In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Got Me Again!!! How 'bout you???

Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Some may recall that a couple days back I made a post asking folks about the growing quantity of posts for assistance by "newbies" that delt with rare or obscure firearms. In that post I asked for input on others feelings about trying to help only to have the posters fade out, and that my observations were that this happened most often with people that had basically the bare minimum of info. in their profies.

Well I got some super answers back and my flagging commitment to help was renewed.

Then SHAZAM it happens again. New member asks question on dating a Western Field Model 30. Don't matter that it is a "Branded" inexpensive shooter, fella asked a question. Couldn't find much of anything except in Bluebook where I crossed the model to a Stevens Mod. 520 and with that info I spent about an hour looking through other books using the Stevens model number and really didn't get a lot further than number of 520's made and years of production.

Made a post telling the fella what I had found, and he responds back that I am wrong and gives me rationale as to why I am wrong. Hey in my first post I mentioned that I could be wrong ...

Anyway that gets me a little "warm" ... it's a geezer ex-Jarhead thing. So I post back (yes I know I should have just walked away, but it's the Jarhead mentality, even if that was almost 50 years ago). Then I think I'll check his profile to see if it matches my earlier thoughts, and it does, but instead of just 1 post he shows having made 6 so I click on the "list posts".

Well guess what ... in the WTB forum he has a post and in it he lists the different "Branded" Model (JC Higgins, Sears, and Western) numbers and even the fact that it is a 520A and not a 520.

Amazing that in his "Experts Forum" post he used the ONLY Brand and Model number that comes back as a 520 ... now draw your own conclusions.

I'm now back to thinking that there is an increasing number of "twits" that are jerking us around for their own amusement and questioning if I want to keep trying to help people with these obscure questions and no real profile info, 1st or low post number, etc.

So how about you ... would you be getting a little skeptical?

Would nonesense like this rigged post for help set you off a little?

Am I just being a cranky geezer with achy joints on a cold day?

I really do like to help people out and I have accumulated a pretty good sized reference library to go along with the knowledge I have picked up along the way. I'm still pretty much limited in what I can do ... improving, but not setting the world on fire, and I have the time, I just hate wasting it. Heck ... time to me is something I probably have a lot less of than many others[:D]

Thanks for putting up w/ my ramble and I really would like to hear your thoughts.

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!

Comments

• BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    CM,
    I don't blame you a bit for feeling as you do.When I saw his response to your efforts it pi$$ed me off too!I started to respond,but thought better of it(at least until I've had my 2nd. cup and can think a little better).

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    You cant satisify everyone, there is allways a crap bird out there somewhere & guess you found one.
    Sort of like a kindengarden with 3yrs olds that don't know what they got, ask for your help, then belittle you for your answer.
    Due to their own information/description shortcomings.
    Keep the Faith Semper Fi
    Another dammed old cranky jarhead..
    Walte
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,867 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I too saw his response. It sounded a little short to me. Not a response I would have left for sombody that was trying to help me. I still help when I can, that ain't often though 'cause I don't know much.

Aberdeen.gif
    81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad
    U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,452 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Contender Man, with all due respect, I don't quite get your point. I read the thread and the guy, (kid more likely) was/is a jerk in his response. Sorry, but I don't see that creating some conspiricy to jerk us around, nor for that matter does it really lessen the kindness you performed in trying to help said jerk. I can see where his response steams you, but it seems to me that a lot of beginners get things wrong, and try to appear more knowledgable than they are. He obviously made the same mistake on the 520 and has an unusable barrel to show for it, how bright could he be? Helping is still the right way to go, you learn from it, you do some good with it, and if it makes you feel better, don't respond to any poster with less than 100 posts, to eliminate the ones you suspect. Hang in and keep helping though, your efforts are part of what makes this board what it is and they are valuable![^][8D]

He Dog
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I totally agree with He Dog [but don't tell anyone[8D]]. While this guy was rude, the actual information that was in the thread was more than likely helpful to many who read the post.Also in doing the research you increased your knowledge,as we all do.Many times I spent time looking up information to answer a question only to find that it had been answered by the time I'm ready to post.Just chalk it up to ...Oh Well, next time.

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,452 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aw garsh![:I]

He Dog
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Contender- Pardon me while I hijack your thread for a quick personnal note....

Dale- for the life of me I can't find those miners lamps!!! When I do I'll send the pic.

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    I started to respond to his 1st post.
    I cross ref the Mdl 30 3 differant places to makes sure then went to the book.
    Came up with same answers as you did Contender Man.
    When I went back to post I saw your post was already there.
    I reread his post about "No General Answers" and thought I would not post a reply even if you hadn't.

BTW I never did find a 520A in any book

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.
    [Teddy Roosevelt]
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I have a Stevens (springfield model 84C ,couldnt find it anywhere under that number, finally found it and as most of the Stevens lines of .22 Cal it was lumped in with all the other model 84s, so I imagine that the 520s are also in the same cantagory, lumped together with maybe a bunch of 520s haveing just minor changes, making them not worth any more than the other. IE 520, 520A,520B

animatflip.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • old06old06 Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Contender Man you did the right thing gave hin the best reachered answer you could. If he has no better up bringing than what he showes just pass over them. I could tell the frustration in your post. Hang in there for every five like him you will get one or two that will give you a thanks and job well done.

psalms 16
  • BigBoreRobBigBoreRob Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks and job well done
    Hope that helps, coming frome a 1 poster like myself.

Ill never understand why a women would dedicate her entire life to making one man miserable when she could make so many men happy
  • MaCTMaCT Member Posts: 276 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The reason I came to this place in the first place was because of a few questions I had & more then a few answers that you all had. I hope that the few "jerks" dont ruin it for the rest of us who are looking for help! Once again thanks, the info I have recieved from this board saved me from bugging people in person [:D]

~ Give Blood - Play Hockey ~
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Contender Man, please don't get too discouraged. I've read many of your posts, and you are an asset to this forum. Thank you for spending the time to answer the both the stupid and the time-consuming questions.
  • peegee69peegee69 Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a newbe to this forum, but it has already become my favorite one because of the vast amount of information here. I've asked a few questions about different guns I have or want and this forum has always given me great information. I've even received some emails from people here helping me with information, which I greatly appreciate! Please, keep up the great work!
    Phill[:D]

If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough or using cover correctly