Comments

• Options
    Huntingnerd33Huntingnerd33 Member Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The more the brighter [:D]
  • Options
    kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    My next door neighbor (on the right) is a lighting contractor so I gave up any hope long ago of waging (much less winning) a battle of Christmas lights with that guy.
  • Options
    oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    most of the outside stuff was done saturday, untill the sife and daughter walk into a store and see something else of course!
    told the two of them if they put any more lights out there the pilots will be useing our place as a guide to the airport at night!
    their response was to point out some new lighted outdoor gizmo in one of the store fliers...im doomed!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Chicago is the anti-Christ city this year firing the first salvo.[:D] No Nativity displays allowed in the city. (as reported) Not sure if it's true.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...lights everywhere around here...[^]

Wallie World had a big mucky muck on last week saying flat out, "We learned our lesson last year, we lost money, we're wishing everyone a Merry Christmas this year".
    ...Best Buy is into the Happy Holiday crap again this year...at this point. I find it so pathetic that saying Merry Christmas has fallen into the grasp of the PC crowd...[xx(]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • Options
    KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    personally I don't see why "Merry Christmas" is politically incorrect.
    I am not very religious, never was, but our family always celebrated Christmas. It is part of our culture as people of European descent. I thought we were supposed to respect and embrace all cultures [;)]
    The fact is that the vast majority of Americans are either Christian or raised in a Christian/European tradition, so I really don't see what the problem is.

Heck, we all celebrate Thanksgiving, but I bet that only a small minority are descendants of the Pilgrims [:D]
  • Options
    Slow_HandSlow_Hand Member Posts: 2,835
    edited November -1
    We can thank all of the retailers, businesses, the entertainment industry et al who summarily killed Christmas by turning it into a secular holiday synonymous with spending money, buying gifts and self-indulgence of some sort.
  • Options
    CameroonCameroon Member Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember when there was an advertisement saying "Merry X-Mas".
    Thought my Mother was going to have a heart attack. My Father said
    society was going down hill fast.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    grinch_01.jpg

(AgapePress) - The city of Chicago's claim that sponsorship of a German-American Christmas festival by the studio releasing The Nativity Story movie would be insensitive to other religions is being called "politically correct nonsense" by a women's public-policy group.

Lanier Swann is director of government relations for Concerned Women for America, a conservative policy group based in Washington, DC. She calls the accusation "unbelievable" that ads posted for a new movie portraying the life of the very person the Christkindlmarket Festival celebrates could be insensitive to believers of faith other than Christianity. As well, the threat from the city to remove its support of the festival unless New Line Cinema's movie was removed as an official sponsor.

"The mayor [of Chicago, Richard M. Daley] did release a brief statement saying that he really felt it wasn't appropriate advertising," Swann notes. It is a sad state of affairs in America, she says, when offense is more easily found in ads for a theatrical Nativity story than for, say, Victoria's Secret, a lingerie retailer often criticized by pro-family groups for its ads and displays featuring scantily clad women.

"Really, I'm so curious to know what the mayor of Chicago finds appropriate," Swann adds.

CWA says the trend of being offended by the mere mention of Christ is an "overdone clich?." And Swann says not only is the rationale behind the statement politically correct nonsense, but the threat to remove city support could be a possible violation of the Illinois Human Rights Act.

"You see this entire Christmas event covered in Christmas decorations, with a Nativity scene right in the middle of it, and yet they're worried about offending festival-goers by an ad on the true meaning of Christmas," she explains. "The whole thing, honestly, just seems so lacking in terms of logic."

Meanwhile, a New Line Cinema spokeswoman says the Chicago festival is the only instance in its nationwide publicity campaign for The Nativity Story where its sponsorship was turned down.
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    In my younger years, I worked in an upscale department store, first in the jewelry department, then in cosmetics.
    Personally, I got pretty used to saying "Happy Holidays", because our community has an apparently rather sizable Jewish population.
    Not a big deal, man. I never took it personally, and neither did the occasional Jewish person who wished "Merry Christmas" onto, until I was told by my Jewish co-worker that they were Jewish. Then I felt like a shmuck.
    It's a holiday. Enjoy.
    Say "Happy Holiday" to me. I won't be offended.