In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

They sank the Gen Hoyt S Vandenburg

tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
The old vandy was sunk yesterday (I believe) to be a reef.

I did not sail on the Vandy but I did on her sister ship, the Gen H H Arnold.

She was used as a tracking ship to monitor the missile shots of nations not too friendly to us. We would normaly sail off the Kamcatchka pensula or in the Indian ocean where the missiles would impact. Pretty interesting work.

If anyone here ever served in the USAF 6948ESC they will be familiar with both ships. Don't know what may have happened to the Arnold. She may be a reef now too. Too Bad!! Tom

Comments

• Options
    dbain99dbain99 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was that in the Keys, in John Pennekamp state park. I dove the Duane and the Bibb there. Awsome place.
  • Options
    tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    dbain, I thinkit was down south somewhere. I only caught a short burb and missed the details. Hope to find out more on the net. Tom
  • Options
    dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    i saw that on the news hewre yesterday. she went down quick...and straight. be some good fishing there in a couple of years.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,352 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    vandyexplosions.jpg
    SUNK! On May 27 at 10:21 AM charges detonated to send Vandenberg to her final home. She settled gracefully in 1 minute 44 seconds.
  • Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sank that sucker in over 140 FT of water, I believe. Another great way to help overconfident divers hurt themselves, just like with the Oriskany down in Pensacola. As with the Oriskany, there will now be a steady stream of divers ending up dead or in need of a medevac because they go deeper than they should, do more dives than they should, or try to enter spaces that are unsafe. Oh well.......their funeral, I reckon [:D]