In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Takes Order of Congress to get Marines to obey...

jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
In 1985, the United States Armed Forces replaced the M1911 with the Beretta 92F to the everlasting consternation of 1911 devotees everywhere. There were several reasons for the switch. The U.S. was the only NATO country not using a 9mm as the standard issue sidearm and there was a desire to issue a pistol chambered for the ubiquitous 9mm for logistical reasons. The Marines in particular resisted the switch to the Beretta and only accepted delivery when ordered to do so by Congress. Many special forces units within the armed services still select 1911-patternsidearms. In 1998 The FBI S.W.A.T. team adopted the Springfield 1911A1 as standard issue. Anecdotal evidence out of Desert Storm indicates that the Berettas jammed because of the fine sand in the desert and the Marines broke out the 1911's.

WAY TO GO. TELL THOSE BEAN-COUNTERS WHERE TO SHOVE IT!

Comments

• 0341USMC0341USMC Member Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And the MARINES are going back to the .45 very soon.I was in one of those companys that did break out the .45

0341USMC
    SEMPER FI
    Christian
    American
    heterosexual
    PRO GUN
    conservative
    Any Questions?
  • TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We never should have switched.[B)]

Trinity +++

"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."(Proverbs 22:6)
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Never did understand why the military went for the Beretta. More bullets? Sure, but if we went to .12 caliber, each clip could hold thirty rounds at least!

Glad to hear the military is going back to .45. .45's rule.
  • kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WHAT THE HE!!?

Sanity is going to prevail? In the US government run organization? Oh God! The end is near![:D][:D][:D]

I am looking forward to the 1911 taking back its place as the standard sidearm in the Marine Corps. I may not always agree with the Marines but they know a good weapon when they shoot it.[;)]

James
    royalthaiarmy.gifrtaflag.jpg
    Do your troops train with live cobras? ROYAL THAI ARMY DOES!
  • trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry I read this thread. I really am.

Now I want to get a .45 ACP 1911, like I had many moons ago. The wretched thing is, I'll have to register it in order to have it legally in Omaha, and I LOATHE the idea of registering a handgun (or any other.)

You people irritate me, pulling a stunt like this. This is YOUR fault. I hope you're all happy now.

It's unbelievable, how hard it is typing this with a straight face....
  • PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    If its good enough for the marines, i hope that the army decides to re-adopt it. As a tanker, the pistol is my standard weapon. I can shoot the M9 just fine, but I would much rather be issued a 1911. I would like to know that my weapon packs the power to stop a threat, and not simply piss him off.

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr
  • NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    Any friends of the .9 out there? Hello?
  • TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    9's suck![:D]

Trinity +++

"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."(Proverbs 22:6)
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Any friends of the .9 out there? Hello?

HECK NO!!!!

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    9mm can be a good round if you shoot +P's in a JHP bullet, but I would guess the military sticks with hard ball ammo which in a 9mm pistol is pretty weak for combat purposes. Screw NATO, I'd rather have a 45 ACP.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    I'd agree that the .45 is a better man-stopper than the 9mm but to go back to the 1911...??? Come on! An outdated design and a heavy, low capacity pistol. I say go to the full-sized Glock .45. Or better yet, the 10mm.

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    If ya want higher bullet capacity just get the 20 round mags, available for the .45 colt

eagle.gif
    "It is hard to soar with Eagles when your surrounded by Turkeys"

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    I would opt for the 10mm. The 1911 design is a very good one but there are better. The military managment never like the lock and cock capability. my 2 cents [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    They could use the para lda. High cap, double action.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • gunrunner1911gunrunner1911 Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 9mm is easier on recoil for the first time pistol shooter. I was a PMI in the MC. Of course now we get to the point of after the first 3 rounds of practise at the qual course it has no bearing and is rendered moot. The .45 issue pistols were tired and needed a serious update and reissue,most complaints were poor accuracy. If your 9 had the same number of rounds fired through it that is listed on a McDonalds sign I would venture to guess in too would be inaccurate. Todays Para hi caps in either LD or Single action would be fine choices as a 10mm version of the same (love my Delta Elite!) 10mm ballistics rock!! I have proven time and time again 9mm qual score 383-385. My personal P-14 387-390. Much more friendly and easier to shoot and I shot both every single day for weeks on end while I was teaching.