In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What are the worst states for gun control?

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
We keep hearing of states like CA and MD getting hammered for their anti gun laws, I'm curious as to who holds the highest position of the worst states for gun owners.

Comments

• Options
    crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would say
    California
    New York
    Washington D.C.
    Texas
    Pennsylvania
    Illinois
    Maryland
    are probably at the top of the list but there could be worse out there but these are pretty stringent.My state still appreciates peoples rights to keep weapons for self protection,not just hunting.They seem to understand alot can happen when cops arent around or in the time it takes them to get there and that not everybody is all "love your neighbor".

"A gun is as good or bad as the man using it"
    -Shane-
  • Options
    goldslammergoldslammer Member Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's three that I know of: Maryland, Maryland and Maryland. I should know I live there [:(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Texas? Suprising.

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    This survey is a bit dated (2000) but prob still true.

http://www2.soros.org/crime/PRguncontrol.htm

Steel is for guns Tupperware is for leftovers

happy_fc.gif
  • Options
    crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Texas? Suprising.
    [:D][:D]...Just kidding....I live in California. I don't know of a worse place for the gun owner. Never been to Mass or MD. Lived in Arizona and although it used to be great, it's slowly slipping....[:D][}:)]
  • Options
    HeavyBarrelHeavyBarrel Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It certainly is not Texas, we do suffer from a large influx of transplant liberals who bring thier wack views to the burbs and larger cities down here, but once you get outside the burbs it' back to "real" Texas.
  • Options
    HeavyBarrelHeavyBarrel Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Texas you may carry a long gun with you in your truck loaded and within reach as much as you want.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I can't believe someone put PA in the same class as MD![:0] Only bad thing about PA is handgun registration, other than that, shall issue CCW with no classes, class III permitted, no gun limits, no waiting periods and so on. I have always thought that PA was right up there with the more lax states in regards to gun laws.

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • Options
    kenneth and melissakenneth and melissa Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is not Texas . Texas is the wild wild west [:D]

Thomas Jefferson, of Virginia:
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is definitely these states :
    1) California
    2) New Jersey
    3) Maryland
    4) Massachussetts
    5) New York

God gave us all a gift. Have you found yours yet ?
  • Options
    gunrunner68gunrunner68 Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pennsylvania is not on this list!!!

"I did not get where I am today by worring about what I did last night"
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Idaho is by far the worst. Don't move here.
  • Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Whoever said Pennsylvania is definatly full of Sh it!!!!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

Kids that fish, hunt and trap have never mugged any old ladies!

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • Options
    mandersonmanderson Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maryland sucks! I live here too. They've got another ban bill going through system now. I have heard that they actually want to ban semi-auto shotguns, but haven't seen it in writing. They are attacking anything that has the word "auto" attached to it.

Here's a cute little article about what happened at a hearing recently in Annapolis, our stupid state capitol:

http://wbal.com/stories/templates/news.asp?articleid=15735&zoneid=2

Note particularly the idiotic quote from Senator Ralph hughes:

"I'm not confusing the issue," Hughes responded. "It's the guns that you sell that are killing people."

Idiot! Caused quite a stir in the local media here for a few days.

Thank god we have some people like Stephen Moyer in our state police force. I am proud to say he is actually a very good friend of mine from high school. I'll be seeing him soon, and I am certain we will have a long discussion about this.
  • Options
    kaliforniankalifornian Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FYI:

CA is most certainly not gun friendly, but it may not be quite as horrible as what many gun lovers think.

Most counties still issue CCW's, gun stores and shooting ranges can be found easily, etc.

I hate many of our stupid laws, but we can still have, carry and use 'em. The catch lies with state wide bans against pistol grips on rifles, whimsical outlawing of various weapons, stupid drop-test laws that are different than Federal standards and other things that significantly reduce what we can buy. More than the general state problems, though, are county and city laws. LA, for instance, is as rabid anti-gun as most people think the state is.

I'm not saying CA is a great bastion of freedom, just thought I'd let those who don't know that they haven't quite managed to ban and confiscate everything yet. I'm ready to start my CCW process and will be submitting my request soon. Wish me luck!

http://ynot4free.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know I will get flamed for this but I think the FOID card idea wouldn't be bad if it was used to our benifit. If you have a FOID card that means you are not a criminal right? SO if you can walk into a store, lay the card down and buy what you want free of the NICS call and registration and then couple that as a CCW then it wouldn't be bad.

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    California. The Curio and Relic Federal Firearms License will not be able to be used by citizens in California whom hold it in 10 months.

Ten day waiting period. Mandatory trigger locks. Pistol certificate prior to purchase. Only allowed to purchase handguns approved by the State. No person to person sale with FFl involvement. No gun adds in papers. Some rifles banned. Magazines banned. Some ammo banned.

Pennsylvania requires handgun registration? When did this start? PA State Police have a illegal database of firearms ownership.

kabalogoshadowed.gif
  • Options
    jhimcojhimco Member Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MOST DEFINITELY
    ILLINOIS!!!!![}:)]
  • Options
    toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    Ohio is'nt the greatest either.[}:)]

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!

If they're still moving, put another round in them!

P239n_Beauty.gif
  • Options
    FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by goldslammer
    There's three that I know of: Maryland, Maryland and Maryland. I should know I live there [:(]

I'm with goldslammer

Frog

divemed1sm.jpgpost2002-ib.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • Options
    njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    I feel like I'm on candid camera here. [V]

New Jersey is the worst and there's nobody close enough to be in second place.

NJ is the only State in the Union not to recognize a C&R license.

njretcop@copmail.com

vic.jpg

Charlie
  • Options
    FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by manderson
    Maryland sucks! I live here too. They've got another ban bill going through system now. I have heard that they actually want to ban semi-auto shotguns, but haven't seen it in writing. They are attacking anything that has the word "auto" attached to it.

I know Garagiola (dem) who sponsored the new AWB bill. I emailed him and he has not responded. I think he is riding the DC sniper and trying to make a name for himself. He was elected last year for the first time to the MD senate and has his eye on national politics. Sell out (just read the writing on the wall).

Frog

divemed1sm.jpgbl-98-18fullcar-small.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • Options
    Broomie2Broomie2 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Add to this list, New Jersey being the only state where C&R's are issued but not allowed to be used.
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    I think if you look at the states with the highest violent crimes rate you will see they have the toughest gun control laws too. To me, that kind of debunks the whole arguement for gun control. BTW, MFI you are leaving off Illinois and Missouri.

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed"

. and the antithesis to this philosophy was uttered by Bill Clinton "I smoked it, but I didn't inhale."

NRA Life Member
  • Options
    homer4homer4 Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maryland. It's rough here folks.

"...Abby someone""Abby who"..."Abby Normal"
  • Options
    hondohondo Member Posts: 181 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Red223, don't count on the C&R restrictions on Calif. holders of a C&R taking effect in 2005. Implementation of the paperwork and notification to the state DOJ by out of state vendors still needs to be funded. With the acute shortage of money here it may not happen. If the additional funding is available the vendors can still sell to Calif. C&R holders if they do the paper work. Any additional information that you might have on this subject would be appreciated.....Hondo
  • Options
    joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    NJRETCOP: Charley, hate to disagree with you but although NJ has some
    queer gun laws, like carrying hanguns which aint good, the rest
    are not really too bad. Yes, one needs a NJ FID which I paid about
    $5.00 for about 20 years ago and still good. Here in Middletown,
    a handgun purchasing permit is total of $2.00 (with a NJ FID already).
    Waiting time is quite short. Seems like this is up to the Cheif of Police or whatever for the waiting time. Different towns or cities
    seem to make up their own rules . Maybe I am just lucky but no hassle.
    Just got 2 permits a few months ago. No fingerprinting, just 2 references and $2.00 ea. Registered my AR-15 about 15 years ago in NJ
    and that is still good. Granted, I dont like it but I can still live
    with it. It aint like it sure used to be, but times change.
  • Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i agree that the foid idea is great if it worked as stated above, but illinois is a very parnoid state. The mayor of chicago/ gov of il want no gun stores with in a 100 mile radius of his town, will it happen , i doubt it, but i dont want to wait to see if it is going to
  • Options
    375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pennsylvania ???
    The #%@&*ing so-called Game Commission is tring to wipe-out the deer heard. TOO MANY deer and not enough $$$$ , the #%*$ing so-called Fish commission poisioned the Trout hatcheries with P.C.B.'s ( "trout are OK" they say , just don't eat alot of them )and raise licence fees.
    But as far as strick gun laws go , were still good with that one .
    Just my 2 cents worth
    By the way , I'm in Northumberland County Pa. Deer are still OK in our neck of Penn's woods . No thanks to the Pa Game wreckers !!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Joe,

You are very lucky to receive your handgun permits so fast. I know one fella here in my neck of the woods was waiting so long he died and his son inherited the permit, LOL.

It kills me to walk into a gun show in Penna and watch them ne'er-do-wells show their drivers license and walk out with a pistol. [V] Why, you may not believe it, but there's all kinda nuts living there!! [^]

njretcop@copmail.com

vic.jpg

Charlie
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where I am not living !!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nut's I resemble that remark!!! Although it is true that you do not need a pistol permit to purchase a handgun in Pa, you do have to pass the nics check, so whats the big deal???[xx(]

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

• Options
    edited November -1
    WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL.......WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL ya ask.

I'll tell ya WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL. Say I wanna buy a handgun in NJ.

I gotta go to Police Headquarters (where, by the way, there is no place to park) fill out two forms, pay a 5.00 fee, get fingerprinted, give two references who are not related to ya..........and then wait about 6 weeks for the permit. You go back to headquarters (where's there still no place to park) and you're sent to the Chief's office, where he proceeds to give ya a lecture about the danger of owning handguns..........

THAT'S THE BIG DEAL SON.........And if'n I buy one in PENNA, it gotta be sent to my FFL for a 50.00 fee and 15.00 nics fee, then I start the above procedure........

Ask Joe if I ain't telling ya the truth, the whole truth and nuttin but the truth!

njretcop@copmail.com

vic.jpg

Charlie
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thats why I didn't feel so bad about buying that PPK from the Towelhead, when I knew you wanted it!!!! Stole it for $300

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

• Options
    edited November -1
    Cripes Charlie, that sounds like NY!

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Pa,

That's not funny...........if'n I thought fur a minute ya was serious about buyin MY gun, I'd report it stolen by terrorists, hahahahaha

njretcop@copmail.com

vic.jpg

Charlie
  • Options
    gunrunner1911gunrunner1911 Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Commywealth of Massholians ranks high. It's the land of $800 used POS Norinco 1911s cause you can't import any more into the state along with several other desirable guns. Handgun permit is $100 for 4 years and they don't have to give you one. There is also three levels class A is a license to carry class B allows you to carry locked and unloaded no high capacity firearms and Class C is useless. If you put up a stink about not gettting a license they will just issue a class C to shut you up. No high caps unless you have a class A Can also issue all lic with limitations such as class A No Carry cause if you have a high cap they can't "make" you a criminal. This place S@%^#%S[:(!]I can't wait to sell my collection of 1911's for half a million my 1000 sq' 2 bedroom ranch on less than an acre for 1 million and move some where else. Reno here I come in 11 days for a scouting mission.