In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Deer Rifle

Mike291Mike291 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Question-
I'm looking for a new Deer rifle. The norm around here is .30-.06 bolt. Some .30/30 lever action's out there to.

I'm strongly leaning to a .30-.06 bolt but want to keep my options open. I've seen some with 7mm? Just wonder what some of you (who hunt) prefer and why. (Caliber and action).

Not looking for a debate, just some educated advice.

Thanks!

Comments

• Mike291Mike291 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If money was no object,what rifle would you buy new out of the box for a Deer hunting rifle?Nothing stupid please...[:o)]
    edited November -1
    I want to see what kind of feedback I can get about your deer rifles. So tell me the good the bad and every thing inbetween about your guns.

"A good scope can end a bad situation"
    edited November -1
    If you could only have one.
    Win 94 30-30 or Ruger 44 carbine
    for White tails in the Northeast?
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Personally I'm a fan of most anything over 30 caliber with the 338 and 358 calibers being my 2 favorites.

The 30-06 will serve you well for most anything in the world with the right bullet and bullet placement.

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://canadianfirearmsexchange.com

aglore@gci.net
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot of it depends what YOU can shoot. Some can shoot big guns with a lot of recoil and others can't. It also depends a lot on the terrain you hunt. In some parts of the country 300 yard shots are the norm where other parts 100 yard shots are unheard of. I hunt mostly with a Ruger .44 mag carbine (semi-auto) for the close-in stuff and a Remington 700 in .300 Win mag for the longer shots.

You should probably try to shoot a few of the different calibers in question and work the different action types and see if YOU like one better than the other. I've personally taken more deer with a muzzleloader than all centerfires combined.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    30-06

NRA ENdowment, CRPA Life, NRA ILA EVC, Past President NRA Members Council
    Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem. Semper Fidelis
    marinesega2.jpg
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    I prefer the 270 and the 308, never was a fan of the 30/06!!

pa.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIR'S - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on your hunting style. Do you have long range shots? If so you want a flat shooter. Do you like your deer meat? If so you may want a smaller caliber. I like a very fast gun because I get shots that can go out as far as you want to shoot. I have not lost any deer meat but I know of others where it destoyed most of the meat. My boy did very well with a .243 this year. But he was not taking any shots over 300 yards.

My suggestion for the best flat shooting deer rifle with out the major meat damage would be a 25-06.

Mad Dog
    edited November -1
    THANKS ALL!

Bambihunter :

Terrain -
    Northern Minnesota - heavily wooded - probably 100 yd. or less shots

Caliber capability -
    2 years as an Infantryman, M60 Gunner (Battalion Top Gun!) and Four years as an M-1 Tanker. I'm used to big guns....of course, that was 14 years and one rotator cuff injury ago...
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    30-30, 35Rem etc Excelant out to 150yd, have the advantange of being chambered in light weight fast handling "brush" guns.
    7-08, 260Rem, 308 etc Excelant out to 300yd, offered in short good handling bolt actions.
    270, 280Rem, 30-06 etc (this also includes the mil-surp's) excelant out to 300yd, offered in most action styles, tend to be slightly heavy for fast handling.
    IMHO 243 and 25-06 are at the borderline of to small, as the margin for error is small (yes they work well if the bullet is placed properly, but a small amount of shooter error results in a lost animal).
    7Mag, 300Mag anything SAUM or RUM is basicly useless in your situation, as there best area of use is the 250-500yd range (that and the "macho" guys that have a testostrone deficency).

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • old06old06 Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike291 with the last post you put up The gun type may have a bigger part than calber slection. What I would pick would be a auto, pump, or lever. Short barrel non refletive finish staying away from mag type cartages with lots of feet per second numbers tnings like the 4570 gov,44 mag, 358 win, 356win, 308win, 307 win, 35 rem, 375win, 30-30, 35 Whelen, or the new ones Marlin came out in there 94 modle 454 Casule and 480 ruger would be the guide lines I would have in mind.

psalms 16
  • 257izmycal257izmycal Member Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Simple, 257 Roberts!

Try a decent 100 grain bullet and you have meat. Minimal damage, low recoil and it will work on those 200-250 yard shots that might occur.

You're a statistic whether you want to be or not.
  • kenneth and melissakenneth and melissa Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 2 i hunt with when i'm gonna be in a stand i use my savage 30-06 but when in brush my marlin 30/30

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let people have guns ...why should we let them have ideas? --Joseph Stalin
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    30-06
    Lots of different ammo readily available.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I knew it! I knew it!! I just danged knew it!!!
    pabooger is a heretic!!!
    OleDuk[:D][:D][:D]

However, one is the right caliber, the other is the right case!
  • OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I knew it! I knew it!! I just danged knew it!!!
    pabooger is a heretic!!!
    OleDuk[:D][:D][:D]

However, one is the right caliber, the other is the right case!
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The fact many of your local hunters own both 3006 and 30-30 rifles
    tells me there is a mix of both Open and thick wooded areas.
    A 3006 caliber is an excellent deer rifle for most hunting conditions from point blank out to 300 yards or so, the 30-30 is perfect
    for thick woods shots under 100 yards and thats its limitation
    I know many deer have been shot with the 30-30 way beyond 100 yards
    but it dont have the energy to justify those shots IMO.
    I would consider the 308 winchester, its Just a Hair under the 3006 in velocity/energy and can be had in nice compact carry friendly rifles that would rival the traditional 30-30 carbine in that sense.
    Check out a 308 [;)]

use_deer.jpg
  • FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you don't mind single shots, you might like the N.E.F. Survivor in .308. I got one this fall and loved it. Even with the heavy barrel it only weighs in at about 6 lbs. Real short and easy to carry, durable, and can be had under $200. The thumb-hole stock really helps with steadiness too (got about 1 1/2" groups). You can also order extra barrels for other calibers. Only complaint would be that it pounds you a little bit with no recoil pad.